• Watson

9 64.29%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Budget Draft Voting Thread

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by watson View Post
    kyear's team is probably the strongest allround team on show. The new ball partnership of Holding and Bishop is very strong and then there is Bill O'Reilly who is possibly the greatest bowler to ever wrap his fingers around a cricket ball. Importantly, O'Reilly is supported by HB Cameron who is one of the best and fastest stumpers of all time. Pollock, Worrall, and Hammond provide more than adequate support to the front-line bowlers and give the attack added variety. The first 4 batsman are world class and Hobbs-Turner-Worrall-Hammond would be a very difficult top order to dismiss. The combined captaincy skills of Worrall and Jardine means that the leadership is excellent. Kyear's team, on all levels, would be exceedingly difficult to break-down and defeat.

Holding is gun but I expect Bishop to break down in the second innings of the first match in any given series.

and how can you look past a bowling attack of Steyn, Fazal, and Sydney ****ing Barnes?
    Last edited by smalishah84; 17-02-2014 at 07:56 AM.
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

International Vice-Captain kyear2's Avatar
    This is Bishop in his prime and prior to his injuries.
    Last edited by kyear2; 17-02-2014 at 05:18 PM.
    Aus. XI
    Simpson^ | Hayden | Bradman | Chappell^ | Ponting | Border* | Gilchrist+ | Davidson3 | Warne4^ | Lillee1 | McGrath2

W.I. XI
    Greenidge | Hunte | Richards^ | Headley* | Lara^ | Sobers5^ | Walcott+ | Marshall1 | Ambrose2 | Holding3 | Garner4

S.A. XI
    Richards^ | Smith*^ | Amla | Pollock | Kallis5^ | Nourse | Cameron+ | Procter3 | Steyn1 | Tayfield4 | Donald2

Eng. XI
    Hobbs | Hutton*^ | Hammond^ | Compton | Barrington | Botham5^ | Knott | Trueman1 | Laker4 | Larwood2 | Barnes3

kyear's team is probably the strongest allround team on show. The new ball partnership of Holding and Bishop is very strong and then there is Bill O'Reilly who is possibly the greatest bowler to ever wrap his fingers around a cricket ball. Importantly, O'Reilly is supported by HB Cameron who is one of the best and fastest stumpers of all time. Pollock, Worrall, and Hammond provide more than adequate support to the front-line bowlers and give the attack added variety. The first 4 batsman are world class and Hobbs-Turner-Worrall-Hammond would be a very difficult top order to dismiss. The combined captaincy skills of Worrall and Jardine means that the leadership is excellent. Kyear's team, on all levels, would be exceedingly difficult to break-down and defeat.

Johnners team is hard to ignore because of its powerful bowling attack. If we assume that both Thomo and Tyson would be at their peak when they walk onto the field then it is probably the fastest and most aggressive on show. Add Marshall, Benaud, and Greig, and it would be irresistible on all bar a flat mud heap. Admittedly, the batting strength is not the best, but Clarke, Walcott and co. should be able to score enough runs to allow the bowlers to take control. I would have preferred a stronger keeper than Irvine, but I haven't read too many negative things about him, so he is probably good enough behind the stumps. This is an attacking team from top to bottom that will be enhanced even further by the dynamic captaincy skills of both Benaud and Greig. No Test match under their leadership will atrophy.

Marcuss' team gets my last vote because it's quartet of fast bowlers is exceedingly strong. It really doesn't matter what the conditions are - Garner, Wasim, Miller, and van der Bilj would consistently knock-over any batting line-up. Neither Armstrong or Simpson are top-shelf leg-spinners, but they should still be able to give good support to the pace attack, and exploit any spin friendly pitches. Importanty, all six bowlers, seven if we count McCabe, will be supported by the skills of Don Tallon who will exponentionally increase their combined effectiveness. The batting order is well balanced because the aggression of Trumper, McCabe, and Miller is tempered by the defence of Simpson, Hill, and Tyldesley. Warwick Armstrong provides the added depth at 7. When this batting order fires it will score a lot of runs rapidly. Armstrong is an exceptional captain made even better by the inspirational Miller, and the dogged determination of Simpson.

All of those 3 teams above, founded primarily on powerful pace attacks, but with sufficient world class batsman, and superb leadership, are brilliant.
    Thanks Watson, think I put together a pretty good team. The top four is top drawer and the top 6 over all is pretty good.
    My two main strike bowlers are both top tier ATG and Bishop in his prime was as good as anyone and they were both express.
    Last edited by kyear2; 17-02-2014 at 05:18 PM.

