Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Last two years - Spinners' downturn in ODIs?

First Class Debutant YorksLanka's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by karan316 View Post
    I think any spin bowler would prefer to bowl with an older ball and get a good amount of turn rather than a newer ball.
    y..

i would agree personally, i would assume that it is harder to get slower "flight and loop" with a harder ball...
    "Play Hard but play fair..."

Exactly, the skid through factor works only for the ones who bowl a flatter trajectory.
    Is this your homework Larry?

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Furball's Avatar
    So why have spinners been phenominally successful since day 1 in T20 if they can't bowl well with a new ball?

Exactly, the skid through factor works only for the ones who bowl a flatter trajectory.
    Wrong. Ones who bow; flat would not get much spin any way. Sliding it off the shiny surface will only add a tad of pace. Take a bowler like Murali or Swann who gives it a rip. If they can grip it properly the delivery that hits the shine will go straight on without any change of action at all. The doosra and armball have little differences in action. There is no way batsman can read it, when bowler doesn't know what he's bowling.
    Member of the Sanga fan club. (Ugh! it took me so long to become a real fan of his)

I don't play a high standard of cricket but as someone who tosses it up, I actually quite enjoy getting a go with the new ball. You get a lot more bounce with the new ball which encourages tossing it up above the batsman's eyeline, and the little bit of extra zip you get off the surface with the new ball allows you to be a little slower through the air without worrying about the batsmen having too much time to sit back and adjust off the pitch. If you've got a Shoaib Malik style arm ball in which the seam actually points towards first and drifts away, then a new ball can help with that too.

It doesn't really help you dry up the runs as there's more pace on the ball but, as with the fast bowlers really, it can really aid in a spinner's potency if he uses it right.
    ~ Cribbertarian ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since December 2009

Just realized I have never been given the new ball ever as a spinner. Would love to try a top spinner with a new ball sometime.

International Vice-Captain Contra's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Furball View Post
    So why have spinners been phenominally successful since day 1 in T20 if they can't bowl well with a new ball?
    Might have to do with the fact that you are constantly required to score in T20's off pretty much every over, or at least that was the case during the early years of T20. In ODIs you can still take your time during the middle overs instead of trying to force the rate and trying to hit out.

Yeah, atleast offspinners are doing ok. But we are yet to see a good legspinner after Warne and Kumble.

During the under-19 world cup, I saw a legspinner from Pakistan bowling very well, couldn't recollect his name. Hope he brings leg-spin back on the cricketing map.

I think If the new ball was so beneficial for the spinners, most teams, who have had good spinners(and crap pace bowlers) in the past would have used them more often with the newer ball. We haven't seen many spinners being used that way regularly.

Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    I think If the new ball was so beneficial for the spinners, most teams, who have had good spinners(and crap pace bowlers) in the past would have used them more often with the newer ball. We haven't seen many spinners being used that way regularly.
    Reckon that just might be because pace bowlers are better with the new ball than the old ball.

Just spit balling here...
    Parmi | #1 draft pick | Jake King is **** | Big Bash League tipping champion of the universe
    Come and Paint Turtle
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Kohli. Do something in test cricket for once please.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Reckon that just might be because pace bowlers are better with the new ball than the old ball.

Just spit balling here...
    Thats true, but there have been teams in the past who have had great spinners and horrible pace bowlers(who were just there to get the ball old), I remember many Indian lineups with poor pace bowlers, but didn't see spinners bowling regularly at the start of the innings, in any format.

Even during the time of the famous Indian spin quartet, pace bowlers were just picked to take the shine off the ball and produce some footmarks for the spinners. The spinners were happy bowling with the older ball rather than the newer one.
    Last edited by karan316; 28-02-2014 at 04:12 AM.

Meanwhile, West Indies is emerging as a new breeding ground for spinners. Sunil Narine apart, we're also seeing Narsingh Deonarine, Shane Shillingford, Samuel Badree and once upon a time Dave Mohammed get plenty of wickets, for less. In other regions (England/Africa/South-Pacific) it's still tough for the spinners to chip wickets. It's looking good in Tests, not so much in ODIs.

One case of seriously good economy in ODIs is that of Sunil Narine, who maintains an economy of a little under four, and his strike rate keeps him competitive. However, we find that he maintains those figures largely in the West Indies, and not so much even in Asia.

Sri Lanka's spin revival is also likely. We're seeing Mendis play for Lanka again, and they still have Rangana Herath, who has been getting better.
    Thats true, but there have been teams in the past who have had great spinners and horrible pace bowlers(who were just there to get the ball old), I remember many Indian lineups with poor pace bowlers, but didn't see spinners bowling regularly at the start of the innings, in any format.

Even during the time of the famous Indian spin quartet, pace bowlers were just picked to take the shine off the ball and produce some footmarks for the spinners. The spinners were happy bowling with the older ball rather than the newer one.
    Indian seam/swing bowlers often rolled the ball along the ground during a ball change, often when a spinner was due.
    "Talent is nothing without opportunity"
    "You're not remembered for aiming at the target, but hitting it"

Twenty20 used to be boring.

Sponsored...by...nothing!!!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information