Cricket Player Manager
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Last two years - Spinners' downturn in ODIs?

i have to agree with most here, think the two new balls rule has severely restricted those teams where spin bowling/reverse swing is their strength..stupid rule...
    Arjun likes this.
    "Play Hard but play fair..."

I honestly don't think the two new balls thing should be too much of an issue for spinners.

Tend to agree that there just aren't that many good spinners at the moment. Yes, the field restrictions make it a little more difficult to restrict, but they also cut off singles more and force the batsmen to take risks during the middle overs. Good spinners should still be able to take wickets and/or restrict.
    Arjun likes this.

Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    Nothing at all to do with two new balls. An argument could be made that the two new balls curtails reverse at the end of an innings but it really has no real noticeable different to spinners. The two new ball rule is great, it just doesn't work perfectly for the sub continent because the ball is easier to play against when it's new due to the slow pitches, which is reversed everywhere else in the world.

The hardest thing going against all bowlers is the one less fielder allowed outside the circle. You've gone from being able to protect pretty much 85% of the boundary to now only being about to protect around 50% of it.
    Arjun likes this.
    Parmi | #1 draft pick | Jake King is **** | Big Bash League tipping champion of the universe
    Come and Paint Turtle
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Kohli. Do something in test cricket for once please.

Thanks.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Furball's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    The hardest thing going against all bowlers is the one less fielder allowed outside the circle. You've gone from being able to protect pretty much 85% of the boundary to now only being about to protect around 50% of it.
    lrn2maths

International Regular NasserFan207's Avatar
    Its just the natural progression of sport. One tactic dominates for a while, then players/coaches work out how to deal with it, and it falls out of fashion. Then something else takes its place.
    Batsman I tolerate: V. Richards, S. Tendulkar, E. Morgan, N. Hussain. KEVIN O F******* BRIEN

Nothing at all to do with two new balls. An argument could be made that the two new balls curtails reverse at the end of an innings but it really has no real noticeable different to spinners. The two new ball rule is great, it just doesn't work perfectly for the sub continent because the ball is easier to play against when it's new due to the slow pitches, which is reversed everywhere else in the world.

Softer balls can provide a bit of protection, harder to get off the square and you can limit the regions to score more, especially behind the wicket.

Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Softer balls can provide a bit of protection, harder to get off the square and you can limit the regions to score more, especially behind the wicket.
    I know that, and I was going to include that into the post however once you weigh up that with the benefits spin bowlers get with the 'skid' through factor it is balanced out to even or close enough to.

I know that, and I was going to include that into the post however once you weigh up that with the benefits spin bowlers get with the 'skid' through factor it is balanced out to even or close enough to.
    I think any spin bowler would prefer to bowl with an older ball and get a good amount of turn rather than a newer ball.
    Last edited by karan316; 26-02-2014 at 04:41 AM.
    Is this your homework Larry?

You'd be surprised.

Two new balls are likely to be a factor, but we've seen Ajmal, Abdur Razzak and Tredwell doing well despite it. Spinners, on the whole, are not really being flexible with the rule.

That the restrictions on the number of fielders in outer areas is a problem is another piece of evidence that spinners have now become a lot more defensive, not just this season, but over the whole decade. What happened to spinners who attacked the batting and had alert, speedy catching fielders helping them?

True, most spinners bowling in this period are of poor quality. Many of them are typical ODI spinners, who bowl slow and straight, without much turn. The combination of two new balls and fielding restrictions have hampered them a great deal. I wouldn't call these two rules as negative- at least they eliminate mediocre elements of the game. However, the way captains use their spinners is also important. Many captains use spinners as restrictive bowlers, and attack with the pacers. You don't see much of what you saw of Warne and Murali in their best days. While most mediocre spinners have struggled in tougher conditions, captains have not handled some spinners properly.

Another point to note is that there's one spinner per side across most teams.
    "Talent is nothing without opportunity"
    "You're not remembered for aiming at the target, but hitting it"

Twenty20 used to be boring.

Sponsored...by...nothing!!!

International Regular NasserFan207's Avatar
    Batsmen are more powerful/have better bats too, means spinners are far more likely to be hit out the park. How many times do you see mistimed lofted shots which used to get caught on the boundary and now sail into the first row.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Arjun View Post

Another point to note is that there's one spinner per side across most teams.
    Pak suffering from over kill though. Afridi, Ajmal, Hafeez. At least one of Afridi or Hafeez shouldn't be in the side.
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

Quote Originally Posted by karan316 View Post
    I think any spin bowler would prefer to bowl with an older ball and get a good amount of turn rather than a newer ball.
    You get more variation out of a newer ball, if you hit the seam you get exaggerated turn/bounce while if you hit a shiny point you get more skid, the problem is that it's a little harder to grip and get revs on (at least I find) and that it comes off the bat a bit harder
    There are two colours in my head

Sugarealm

I blame Nathan McCullum.

Distorting global stats since 2012
    Jono likes this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information