I'm happy with my team. Archie Jackson in place or Ernest Tyldesley would make it pretty damn sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by smalishah84 View Post
    Holding is gun but I expect Bishop to break down in the second innings of the first match in any given series.

and how can you look past a bowling attack of Steyn, Fazal, and Sydney ****ing Barnes?
    I am assuming the Ian Bishop of the early 90s when he toured Pakistan (90-91) and Australia (92-93). During his 3 Tests in Pakistan he took 16 Wickets at 18,88 and in Australia he took 23 Wickets at 20.87 over 5 Tests. Admittedly Bishop's bowling fell away during the last years of his career from 1996 to 1998. But prior to that all his series Averages were in the mid to low 20s apart from a couple of Tests against NZ. I don't think that any one Drafts a player expecting that he is in the twilight of his career and out of form.

Both Bishop and Pollock are more than capable of supporting the express pace of Holding. Add the spin of O'Reilly and Worrall, plus the medium pace of Hammond and it's a class attack made up of 6 bowlers.
    Last edited by watson; 17-02-2014 at 04:08 PM.
    Len Hutton - Jack Hobbs - Ted Dexter - Peter May - Walter Hammond - Frank Woolley - Ian Botham - Alan Knott - Hedley Verity - John Snow - Fred Trueman

Victor Trumper - Bill Lawry - Don Bradman - Greg Chappell - Allan Border - Keith Miller - Adam Gilchrist - Alan Davidson - Shane Warne - Dennis Lillee - Glenn McGrath

Eds
    Watson and perhaps kyear a fair way in front for me. Watson with one of the better drafting performances I've seen -- wouldn't mind a team like that in a straight 14-man draft with no budgets!

Monk gets 3rd place. Love the top order and the new ball pair is just fantastic.

Morgie and ohnoitsyou really unlucky there though.

Other highlights include Garson's opening pair, Johnners' pace attack, Michaelf7 (who's been a bit hard done by really) on a rank turner would wipe the floor with everyone and Marcuss's pace attack which is probably the best in the competition. All in all it looks a fantastic draft and I can only concur with fred's thoughts earlier in this thread.
    "If that Swann lad is the future of spin bowling in this country, then we're ****ed." - Nasser Hussain, 1997.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Be honest everyone my attack is immense

Dan
    Global Moderator / Cricket Web Staff Member Dan's Avatar
    A small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Betelgeuse
    Quote Originally Posted by GIMH View Post
    Be honest everyone my attack is immense
    Yeah, just a lack of quality batting holding you back. McGrath/Bond/Swann would be such a gun attack.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    Yeah, just a lack of quality batting holding you back. McGrath/Bond/Swann would be such a gun attack.
    IMO opinion Simon Jones was the standout English bowler of the famous 2005 Ashes campaign. People rave about Flintoff, but it was Jones who quietly bowled England to its historic win. Such as shame that his career was ruined by knee injury. Jones in full form was almost Bond's equal from what I can remember.
    Last edited by watson; 17-02-2014 at 09:46 PM.

The artist formerly known as Monk Red Hill's Avatar
    IMO opinion Simon Jones was the standout English bowler of the famous 2005 Ashes campaign. People rave about Flintoff, but it was Jones who quietly bowled England to its historic win. Such as shame that his career was ruined by knee injury. Jones in full form was almost Bond's equal from what I can remember.
    Yeh, I really rated him. Shame for England he was cruelled by injuries. He just seemed to always be applying pressure and asking questions of the batsmen in 2005. And he really bullied Clarke in that series. Had Clarke second guessing himself in a planned assault of verbal intimidation and aggro.
    I'd like to imagine in cricketing heaven that Hughes has already found Archie Jackson and they're sitting, smiling and discussing what might've been, and also discussing how fickle both batting and life can be. Maybe Trumper sits close by, nodding.

Watson, KYear & Michael just over ankitj.

Reasonably happy with my team, screwed up 2 selections though. First by picking Irvine, caught out by cricinfo listing every who has ever kept in park cricket one time as a wicket-keeper. The second by misreading Greig's wicket tally, meaning I hadn't left myself enough wickets to pick Johnson
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Mitch Johnson is ****ing awesome for cricket.
    Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    Ponting's ability to ton up in the first innings of a series should not be understated. So much pressure, so important. What a great!

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    Realised too late I had plenty of runs left. And didn't plan it out well enough

But with that attack I don't need big scores

Congrats to Watson I guess

Yes Congrats to Watson. Great job.

And again thanks to Marcuss as well, really was a fun draft that also made us use even more strategy and planning than usual.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    congrats to watson, kyear2, and Ankit for taking top spots
    ankitj likes this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information