• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

scoring terminology question

canadave

Cricket Spectator
Hi folks, I'm from Canada, and I love watching cricket :) I have a quick question about scoring terminology.

In the Ireland T20 win over West Indies yesterday, Ireland were said to have "won by 6 wickets". Now, the final scores were Ireland 117/4, and West Indies at 116/8. I do fully understand that "won by 6 wickets" is correct, and means that Ireland overtook West Indies with 6 wickets in hand remaining from their 10 allotted.

But wouldn't it really be a better reflection of the score, if Ireland were said to have "won by 4 wickets"? After all, Ireland reached exactly the same score, plus one run, as West Indies, but managed it whilst giving up FOUR LESS WICKETS than the West Indies, not SIX.

Look at it another way. Let's say Team A is 300/2 in 50 overs. Team B bats second, and scores 301/4 in 50 overs. In terms of batting, it was a very similar team performance for both sides. The sides were almost identical in this match. In fact, an argument could be made that Team B performed slightly WORSE than Team A, since they scored almost an identical number of runs, but made two more outs than Team A. But Team B is said to have "won by 6 wickets", which sounds like they won very handily.

Now in this case, I don't know what a better method would be to indicate the final score, since you couldn't say Team B "won by 2 wickets", since they were in fact 2 wickets WORSE than Team A. It just feels slightly inaccurate to have a score be completely non-indicative of "how much better" Team B was in comparison to Team A.

Just musing here whilst patiently waiting for the T20's in March :) What do you folks think?

Spark

Global Moderator
Nah, the only thing that matters is runs. The team that scored 2/300 probably needed to score more given how many resources they had left.

canadave

Cricket Spectator
How do you have zero posts?
lol...I'll take that as a compliment :) I just joined this forum to ask the question, but hopefully will post more. I've been watching cricket for years now, and even played a few times...it's tough to play cricket in Canada though, there aren't a lot of clubs around ;) At 42 now, I'm probably a little past my playing days anyway!

Jassy

Banned
Welcome to the forum, good opening post. What do you suggest when the team batting second wins but loses more wickets than the team batting first?

Last edited:

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Welcome to the forum, good opening post. What do you suggest when the team batting second wins but loses more wickets than the team batting first?
This.

Personally in LO run chases, I'd like it if they said won with x balls remaining (or balls and wickets)

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Welcome to the forum, pun on Canada Dave.

Quite a thoughtful opening post. My first one was probably about how best to kill people who prefer T20s to tests or something like... Oops! Sorry! No sweat... My views on that have been moderated quite a bit by this wonderful, informative, g̶i̶a̶n̶t̶-̶w̶a̶s̶t̶e̶-̶o̶f̶-̶a̶-̶t̶i̶m̶e̶ forum.

As for your query, I am with FP. Call a winning chase by "Won by 5 wickets and 23 balls to spare" or "Won by 1 wicket and 0 balls to spare".

Btw, what are your thoughts on the profile names Engl-Andy and Ind-Ian?

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
The method of reporting scores like that comes from test cricket (where it makes perfect sense), but you're right that it makes less/no sense in limited overs cricket.

canadave

Cricket Spectator
Thanks for the warm welcome and kind words, everyone :) (and I like the idea of Engl-Andy and Ind-Ian! haha).

As for the topic--yes, in thinking about it some more today, I think it would be best in the LO variants to simply say that a team "won by X overs". So if Team A is 300/2 in 50 overs, and Team B is 301/9 in 40 overs, then "Team B wins by 10 overs". I guess that still ignores the fact that the wickets taken was much higher, but....

I guess it'd still be odd, too, that if Team B wins in the same over as Team A, then you might have a situation where Team B "won by 0.2 overs". It's odd all around!