• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England v India Predictions

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I don't want to sound like a broken record but it has been largely overlooked, not so much on these forums but in the media etc, as to just how well he bowled in Australia a lot of the time. I mean you could argue his stats are boosted by the declaration gimmes he got but on the flip side he was bowling to 300 deficits in most games which is a hiding to nothing

Our best bowler now
Yeah. Anderson should bowl much better with some runs on the board too, which is pretty much guaranteed to happen unless India make some serious changes.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
With two teams in transition (that word) home advantage is huge. Would be surprised if India won a test. 3-0 England.

Flem274*

123/5
India isn't in transition imo. The batting is sorted, and they're just looking for an excuse to boot Zaheer and Ishant. That's not really transition.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
They're looking for an excuse to retain Zaheer and Ishant, and unfortunately for them they've found it on this tour.

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
India need a seam bowling all rounder really bad, I don't think Indian seamers can handle overseas bowling workload as well as some other teams might, and this is despite Jadeja bowling some ridiculously long spells with low eco rate, which is exactly what you would want as a pace bowler if they other person can tie up an end which allows you to attack. Whatever little hope I had for Ishant after the first innings in wellington has now gone, simply isn't good enough to be a major force without help from the conditions, Bhuvi absolutely needs to play in England, I hate the fact that the keep dropping him based on his ODI performances that occur prior to the test matches on tours.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
India need a seam bowling all rounder really bad, I don't think Indian seamers can handle overseas bowling workload as well as some other teams might, and this is despite Jadeja bowling some ridiculously long spells with low eco rate, which is exactly what you would want as a pace bowler if they other person can tie up an end which allows you to attack. Whatever little hope I had for Ishant after the first innings in wellington has now gone, simply isn't good enough to be a major force without help from the conditions, Bhuvi absolutely needs to play in England, I hate the fact that the keep dropping him based on his ODI performances that occur prior to the test matches on tours.
I'd agree. Of all the teams in the world, India are probably the one that could really benefit from playing 4 bowlers + a allrounder who is reasonably decent as a bowler
The batting's not the issue - never really has been. Over the course of their 80 year test history, India's problem has always been taking twenty wickets.

I also think Dhoni should step down in tests . While he's done better than than pretty much any other Indian test keep batsman despite his limitations, I do think his captaincy in tests has run its course.

Why not play this team then ?

Shekhar Dhawan
Pujara
Kohli (c)
Rohit
Rahane
Saha
Rishi Dhawan
Jadeja or Ashwin
Shami
Yadav
Ishwar/Pankaj

From what I've heard Rishi Dhawan is the best seam bowling allrounder in India. That's not a bad team actually - would be fairly competitive in England.
At the oval, I'd maybe consider playing both Ashwin and Jadeja - but either way India do get five real bowling options.

Oh and Umesh Yadav has to play in England - he may go for some runs but I fancy he's the sort of guy who will burst through with wickets at key times and win you games. Its astonishing that Dhoni has no faith in him given he practically won India the last test he played in.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Kohli and Pujara seem to concentrate harder and perform better the higher the quality of the bowler(SA series for example). They will apply themselves and do well against Broad imo. The **** will still get a lot of wickets but Rahane/Kohli and Pujara should do well against him.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Kohli and Pujara seem to concentrate harder and perform better the higher the quality of the bowler(SA series for example). They will apply themselves and do well against Broad imo. The **** will still get a lot of wickets but Rahane/Kohli and Pujara should do well against him.

strange logic here.

Last edited:

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Honestly think we'll do ok. Apart from Rohit every other member of the batting lineup has proved himself with atleast one big innings overseas so batting wise their confidence will be good. If we bring in yadav/Bhuvneshwar and Ojha , I think we'll have an attack capable of taking 20 wickets, especially in English conditions. England's batting lineup is ridiculously young and inexperienced now with the core gone. Just hope it's not like these two tours where we get into winning positions and let it slip

Last edited:

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I agree that Pujara is likely to do well in England, but this is weird reasoning. Pujara got a couple of unplayable deliveries this series. Sure, there was one uncharacteristic flirt in the first test, but the argument that he'll do better because England's bowlers are better (which they aren't, btw, Southee>Broad) is rather strange.

Shri

Mr. Glass
I agree that Pujara is likely to do well in England, but this is weird reasoning. Pujara got a couple of unplayable deliveries this series. Sure, there was one uncharacteristic flirt in the first test, but the argument that he'll do better because England's bowlers are better (which they aren't, btw, Southee>Broad) is rather strange.
Southee isn't better than Broad.

Shri

Mr. Glass
What I meant to say is, when they are not facing joke attacks, they find a way to do better.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Southee isn't better than Broad.
well, you may rate Broad better but they're certainly within the same ballpark.

In any case, it's pretty strange that you think a batsman is more likely to score runs against a better bowling attack. When has that ever been the case?

Shri

Mr. Glass
well, you may rate Broad better but they're certainly within the same ballpark.

In any case, it's pretty strange that you think a batsman is more likely to score runs against a better bowling attack. When has that ever been the case?
Did you see games in the last decade(from the late 90s really) when India played Australia at home? Always played way better against them than they did against other opponents. Laxman built his reputation on being such a player.