• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Death on the Road

stumpski

International Captain
Yes Graham Kersey and Ben Hollioake both in Australia of course.

I did post a comment, which 24 hours later nobody has put up, asking if you knew when drink-driving laws came in - I would guess sometime in the 1920s.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yes Graham Kersey and Ben Hollioake both in Australia of course.

I did post a comment, which 24 hours later nobody has put up, asking if you knew when drink-driving laws came in - I would guess sometime in the 1920s.
The first offence of drink driving of the sort we have now (ie there was a mandatory disqualification if convicted) was introduced in 1925, although there was an offence of being drunk in charge of a carriage etc that dated back to the 1870s - the blood/alcohol limit came in in 1967 - before that the police did all those tests about walking along a straight line and picking up a coin at the end and the like, and that meaningless soundbite that they trot out to this day first found its way into common usage "his speech was slurred and his eyes were glazed". In those days you could elect trial by jury for drink driving (you can't now) and all the young barristers used to cut their teeth on drink/drive cases - rural juries tended to be rather more forgiving than urban ones