• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best club grounds

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Been in Adelaide for the last couple of days and on my travels around the city saw some fantastic grounds without having any idea as to whether they were 1st or 5th grade venues

At first grade level, Sydney is much the same

Upon reflection (and it's 20 years ago btw) North Sydney, Mosman, Rawson, Drummoyne, Pratten Park, Old Kings, Waitara, Howell and Manly were pretty amazing

Petersham, Coogee, Waverley and Chatswood were picturesque but with rubbish outfields/pitches and that's a reflection upon the groundsman/budget more than anything

Hurstville was butt ugly but did the job

Only Sutherland, Raby and Fairfield were little more than paddocks

Thoughts on your part of the world?

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Best/nicest ground I played on was Marchwiel which is at Marchwiel Hall near Wrexham. Lovely place to play and track was like a road in comparison to many others I have played on.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Although short on facilities Radella was the best experience I had in SL. The subtropical feel is just unreal.

Second Spitter

State Vice-Captain
Been in Adelaide for the last couple of days and on my travels around the city saw some fantastic grounds without having any idea as to whether they were 1st or 5th grade venues

At first grade level, Sydney is much the same

Upon reflection (and it's 20 years ago btw) North Sydney, Mosman, Rawson, Drummoyne, Pratten Park, Old Kings, Waitara, Howell and Manly were pretty amazing

Petersham, Coogee, Waverley and Chatswood were picturesque but with rubbish outfields/pitches and that's a reflection upon the groundsman/budget more than anything

Hurstville was butt ugly but did the job

Only Sutherland, Raby and Fairfield were little more than paddocks

Thoughts on your part of the world?
UNSW Village Green has an immaculately prepared playing surface and the redeveloped grandstand makes it one of the best grounds in SGC

By contrast, the Sydney University Ovals are cow paddocks due to bearing the brunt of club rugby and SWBL in winter.

Last edited:

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
UNSW Village Green has an immaculately prepared playing surface and the redeveloped grandstand makes it one of the best grounds in SGC

By contrast, the Sydney University Ovals are cow paddocks due to bearing the brunt of club rugby and SWBL in winter.
Forgot about the uni grounds (and Bankstown) and nothing seems to have changed

Always enjoyed playing at Sydney Uni despite the conditions as the students were good guys and post match was fun

By way of contrast, Petersham Oval was worse and the opposition were always ****s plus it was in Petersham

Coogee was a shocker - half the field was lush, the other barren and the pitch was like Islamabad unless Whitney was opening the bowling

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Auckland is fairly barren of them, unless you're into fielding at both fine leg and silly mid off simultaneously across two matches.

I'm sure the UK posters have some fairly compelling cases for their grounds, some of the ones I played were breathtaking.

Second Spitter

State Vice-Captain
Forgot about the uni grounds (and Bankstown) and nothing seems to have changed

Always enjoyed playing at Sydney Uni despite the conditions as the students were good guys and post match was fun

By way of contrast, Petersham Oval was worse and the opposition were always ****s plus it was in Petersham

Coogee was a shocker - half the field was lush, the other barren and the pitch was like Islamabad unless Whitney was opening the bowling
I played baseball at both SU and PO and SU is far worse --- hard infield, uneven outfield.

Coogee has really poor drainage, which means 1/2 gets really roughed up by the rugby boys in winter.

slowerball

Cricket Spectator
Old Reynella Oval in the far south of Adelaide, has a NZ feel about it, with pine trees spread around the oval, and a good view over the southern hills. Just a heck of a drive when you are the 12th man!

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Kensington was nice in Adelaide.

Albert Ground probably the best in Melbourne. Our joint goes pretty well as a club ground that would never be used for 2nd XI.

Top_Cat

In Adelaide, best 'if you're good enough, you'll get something out of it', Park 25. Have a soft sport for Prospect, always felt like a lazy day even in a tense game. Worst, bloody Glandore.

Eloquentia

U19 12th Man
Park 25 is awful. Feel sorry for the DLCA fellas.

I think the whole complex up at Kensington is lovely. Think Park 12 (Uni #1) is lovely as well. Glandore and Bice are horrible though.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Poloc CC in Glasgow is beautiful. Set in a massive country park, you'd never guess you were in a city.

stumpski

International Captain
Most attractive outground I've seen county cricket at is Tunbridge Wells I think; the most memorable I've played at is the famous Lynton and Lynmouth, near the cliffs on the Devon-Somerset border.

Uploaded at ImageFra.me

Top_Cat

Park 25 is where sport goes to die.
Yeah, was referring to the deck only, in hindsight. I'm sure it's happened to us all but was once actually hit on the back of the knee whilst batting when some douchebag on No. 3, hitting catches to his team or some ****ing thing, forgot where he was and decided to hook one.

Last edited:

Riggins

International Captain
Yeah, was referring to the deck only, in hindsight. I'm sure it's happened to us all but was once actually hit on the back of the knee whilst batting when some douchebag on No. 3, hitting catches to his team or some ****ing thing, forgot where he was and decided to hook one.

The decks there at least for the last few years have been pretty close in nature to Port Road. Teams keep chasing down 400.