• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Beginning?

Has Australia reached the beginning of another great era?

• Yes, it's the beginning of a great era.

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • No, it's a 'flash in the pan'.

Votes: 8 44.4%
  • Not sure.

Votes: 9 50.0%

• Total voters

subshakerz

International Coach
How so?? We are measuring this team vs an Oz team (Waugh era) that did the following: 16 tests in a row, whitewashed all teams (incl SL away that's extremely impressive imo), lost in India but were competitive. Wherever Oz played a test back then they were overwhelming favorites and we were surprised when they lost.That team had an all time bowling attack and an all time batting line up (IMO the best of all time). This team does not give off that aura and definitely not after one impressive win over England. This team's batting line up is no where near Waugh's lineup. the bowling I concede has made great strides but regarding Mitch Johnson, one great series (or even two) donot an all timer make. Case in point, he averages 33 away from home. Time will tell if he corrects this.
Um, Waugh's team lost in Sri Lanka in 1999.

Australia in Sri Lanka, Aug - Sep 1999 - Scorecards and Match Reports

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
I agree with this assessment. In a sense, what Mitch is doing now, reminds me of Thompson who, for a period, tormented batsmen with his unrelenting pace and aggression and the results flowed (Harris I guess would be his Lillee). That team was the best and raped other good teams like WI and Eng but the tables were so quickly turned. This Oz team has the wood over RSA atm and may very well end up doin the same but the series is still young and far from over.....
Sorry to point this out, but I despise the use of this term in this context. Unnecessary.

Red

Johnson is rewriting his legacy. How long does he need to perform at this standard to be remembered as a true great and not just an enigmatic performer?

Garson007

State Vice-Captain
Johnson is rewriting his legacy. How long does he need to perform at this standard to be remembered as a true great and not just an enigmatic performer?
Too old already. Anyone looking at the stats will second guess anyone that picks him as a ATG.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He will go down as the greatest feast or famine player ever. Quite a legacy.

ohnoitsyou

International Regular
Voted yes. Can easily see them being the best team of the upcoming era, even if they won't rival the historical great sides.

Red

I ask this in all seriousness. Mitchell Johnson at his peak (right now- 5 Ashes tests and this test)- has there ever been a more destructive and frightening AND effective display of pace bowling?

watson

Banned
I ask this in all seriousness. Mitchell Johnson at his peak (right now- 5 Ashes tests and this test)- has there ever been a more destructive and frightening AND effective display of pace bowling?
Thomo 74-76
Marshall 84-86

Last edited:

Red

Johnson is winning us tests comprehensively.

Most valuable test cricketer in the world by a long shot. I can't recall (in my time) a quick destroying so many (very good) batting line ups so quickly.

England were supposed to beat us, and SA are supposed to be the best in the world.

Not to get too far ahead of myself, but MJ is completely irrepressible at the moment. Must just be a dream for Clarke at the moment.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah I agree, would have to go back to Thomo to compare to what Mitch is delivering right now..........so nearly 40 years. Hands down the most consistently ferocious bowling I've seen in my cricket watching lifetime.

Despite being on the wrong end of it, one day I will look back on the Adelaide test and feel truly blessed that I had the opportunity to witness it live.

Slifer

International Captain
To answer ur question, many. Waqar early 90s, MM mid 80s, Imran in the 80s etc etc. Hell even Dale Steyn has had his own peak that rivalled what MJ is currently doing.

flibbertyjibber

To answer ur question, many. Waqar early 90s, MM mid 80s, Imran in the 80s etc etc. Hell even Dale Steyn has had his own peak that rivalled what MJ is currently doing.
I would say what Johnson is doing now is better than anything Steyn has done as he looks to have put total fear into batsmen which Steyn hasn't managed despite his great ability, the best run of a quick since Waqar in my opinion in terms of sheer destruction through pace.

Slifer

International Captain
Johnson is winning us tests comprehensively.

Most valuable test cricketer in the world by a long shot. I can't recall (in my time) a quick destroying so many (very good) batting line ups so quickly.

England were supposed to beat us, and SA are supposed to be the best in the world.

Not to get too far ahead of myself, but MJ is completely irrepressible at the moment. Must just be a dream for Clarke at the moment.
Not to take ne thing from Johnson, but he's had the wood over RSA before and let's also not forget that RSA just recently lost the services of one of the greatest players of all time. Do I think SA would have still lost, more than likely but Kallis' absence has left an undeniable gulf in their team (esp the batting).

Slifer

International Captain
I would say what Johnson is doing now is better than anything Steyn has done as he looks to have put total fear into batsmen which Steyn hasn't managed despite his great ability, the best run of a quick since Waqar in my opinion in terms of sheer destruction through pace.
The point is, this run is not unprecedented. Impressive but nothing new

flibbertyjibber

The point is, this run is not unprecedented. Impressive but nothing new
I think this is different as he is actually beating up supposed good sides almost singlehandedly. Not many bowlers manage that. He is basically doing an Ambrose special each match not once or twice a series at present.