• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

10 overs in 50 overs

Lokomotiv

U19 Cricketer
Can't pitchers in baseball throw 4 balls intentionally? (I've heard of it happening but never actually seen it occur in a game)
Baseball Pitchers can do that, because there is no wide-ball in Baseball.
Intentional 4-ball tactic is not so rare, particularly in the games in which there is no DH.
This is a video of 5 intentional 4-balls in a row in Japan's High School Baseball national tournament. The Batter is Matui (Matsui), Japan's Baseball legend.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
When I saw the OP I hoped Loko might be questioning why it is that in a limited overs match no bowler can deliver more than 20% of the overs, a rule that hasn't changed since 1964, and which I think is well worthy of debate. Instead he has come up with what I think is his silliest idea yet, and that's quite an achievement in the face of some stiff competition

Indeed, I would argue the very opposite of his point.. Allowing bowlers bowl more than 10 in ODIs..

Lokomotiv

U19 Cricketer
I have a question. Is the 20% limitation rule in ODI applied to other limited-over games, such as T20 or YB40?
When I attended a YB40 game, the length of the game was reduced to 29 overs due to rain. In that case, the same 20% limitation applies?

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I have a question. Is the 20% limitation rule in ODI applied to other limited-over games, such as T20 or YB40?
When I attended a YB40 game, the length of the game was reduced to 29 overs due to rain. In that case, the same 20% limitation applies?
Yeah it still does. In games where the overs aren't divisible by 5 they usually allow one or two bowlers to bowl an extra over each.

Lokomotiv

U19 Cricketer
Yeah it still does. In games where the overs aren't divisible by 5 they usually allow one or two bowlers to bowl an extra over each.
What do you think about other way of limitation; like "when a bowler bowled 1 over, that bowler cannot bowl next 3 overs"?

watson

Banned
One of the nicest things I've seen in a ODI was Geoffrey Boycott being smashed all over the pack by Viv Richards and Collis King in the 1979 World Cup Final. So I kinda like having the 5th bowler option.

Not really excited by field restrictions though as I reckon the Captain should be free to employ any tactics he wishes. The only reason we have fielding restrictions in the first place is that Mike Brearley decided to stick 10 fielders on the fence during a 1980/81 Day-Nighter when Colin Croft had to hit 4 off the last ball to win the match. So what, and good on him. I like such eccentric things happening as it's one of the reasons why I watch cricket in the first place.

Strip all the rules back back to their most original and purest form, cut the beaurocratic red-tape, and let the captains and players use their imaginations to win the game I say.

Last edited: