• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Allrounder rankings - too heavily skewed in favour of bowlers?

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
I think the batsman and bowling rankings are usually pretty good, but think the allrounder rankings are a bit odd to be honest.

I know that Kallis has retired and Vettori will probably never play another test, but most of these guys are top-quality bowlers who are better than bunnies with the willow - I would rather have a few top 6 batsman who bowl a bit in there though until some of the young 'balanced' allrounders (Stokes, Anderson, Neesham, Jadeja, Faulkner etc) play a few more games and can get ranking points. Anyway, the list is headed by a guy who can't get a start overseas, then positions 3-5 and 7-9 are world class pacemen who can hold a bat. The list reads:

1 R. Ashwin IND 373
2 Shakib Al Hasan BAN 364
3 V.D. Philander SA 348
4 S.C.J. Broad ENG 291
5 M.G. Johnson AUS 281
6 S.R. Watson AUS 255
7 T.G. Southee NZ 229
8 R.J. Harris AUS 217
9 D.W. Steyn SA 200
10 D.J.G. Sammy WI 195

I would rather have the likes of Matthews, Williamson, Steve Smith, Nassir Hossain etc there than some of these (good) tailenders

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
Hmm, does anyone pay any attention to these, though? At all?

I mean, the way it works (which is fairly crude), it's always going to be pretty bowler friendly for the simple reason that everyone has to bat.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
think it's just a case of not having many actual allrounders on the scene at the moment. Ashwin has put up some pretty impressive numbers with both bat and ball and the rankings don't take into account that it's all been in India.

45DegreeOBS

Cricket Spectator
I think the batsman and bowling rankings are usually pretty good, but think the allrounder rankings are a bit odd to be honest.

I know that Kallis has retired and Vettori will probably never play another test, but most of these guys are top-quality bowlers who are better than bunnies with the willow - I would rather have a few top 6 batsman who bowl a bit in there though until some of the young 'balanced' allrounders (Stokes, Anderson, Neesham, Jadeja, Faulkner etc) play a few more games and can get ranking points. Anyway, the list is headed by a guy who can't get a start overseas, then positions 3-5 and 7-9 are world class pacemen who can hold a bat. The list reads:

1 R. Ashwin IND 373
2 Shakib Al Hasan BAN 364
3 V.D. Philander SA 348
4 S.C.J. Broad ENG 291
5 M.G. Johnson AUS 281
6 S.R. Watson AUS 255
7 T.G. Southee NZ 229
8 R.J. Harris AUS 217
9 D.W. Steyn SA 200
10 D.J.G. Sammy WI 195

I would rather have the likes of Matthews, Williamson, Steve Smith, Nassir Hossain etc there than some of these (good) tailenders
I agree with you but only because you mentioned Steve Smith:laugh: #legspin