Cricket Player Manager
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: 10 overs in 50 overs

Icon6 10 overs in 50 overs

In ODI, a Bowler can bowl only 10 overs in 50 overs.
    There should be same limitations in First Class Cricket, including Tests.
    One Bowler can bowl only 10 overs in the 1st 50 overs. The same Bowler can bowl only 10 overs in the next 50 overs. The same continues.

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    Why?

The artist formerly known as Monk Red Hill's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lokomotiv View Post
    One Bowler can bowl only 10 overs in the 1st 50 overs. The same Bowler can bowl only 10 overs in the next 50 overs. The same continues.
    How do you manage to keep thinking of this revolutionary stuff?

The inner workings of your brain must be something to behold.

When I saw the OP I hoped Loko might be questioning why it is that in a limited overs match no bowler can deliver more than 20% of the overs, a rule that hasn't changed since 1964, and which I think is well worthy of debate. Instead he has come up with what I think is his silliest idea yet, and that's quite an achievement in the face of some stiff competition

The artist formerly known as Monk Red Hill's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fredfertang View Post
    When I saw the OP I hoped Loko might be questioning why it is that in a limited overs match no bowler can deliver more than 20% of the overs, a rule that hasn't changed since 1964, and which I think is well worthy of debate. Instead he has come up with what I think is his silliest idea yet, and that's quite an achievement in the face of some stiff competition
    Agreed, there is a good argument for a LO team to only require four bowlers. That said, I like the selection challenge needing 5 bowlers poses.

I think there should have to be five bowlers, but I'd like it to be a limit of 12 overs per bowler in a 50 over match - would give the captains many more options, and a lot more to think about
    Red Hill likes this.

International Coach Agent Nationaux's Avatar
    I really hate this rule in ODI's because it reduces the quality of cricket. It means teams select bits and pieces players just to fill in the numbers. If this rule was removed, we'd get to see proper batsmen and bowlers, thus improving the quality of the ODI matches.

State Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Nationaux View Post
    I really hate this rule in ODI's because it reduces the quality of cricket. It means teams select bits and pieces players just to fill in the numbers. If this rule was removed, we'd get to see proper batsmen and bowlers, thus improving the quality of the ODI matches.
    Can't agree with this - ODIs are boring enough as it is without having a Murali bowl 20+ overs of an innings. I'm a bowler at heart and keen to see a redress of how heavily the format is weighted towards the bat, but a balancing of a side and seeing a captain squeeze 5-10-15 overs out of 5th-6th bowling options is all part and parcel of it. Imagine it on the sub-continent - you'd pick 8-9 frontline batsmen, and top the rest up with spin and maybe a seamer if you needed to. Not attractive cricket for mine

12 overs probably isn't a bad yell.
    Smudge likes this.

International Debutant the big bambino's Avatar
    What Fred said.

Icon6

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Nationaux View Post
    I really hate this rule in ODI's because it reduces the quality of cricket.
    Maybe you are right, but without the rule of limitation, Cricket could become a Baseball-like sport with the system of the rotation of pitchers.
    Last edited by Lokomotiv; 19-02-2014 at 03:26 AM.

U19 Debutant
    Quote Originally Posted by Lokomotiv View Post
    Are you Zaheer Khan?
    Agent Nationaux likes this.

International Coach Agent Nationaux's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuller Pilch View Post
    Are you Zaheer Khan?

Loko just wants cricket to be more like baseball.

Don't be jealous of the Georgie Pie super smash
    I don't want tim southee bowling 12 overs in an ODI - as I reckon the consistent workload over a series could lead to injury. I wouldn't care about NMac being allowed to bowl 12 overs however.
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I got great enjoyment in going to the game and shouting "WHY THE **** ISN'T THIS GAME BEING PLAYED AT THE BASIN?!>!?!?" to reasonably significant cheers from the sparse crowd
    Proudly against the bring back Bennett movement since he is injury prone and won't last 5 days.

International Vice-Captain Days of Grace's Avatar
    How about just reducing the number of overs the team has to bowl from 50 to 40 but keeping the 10 over limit for bowlers? The recently prolific article writer Martin Crowe had a piece on that in cricinfo last month.

The ideal test match attack is four main bowlers, one or two of which will bowl more than the other two or three, with a 5th bowler to fill in some overs and perhaps chip in with a couple of wickets.

The ODI game places too much importance on the 5th bowler, thus diluting the overall team quality in batting and bowling.
    Greatest Ever Test XI: JB Hobbs, L Hutton, DG Bradman (c), IVA Richards, BC Lara, GS Sobers, AC Gilchrist (wk), Imran Khan, RJ Hadlee, MD Marshall, SK Warne 12th man: M Muralitharan

Favorite XI: WG Grace, VT Trumper, IVA Richards, DCS Compton, FMM Worrell (c), AC Gilchrist (wk), CL Cairns, SK Warne, FS Trueman, SE Bond, T Richardson 12th man: H Larwood

"Neither of them will have an international cricket acareer past 2016."
    Brocky on Martin Guptill and Ish Sodhi. 20/11/2014.

International Vice-Captain kyear2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fredfertang View Post

Quote Originally Posted by SteveNZ View Post
    Can't agree with this - ODIs are boring enough as it is without having a Murali bowl 20+ overs of an innings. I'm a bowler at heart and keen to see a redress of how heavily the format is weighted towards the bat, but a balancing of a side and seeing a captain squeeze 5-10-15 overs out of 5th-6th bowling options is all part and parcel of it. Imagine it on the sub-continent - you'd pick 8-9 frontline batsmen, and top the rest up with spin and maybe a seamer if you needed to. Not attractive cricket for mine

12 overs probably isn't a bad yell.
    But if a Murali had to bowl more than 10 overs it would lead to more interesting cricket, because batsman wouldn't be able to play him out in ODI's and just look to attack the 5th bowler (which leads to the dead middle overs in odi's when the spinner comes on) they would be forced to take him on as well, and as a result either more runs or more wickets. m ore excitement either way.

Twelve overs though isn't a bad idea for 4 or even just any two of the bowlers.
    Aus. XI
    Simpson^ | Hayden | Bradman | Chappell^ | Ponting | Border* | Gilchrist+ | Davidson3 | Warne4^ | Lillee1 | McGrath2

W.I. XI
    Greenidge | Hunte | Richards^ | Headley* | Lara^ | Sobers5^ | Walcott+ | Marshall1 | Ambrose2 | Holding3 | Garner4

S.A. XI
    Richards^ | Smith*^ | Amla | Pollock | Kallis5^ | Nourse | Cameron+ | Procter3 | Steyn1 | Tayfield4 | Donald2

Eng. XI
    Hobbs | Hutton*^ | Hammond^ | Compton | Barrington | Botham5^ | Knott | Trueman1 | Laker4 | Larwood2 | Barnes3

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information