• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Should Dhoni still captain India?

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Aaron has played, how many, 19 FCs and 19 ODs. Together, that's a little more than the number of games Ishwar Pandey and Rishi Dhawan each have played in FC. Aaron's not played much active cricket to be in shape so soon. Hope they don't lose him.

Back to Dhoni as captain, I feel it's time to move on. He's been at the helm for nearly seven years, so now is a good chance to change. Lack of tournament wins apart, the staggering count of player losses (Irfan, Mishra, Murali Kartik, Gambhir, Umesh, and several ignored Ranji stalwarts, not to mention how Ishant and Rohit have been poorly managed) isn't good. Largely the outcome of Dhoni backing only his preferred players, instead of being impartial and working with the best players the selectors provide him. I'm not even sure he's much of a strategist or tactician- his style of captaincy is only about standing by his friends.

I guess Dhoni has something to offer, maybe as limited-overs captain, but the selectors need to get rid of that club of players he's nurtured, and pick the actual best players in India. And, of course, get rid of Fletcher. Things have gone downhill since he's taken over. I've yet to find anything positive that's been introduced by Fletcher.

YorksLanka

International Debutant
i hear a lot about Dhoni "backing his players" is this really the case? surely he doesnt have 100% power on the make up of the team, doesnt the team management/coach get involved or is this not the case with the Indian team?

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
This is just me speculating without any facts but I think he's given a squad and then generally left to his own devices along with the coach, until someone keeps ****ing up and he's forced to drop them.

YorksLanka

International Debutant
oic..thanks for the insight..interesting to hear how different teams work..i suppose every captain has those players who he thinks he can always depend on and human nature comes into play..I know when i have captained teams in the years its the same- yes i know there is a huge difference between captaining a country and a club team but i think the principle will be the same..i have to say i think he is a fatnastic player btw-cant comment on his captaining skills as its not my team, but he is mr iceman..