• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Over-rated things in cricket

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Sidenote- It's pretty much impossible to overachieve as a test batsman over 30 tests.
Hmmm...I thought we agreed 80 innings was the number you needed before all the fluctuations were ironed out in another thread. Be interested to know Hussey's average after 30 tests.

I really feel that he scored an additional 10 runs each inning through sheer running between the wicket skills. He was a machine between the wickets. He would also score lots of help yourself runs by running the ball down to a vacant third man area for 2 or 3 and sometimes 4.

Peter Taylor was a better spinner than him and should have had his spot in the test team. Mathews did not bowl darts as he tried to flight it - but he had no loop, he did get drift but not a great deal of spin and he had no guile or cunning. He was a poor bowler and was kept in the team because of his batting.

I am judging him on his primary function which was to be a spin bowler.

watson

Banned
The Sweep Shot which is one of the ugliest things in cricket - unless it's the 'Compton-Cowdrey Sweep Shot' which is fine.

uvelocity

International Coach
i loved matthews and rated him so highly when i was a kid. so disappointed when i went back and checked his stats. still wont hear anything bad about him.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Massive risk of a leading edge if you do that before you're set IMO. Flick your wrists slightly early and it's straight back to the bowler.
It takes discipline and practice in the nets to get the timing down pat, but once you do you can pull it off pretty much at will if the ball is full enough

watson

Banned
i loved matthews and rated him so highly when i was a kid. so disappointed when i went back and checked his stats. still wont hear anything bad about him.
My main memories of Matthews involve him scoring plenty of runs against everyone except the Windies who dismantled his technique. Averaged 15 over 6 Tests.

However, he should be remembered for his pivotal role in the tied Test against India in 1986. Under enormous pressure he kept his cool, bagged a 10fer, and got the last Indian wicket.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/63438.html

Last edited:

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Suggesting that you should work balls square of the wicket off the stumps early in your innings is probably the worst advice I have ever heard in cricket. Wow.

AWTA. If you start whipping across the line early on, you're a prime LBW candidate, could randomly nick one into the slips, or give short cover/mid off catching practice off the leading edge. It just isn't a good idea when you're yet to get your timing right. So much less that can go wrong if you try and punch a middle stump half volley down the ground, rather than work it to midwicket.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Nah it's not about profitability at all, it's about shot selection and the fact that a straight drive or a straight bat option isn't always the best option and is often more likely to get you out.
Early in a batsman's innings, I've never seen a scenario in which it would be best to play a relatively full ball with an angled bat or cross bat rather than a straight one.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
28. Body Mass Index

Nice to see chunky lads like Ballance and Philander bucking the current gym-obsessed trend.

Give me a player who prefers to hone his technique rather than his abs.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Even Gavaskar has joined in this time.
I thought Gavaskar actually spoke some sense about the topic during New Zealand's first innings in Wellington, although that was probably just a coincidence as defending India and speaking sense were for once the same thing during that discussion.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Early in a batsman's innings, I've never seen a scenario in which it would be best to play a relatively full ball with an angled bat or cross bat rather than a straight one.
not disagreeing with this.

if it's a full ball playing straight is the best option. commentators and lay-people should just stop assuming that a straight shot is better than any other shot, because shot selection is determined by where the ball is, not which direction you choose to play it.