• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Over-rated things in cricket

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
you use your wrists to angle the bat as the ball makes contact, using the pace of the ball (and hopefully some good timing) to place it squarer, it allows you to meet the ball with a pretty much straight bat, so the danger isn't really there, although it should only be attempted to a half volley, a length ball might do a bit off the deck and compromise the shot, I did it quite successfully during my innings yesterday actually, on turf too.

Not that it was advice either ****, just something batsman can do as opposed to thinking playing straight is the only option early on

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
If you use your wrists well, even early in your innings you can work straight balls square of the wicket either side without too much danger, certainly much more profitable than weak straight drives that roll past the bowler to mid off. As for vertical bat strokes, they tend to be far less profitable as well as not necessarily being safer or more correct than a well executed cut shot or pull/hook shot, not only this, but once the ball gets to a certain height (about chest height), vertical bat shots get very difficult and then pretty much impossible, whereas horizontal bat shots can be played to a ball anywhere between hip height and head height basically

EDIT: I didn't see Hendrix's later post but this is my take on it
Nah it's not about profitability at all, it's about shot selection and the fact that a straight drive or a straight bat option isn't always the best option and is often more likely to get you out.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Playing in the V early in the innings was what was drilled into my head as a kid after we finished learning forward and back foot defence. Coach slapped us kids in the back of the head while keeping wicket until everyone got it right. So **** you if you think it was all for nothing.

the big bambino

International Captain
Don't think the advice to play straight was ever meant to trump shot selection. Different issues for mine and neither over rated. Also think turning wrists to find space squarer is a good option. And batting positions not making a difference...please.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Don't think the advice to play straight was ever meant to trump shot selection. Different issues for mine and neither over rated. Also think turning wrists to find space squarer is a good option. And batting positions not making a difference...please.
Everything is fair after you have got your eye in and have a little confidence. You can't play across the line from the first ball because the risk isn't worth it.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Everything is fair after you have got your eye in and have a little confidence. You can't play across the line from the first ball because the risk isn't worth it.
However as I mentioned earlier it's not playing across the line, your bat comes through straight and you only turn your wrists as the ball hits the bat and then some more immediately after contact, requires quick hands and supple wrists but not risky if executed properly - even early in the innings

ohnoitsyou

International Regular
Pretty much every shot along the ground is risk free when executed properly. Its when the executions poor that the risk comes in

the big bambino

International Captain
However as I mentioned earlier it's not playing across the line, your bat comes through straight and you only turn your wrists as the ball hits the bat and then some more immediately after contact, requires quick hands and supple wrists but not risky if executed properly - even early in the innings
Actually this is how I tried to play and used to do it most of all when the fielding was hot and I tried to find space for runs.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
^His bowling avg was 48 and he was suppossed to be the leading spinner in the side.

Goodness knows how he had a decent batting average - his technique suggested he should be in the low twenties. I suspect he scored his runs through self belief and running quick singles consistently. He overachieved as a batsman.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Massive risk of a leading edge if you do that before you're set IMO. Flick your wrists slightly early and it's straight back to the bowler.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
^His bowling avg was 48 and he was suppossed to be the leading spinner in the side.

Goodness knows how he had a decent batting average - his technique suggested he should be in the low twenties. I suspect he scored his runs through self belief and running quick singles consistently. He overachieved as a batsman.
Wasn't a great spinner but wasn't **** either.

Considering he batted at 6 or 7 most of the time, to average 40+ and take about 2 wickets per test meant you were a long way from being the worst player during the 80s in Aust.

Sidenote- It's pretty much impossible to overachieve as a test batsman over 30 tests.