Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best club grounds

Best club grounds

Been in Adelaide for the last couple of days and on my travels around the city saw some fantastic grounds without having any idea as to whether they were 1st or 5th grade venues

At first grade level, Sydney is much the same

Upon reflection (and it's 20 years ago btw) North Sydney, Mosman, Rawson, Drummoyne, Pratten Park, Old Kings, Waitara, Howell and Manly were pretty amazing

Petersham, Coogee, Waverley and Chatswood were picturesque but with rubbish outfields/pitches and that's a reflection upon the groundsman/budget more than anything

Hurstville was butt ugly but did the job

Only Sutherland, Raby and Fairfield were little more than paddocks

Thoughts on your part of the world?

International Coach flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    Best/nicest ground I played on was Marchwiel which is at Marchwiel Hall near Wrexham. Lovely place to play and track was like a road in comparison to many others I have played on.

Although short on facilities Radella was the best experience I had in SL. The subtropical feel is just unreal.
    Diuretics are used to look good at TV shows

I played for 20 years in the Lankan team, I did not have any problems as a Tamil - Muralidaran

International Vice-Captain Riggins's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by social View Post
    Been in Adelaide for the last couple of days and on my travels around the city saw some fantastic grounds without having any idea as to whether they were 1st or 5th grade venues
    whereabouts were you
    The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.

U19 12th Man

At first grade level, Sydney is much the same

Upon reflection (and it's 20 years ago btw) North Sydney, Mosman, Rawson, Drummoyne, Pratten Park, Old Kings, Waitara, Howell and Manly were pretty amazing

Petersham, Coogee, Waverley and Chatswood were picturesque but with rubbish outfields/pitches and that's a reflection upon the groundsman/budget more than anything

Hurstville was butt ugly but did the job

Only Sutherland, Raby and Fairfield were little more than paddocks

Thoughts on your part of the world?
    UNSW Village Green has an immaculately prepared playing surface and the redeveloped grandstand makes it one of the best grounds in SGC

By contrast, the Sydney University Ovals are cow paddocks due to bearing the brunt of club rugby and SWBL in winter.
    Last edited by Second Spitter; 25-02-2014 at 08:44 PM.

Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    Yeah Village Green is the best.
    Parmi | #1 draft pick | Jake King is **** | Big Bash League tipping champion of the universe
    Come and Paint Turtle
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Kohli. Do something in test cricket for once please.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Riggins View Post
    whereabouts were you
    Lunch at government house imo
    "He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts.. . For support rather than illumination. " - Andrew Lang (1844-1912)

Quote Originally Posted by Second Spitter View Post
    UNSW Village Green has an immaculately prepared playing surface and the redeveloped grandstand makes it one of the best grounds in SGC

By contrast, the Sydney University Ovals are cow paddocks due to bearing the brunt of club rugby and SWBL in winter.
    Forgot about the uni grounds (and Bankstown) and nothing seems to have changed

Always enjoyed playing at Sydney Uni despite the conditions as the students were good guys and post match was fun

By way of contrast, Petersham Oval was worse and the opposition were always ****s plus it was in Petersham

Coogee was a shocker - half the field was lush, the other barren and the pitch was like Islamabad unless Whitney was opening the bowling

International 12th Man
    Auckland is fairly barren of them, unless you're into fielding at both fine leg and silly mid off simultaneously across two matches.

I'm sure the UK posters have some fairly compelling cases for their grounds, some of the ones I played were breathtaking.

U19 12th Man
    Forgot about the uni grounds (and Bankstown) and nothing seems to have changed

Always enjoyed playing at Sydney Uni despite the conditions as the students were good guys and post match was fun

By way of contrast, Petersham Oval was worse and the opposition were always ****s plus it was in Petersham

Coogee was a shocker - half the field was lush, the other barren and the pitch was like Islamabad unless Whitney was opening the bowling
    I played baseball at both SU and PO and SU is far worse --- hard infield, uneven outfield.

Coogee has really poor drainage, which means 1/2 gets really roughed up by the rugby boys in winter.

Cricket Spectator
    Old Reynella Oval in the far south of Adelaide, has a NZ feel about it, with pine trees spread around the oval, and a good view over the southern hills. Just a heck of a drive when you are the 12th man!

Kensington was nice in Adelaide.

Albert Ground probably the best in Melbourne. Our joint goes pretty well as a club ground that would never be used for 2nd XI.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    In Adelaide, best 'if you're good enough, you'll get something out of it', Park 25. Have a soft sport for Prospect, always felt like a lazy day even in a tense game. Worst, bloody Glandore.
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

International Vice-Captain Riggins's Avatar
    Park 25 is where sport goes to die.

School Boy/Girl Captain
    Park 25 is awful. Feel sorry for the DLCA fellas.

I think the whole complex up at Kensington is lovely. Think Park 12 (Uni #1) is lovely as well. Glandore and Bice are horrible though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information