• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Over-rated things in cricket

ohnoitsyou

International Regular
Agree on most of these apart from the Kallis one tbh.

Williamson is highly unlikely to be anything other than a good batsman. Which in NZ context is a great batsman, but he's generally going to be overrated because of how elegantly he plays his shots. I actually think he'll be a better ODI batsman than Test batsman.

Swinging the ball both ways is awesome when it's done well but it's not a necessary skill and often gets in the way of good bowling plans and execution. Jimmy Anderson does it well. Shane Watson sometimes produces a good one-two. Zaheer Khan was good at it. But Steyn has never bowled an in swinger and he's miles better than all of those blokes.
Umm Steyns bowled a lot of inswingers in his time. Only seems to do it with the Duke ball though

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Umm Steyns bowled a lot of inswingers in his time. Only seems to do it with the Duke ball though
He has? Honestly feel I've never seen him bowl a conventional inswinger. He generally bowls the off cutter/inseamer or just gets it to reverse in with the old ball

ohnoitsyou

International Regular
He's not the greatest at it (blocky to attest with lecture on arm plane), but if its hooping then he tends to bring it out.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
he's not Jimmy Anderson though, proof having both options available conventionally doesn't necessary trump having a straight one and an outswinger

Riggins

International Captain
I was under the impression the point you were making was that dale steyn wouldn't be better if he bowled both.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Nah, was more about how a bowler with both isn't necessarily better than Steyn, despite the hype about bowlers who can swing it both ways

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
That's because Jimmy's outswinger is no where near the quality of Steyn's. If Steyn could himself bowl an inswinger at will, one that would be equal in quality to his outswinger, then he would be a better bowler.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
yeah but it's not about whose outswinger is better or whatever, it's that the potency of the stock delivery matters more than having both swing variations, despite how excited people get about guys who can swing it both ways, that's why I think it's a little overrated

Garson007

State Vice-Captain
kph is a ridiculous measurement so can we please stick to fractions of the speed of light so that we all have a real idea as to how fast something is travelling? Also, the person that decided that the distance travelled by light in 1/299792458 seconds should equal 1 metre must have been on drugs. After all, how is that different to 1/299792459, 1/299792457, or some other random number?

Sorry, but units snobbery when there is actually no inherent advantage to any one system of units over another in context really, really irritates me.
This reminds me of how we always worked in units of speed of light in physics, because it makes calculations and transformations trivial.

45DegreeOBS

Cricket Spectator
That's because Jimmy's outswinger is no where near the quality of Steyn's. If Steyn could himself bowl an inswinger at will, one that would be equal in quality to his outswinger, then he would be a better bowler.
Of course he would! But perfecting the in-swinger would take up so much time, his out-swinger wouldn't be nearly as accurate, fast, or have as much swing if he had spent 1000's of deliveries trying to perfect the in-swinger.
Most overrated part of pace bowling (which is inexplicably overrated by itself) 52) Swing

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Sorry, but units snobbery when there is actually no inherent advantage to any one system of units over another in context really, really irritates me.
I actually like using mph for bowling/pitching because 100 mph seems like such an awesome number to hit in either case.