• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who will be the next bower to do a "Johnson"?

Spark

Global Moderator
I'd say Finn is the closest to Johnson, gets wickets but bowls lots of dross. Doubt he'll ever do what the current Johnson is doing though.
The first part of Johnson's career was a lot like this, to be fair. Would get 4/50 and no could entirely explain how he did it so often aside from batsmen just not being used to that line angling across, though in that part of the career he wasn't the bowling equivalent of a loose hosepipe.

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
Yes Morkel. Watching that last test. Morkel was bowling quicker than Johnson for periods and getting monstrous bounce as he always does and yet got 1-111 over the course of a match. Don't think he's ever really been as bad as Johnson can be and is regularly good these days but really should do better than he does and has the potential to dominate teams. Dunno if it's because he's got Steyn and Philander by his side that he is rarely dominant. Not convinced though he will go on a run like Johnson but he has the rare physical qualities.

Last edited:

Xuhaib

International Coach
Nobody can do what mitch is doing I am a product of the 90,s generation the decade of fast bowling and I haven seen such thing ever it's just not wickets it's the fear factor he is bringing batsman genuinely fear his life it's something Akhtar would do but was never fit enough to sustain it mitch has now done it in 12 innings a row

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
To be fair, Akthar did not bring the fear factor in to the game as Johnson, because Akthar was a bowler who succeeded by bowling full. It was the mere hopeless that he brought on batsman was special. Batsman knew that if he gets it right, there's hardly anything can be done against Akthar. Johnson brings fear of injury, but not the hopelessness that you are a sitting duck, even if you are ATG, associated with Akthar.

Shri

Mr. Glass
How many wickets would he be sitting at now if he didn't try to find swing and lose it all for a bit?

MrPrez

International Debutant
Haha yeah true. Didn't see your post mentioning him.

Only issue is people wouldn't argue against his re-selection based on them thinking he'd suck. But Morkel hasn't been dropped so he'd also not fit the bill.
Could be dropped for Hendricks soon, I'd think. If he has a poor series it's certainly not out of the equation.

the big bambino

International Captain
Please please please drop Morkel. Bad figures don't necessarily mean bad bowling. Whenever I see him bowl he's always looking dangerous. I reckon Oz's chance of taking the rubber increase by great margin without him there. Such a move might just save Rogers' career too.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
Morkel doesn't seem like he possesses the volatility that Johnson does. The vulnerability, yes, and all the baggage that goes along with it perhaps. What MJ has got going right now is ****ing combustive.

sambha

Cricket Spectator
MOhammed Irfan the giant could have been but He gets injured too often and its a pity that he started playing cricket late otherwise we had someone who could unleash pure terror......undoubtedly he is the only one who can match what johnson does