• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Fawad Alam has finally been selected

smash84

The Tiger King
bouncer has been clamoring for his return for a long time now. He would be posting here soon I reckon :p

Ymaxxx

School Boy/Girl Captain
(stat is tests only)

1630426490318.png

What an asset Fawad has been since returning! seriously screw pcb

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It was a complete joke that he was ignored for so long. Glad he’s going well despite being picked when he wasn’t even at his peak.

Aritro

International Regular
Has there ever been a reasonable explanation for why he was ignored?

I remember someone wrote a post demonstrating that some other players who were picked ahead of him were in equally good or better form at the time they got picked. Don't remember the details though.

Flem274*

123/5
It does make you wonder if they have 3-4 other dudes they ignore who could be equally good test players.

One of the marks of Pakistan's pretty solid decade was picking experienced domestic players and confirming they were good cricketers.

Bijed

International Regular
Asad Shafiq, aka, the Rahane on the other side of the Indus.
Shafique must be the lowest impact ever player to play anywhere near the number of tests he did. I honestly can't think of any matches where I felt he'd shaped the outcome at all

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
I was so wrong about Asad Shafiq. When I first saw this compact young guy show up on our shores, I thought Pakistan had their eventual #3 for the next decade.

morgieb

Has there ever been a reasonable explanation for why he was ignored?

I remember someone wrote a post demonstrating that some other players who were picked ahead of him were in equally good or better form at the time they got picked. Don't remember the details though.
Would’ve been hard to eclipse Azhar, Younis, Misbah in the middle order. Sohail also had an excellent domestic record and Shafiq at the very least was doing well enough to avoid the axe. There were other ways to work around it but I can see why he was ignored for ages.

morgieb

It does make you wonder if they have 3-4 other dudes they ignore who could be equally good test players.

One of the marks of Pakistan's pretty solid decade was picking experienced domestic players and confirming they were good cricketers.
Ehhh I don’t think any one else in Pakistani domestics have a comparable record to Fawad, at least with the bat.

I know they have a few bowlers with gun records but tough to determine whether they’d be crappy trundlers or Mohammad Abbas 2.0.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
I mean when you have a guy averaging the most in fc/test behind only arguably the best since bradman in an era defined of fairly dog**** pakistan batting pitches AFAIK you'de think he'de have gotten a shout earlier, especially since he mad a daddy ton on debut.