• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Players you have a love/hate relationship with

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah good call on MJ GIMH.......it is hard to dislike him when you hear him talk, then you see him bullying our tail end and you just think WAC.......but you think that with the utmost respect.

Another one for me is Ricky Ponting. For most of his career he epitomised what we English love to hate in the Aussies and I was sucked into that lock stock and barrell.......but towards the end I found myself really liking the guy. I think he did "grow up" a lot and certainly developed some real humility when things started to go not so well for him and his side. He was my fav pundit in the Big Bash and I never thought I'd ever think that of him.

Kudos Ricky.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
I'm a Broad fanboi as well. Except maybe for a brief period in 2011 before the India series. Don't think I could ever dislike him after that.

Midwinter

State Captain
Mitchell Johnson

Mainly hate - potentially being good but wasting it so often

Feeling the love now tho'

Last edited:

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Another one for me is Ricky Ponting. For most of his career he epitomised what we English love to hate in the Aussies and I was sucked into that lock stock and barrell.......but towards the end I found myself really liking the guy. I think he did "grow up" a lot and certainly developed some real humility when things started to go not so well for him and his side. He was my fav pundit in the Big Bash and I never thought I'd ever think that of him.

Kudos Ricky.
Agreed - he was one of my least favourite players ever until 2009. What changed it was his reaction to that disgraceful greeting he got in Cardiff, and the dignity with which he bore all the **** he had to put up with from the T20 mentality England fans for the rest of the summer - I even ended up happy to see him score runs and wishing he'd give 'em some **** back so I could revert to my traditional opinion, but he didn't, and I ended up admiring the bastard even more - pleased to say though that no other Aussie has had that effect on me since

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Agreed - he was one of my least favourite players ever until 2009. What changed it was his reaction to that disgraceful greeting he got in Cardiff, and the dignity with which he bore all the **** he had to put up with from the T20 mentality England fans for the rest of the summer - I even ended up happy to see him score runs and wishing he'd give 'em some **** back so I could revert to my traditional opinion, but he didn't, and I ended up admiring the bastard even more - pleased to say though that no other Aussie has had that effect on me since
Exactly the same turning point for me Fred......how he handled himself in 2009 after the **** he copped from our crowds was what won me over......."they don't seem to like me much here" he said with wry a smile....classic.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
That's not really love hate as much as a bloke just being a **** for years and then no longer being one imo

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
That's not really love hate as much as a bloke just being a **** for years and then no longer being one imo
Still was one tbh. Didn't he argue for around 10 mins with Aleem Dar in the 2011 ashes? Genuinely think we started liking him more because of his own patchy form coupled with the fact that his team started losing which allowed him to show the gracious -in-defeat side of himself more

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
WTF Jono.....we used to hate him and now we love (tolerate) him.......what more do you want from us in this thread??:p

Pothas

Still was one tbh. Didn't he argue for around 10 mins with Aleem Dar in the 2011 ashes? Genuinely think we started liking him more because of his own patchy form coupled with the fact that his team started losing which allowed him to show the gracious -in-defeat side of himself more
Yeah it gave him that sanse of vulnerability which make people so much more sympathetic. I actually liked him a bit before that though, when anyone is that good at something, like he was for a while, I find it impossible not tentire them no matter how much of a **** they are. Ronaldo being the prime example today.

Jono has a point though, gaining respect for an old adversary is not the same as a love/hate relationship. I have a lot of respect for Graeme Smith these days but I will never love him.
I think Jono has a point

BoyBrumby

Englishman
McGrath.

Old school country boy Pommie basher and, as Gideon Haigh memorably described him, "the most unremarkable remarkable player ever", but man he was good.

He was like a master cabinet maker. It might not always have been thrilling to watch a skilled craftsman at work, but the end product was often beautiful.

karan316

State Vice-Captain
Ravi Shastri

I love it when he keeps quite

Hate it when he opens his mouth.

Even his yawns are repetitive

Last edited:

Shri

Mr. Glass
Suresh Raina. Was one of the most exciting left handers in the world before he was found out with the short stuff. Would be so good if he could get competent in playing short balls like Ganguly did.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Ian Bell.

I think he was the pro forma for believing I was smarter than the selectors. The man who really made me come of age as an armchair fan. It seemed like for a long time he was selected almost entirely on the strength of how good Ian Bell should be at some point, provided they kept selecting him. During a time when people genuinely debated the merits of Geraint Jones batting in the top six for England it was hard to believe that there was a batsman in England genuinely as good as Ian Bell should be, so along with a host of injuries to the older players, around he stuck. I disliked him for this, I thought he'd bluffed his way into the team. But I also saw some of the good stuff, and not just shots but real series of outright dominance - like how untouchable he seemed against Pakistan in 2006 - and I remained a flip-flopper.

There was also his ongoing battle with Paul Collingwood, which seemed to be about who could test the patience of England fans more in entirely different ways. The pair of them seemed to split the supporters into idealogical camps. But while Collingwood remained in a consistent position, playing a consistent level of shockingly awful between valuable hundreds, Bell yo-yoed up and down the order and through immensely purple but brief patches of form. Ian Bell attracted opinion like a pubescent-looking wiry magnet.

It was around 2009 that I was so sick of thinking about it and changing my mind over how he might or might not help that I joined KC's campaign to Not Have Opinions About Ian Bell, and became its envoy on the now dead 606 forums. Bell was dropped from the Test team, I understood. He was recalled to the test team, I was entirely indifferent. He played an innings in the 5th Ashes Test that most people described as "entirely okay" and everything seemed fair.

My hard-fought effort to purge myself of opinion was not allowed to last, as Bell eroded all my doing by going and playing incredibly ****ing well, the ****. In 2010 he rescued a Test in South Africa and salvaged a series in the most mature and important innings of his life, before going on to play a succession of beautiful innings in Australia. The following year he showed adaptability, fluiity and consistency and averaged around 100 in Tests, while remaining a cut above every time he went to play for Warwickshire, including a successful stint as captain. I was sold. This was the second coming of a watery-eyed Christ.

And soon after that came the Dark Times. Bell was ripped a new one in the UAE and it destroyed him. I had to ask myself why I kept defending him when he reacted to even conventional spin as though the sound of bat on ball might kill him. He looked at sea against South Africa and when I still advocated his passage to India, I found myself having to frame it as there simply being no one better. But I doubted. It was hard not to notice his success or lack thereof being entirely consistent with that of the side, and the coat-tail rider idea was back, and it festered. We were back in 2006 again. His only decent knock of the year was on a dead track at Nagpur almost entirely after the other 21 players had stopped trying.

Then came 2013, and he came back to me even though I thrice doubted him, and I swear not to do so again.

grecian

I think David Gower, no-one better to watch in full flow, yet his ways of getting out was almost always the same wafting at a ball outside off-stump that really shouldn't have even challenged him. I screamed in frustration about him almost as many times as I squee'd in delight. A true enigma.

He was so odd his talent really should have been averaging over 50 he was better than everyone on the field, yet it rarely translated, why wasn't he the best, he should have been the best.

The left-handed Bell in many ways, but of course much better.