• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England v India Predictions

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Did you see games in the last decade(from the late 90s really) when India played Australia at home? Always played way better against them than they did against other opponents. Laxman built his reputation on being such a player.
India smashed everyone at home. If they didn't do as well against non-Australian opponents then there's probably a case to be made that other countries performed better in Indian conditions than that Australian team did. Sri Lanka for example might have been much more competitive than that Australian team in Indian conditions.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Southee isn't better than Broad.
He really is. Since Southee came back into the New Zealand team in June 2012 he's averaged 22.25 with the ball compared to Broad's 30.07. He's been excellent in India, Sri Lanka, the Carribean, England and New Zealand. The only bowler that's done obviously better than him in that time is Johnson. Broad's a very good bowler, but Southee is absolutely outstanding and has been for some time.

I will grant you that Broad holds a slight edge as an older ball bowler though. And I do reckon he'll cause India some problems at Lords in particular, especially if Jimmy can rediscover his form.

Last edited:

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
would say that Steyn, Philander and Harris have done better…Siddle touch and go.

Broad's had some match winning spells I suppose.

Last edited:

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
would say that Steyn, Philander and Harris have done better…Siddle touch and go.
Philander has been comparable to Southee in overall figures, but I don't think he's been as consistent. Has tended to oscilate a little bit between mind-blowing and cannon fodder. Steyn and Southee have almost identical figures in the period I mentioned (84 @22 sr 45.8 v 70@22.25 and sr 46.8), but he's obviously a much much better old ball bowler because of his ability to hit 150k and generate significant reverse swing. Harris, yeah you're probably right, but again the gap isn't huge.

Still, think this discussion belongs in the "Has Tim Southee Arrived" thread that I started last year.

Last edited:

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Those who were requesting for a bowling all rounder Bhuvi isn't too bad with the bat. Plus based on how Praveen Kumar did when we last toured England I think he'll do alright.

Ashwin/Jadeja
Bhuv
Shami
Yadav

At least looks like it's capable of 20 wickets.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
yeah but that period just coincides perfectly for Southee, doesn't it? I mean, it gives him the SL series in which he averaged 13 or something ridiculous, and probably cuts off one or two of Steyn and Philander's more exceptional performances.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
It's rather fascinating how similar Broad and Southee's stats are. Southee has roughly half the wickets from roughly half the number of matches, with basically identical average and strike rate as Broad. Their 4W, 5W and BBI are also very similar.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Agree with Benchy here. Though Southee has exponentially improved and has a career trajectory that is pretty similar to Broad's, Broad is still clearly the better bowler for mine.

He's far more likely to run through a batting order in quick time than Southee is, and is better with the old ball. Plus he pretty much shouldered the load of the entire England attack with Anderson missing and the various third seamers bowling pies during the Ashes. Seriously quality performance from him there. Don't get me wrong, Southee is quality. I just don't rate him up with Broad at the moment.

Could be a case of Australians only rating players who have performed against Australia (cough JP Duminy cough), but I'd take Broad's bowling over Southee's if all else is equal.

Steyn --> Philander --> MJ --> Harris --> Broad --> Southee on current form, IMO.

Shri

Mr. Glass
On current form? lol. MJ -> Daylight -> Steyn and then the others. Steyn better overall obv, just not atm.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
On current form? lol. MJ -> Daylight -> Steyn and then the others. Steyn better overall obv, just not atm.
Well, more a case of "as bowlers generally with a heavier weighting on current form".

Purely on form, yes, Johnson > all.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
but I'd take Broad's bowling over Southee's if all else is equal.

Steyn --> Philander --> MJ --> Harris --> Broad --> Southee on current form, IMO.
I can understand why you'd rate Broad as better than Southee, but if you're going to put a heavy weighting on current form then you pretty much have to put Southee ahead of him.

Flem274*

123/5
Broad > Southee because he's been doing it for longer. If you only want to consider the last 6-12 months or whatever then it's neck and neck imo.
haha, this is so great purely because this is main line of nswcheerleader00 argument that gets trotted out every time. Other notables include "Jesus" and ":laugh:"

In other news Howsiemark01 and co., PM me to receive a list of posters you shouldn't talk cricket with in cricket chat. Apparently we're allowed to do this nowadays.

edit: Hello, just checked and apparently we're not now. Good work all round.

Last edited: