• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is Mitchell Johnson like Dennis Lillee or Jeff Thompson?

Francis

State Vice-Captain
I don't think it matters which country you're from. If you're not enjoying Mitchell Johnson right now, you're not a cricket fan. He's hit rare form and really is the most entertaining cricketer out there right now. So here's my question:

Is Mitchell Johnson a bowler more akin to Dennis Lillee or Jeff Thompson?

I have a couple of Australian friends. One I know thinks that Jeff Thompson was the most overrated bowler of all time, mainly because he bowled so much rubbish (apparently!). However, other experts I know state Thompson's best, which was around about the time of the 75/76 West Indies Series, was incredible. Tony Cozier once stated Thompson was the difference in 75/76, which is saying something when you think the series was won 5-1.

Dennis Lille doesn't get enough love at CW. He's by almost unanimous testimony of all the players who played against him (Botham, Willis, Hadlee, Kahn), and those who saw him (Dickie Bird, Richie Benaud, etc) the best fast bowler ever. In addition to being aggressive, he was tactically shrewd. He also carried the Australian bowling attack more than people realize. Look at the load he carried during Botham's Ashes.

Who is Mitchell Johnson more like? Does he rely on pace and intimidation like Thommo? Or is he more tactical, while being aggressive, like Lillee?

Slifer

International Captain
Over their Careers I'll have to say he is closer to Thompson than a Lillee. Lillee of course is one of the best of all times. Mitch is performing other worldly right now but is nowhere close to that status. As far as how he compares tactically, right now I think It's a combination of both. He obviously has searing pace like Thommo, but now he is combining it with the control of Lillee and being tactical like Lillee.