• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricketeres of the century (so far....)

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Gatotade tells me the best cricketers are yet to be seen so imagine none of these names will be part of the list come 2100. That or Gatotade is lying.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
McGrath took 297 Test wickets during the 2000s, and 266 wickets during the 1990s so I guess he is nominally a bowler of the 21st century based on raw numbers.

However, I still feel him to be a bowler of last century because his best battles were with Michael Atherton and Brian Lara during the mid-to-late 90s. He was at the height of his powers during that period.
McGrath at Lord's 2005 was in the 2000s, hence McGrath is a player of the 2000s. Didn't really have a "peak" at all, really though. Just one incredible high plateau

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
It's interesting to assess what makes McGrath an ATG.
He was accurate, but so was Fraser and Hendricks.
He was relentless, but so was Roberts and Hadlee.
He bowled the outswinger, but it was inferior to Trueman's or Lillee's.
He bowled the inswinging yorker, but it was inferior to Lindwall's or Waqar's.
He got steep bounce, but not as much as Ambrose.
He attacked with the bouncer, but it was not as devastating as Marshall's.
He could be aggressive, but not like Lillee.
He could intimidating, but not like Thomo or Snow.

So while no one facet of McGrath's bowling represents the absolute peak, he happened to be very good at absolutely everything. And it was the sheer quantity of very good deliveries piled on-top each other that eventually overwhelmed the very best batsman more often than not.
The bowling Tendulkar. Tendulkar was the allrounder of batting while Mcgrath was the allrounder of bowling.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Gatotade tells me the best cricketers are yet to be seen so imagine none of these names will be part of the list come 2100. That or Gatotade is lying.
Companies don't lie to sell products. Don't be so cynical.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Ridiculous to say 'nobody else comes close' when there's a perfectly legitimate argument for Steyn >McGrath. Which ever way you argue, it's certainly 'close'.
McGrath took his wickets between 2000 and 2007 at a cost of 20 runs per wicket in a massively batting friendly era.

Steyn, as incredible as he is, takes his wickets at almost 3 runs more and has played in a more bowling friendly era.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
McGrath took his wickets between 2000 and 2007 at a cost of 20 runs per wicket in a massively batting friendly era.

Steyn, as incredible as he is, takes his wickets at almost 3 runs more and has played in a more bowling friendly era.
Yeah look, I'm definitely in the McGrath > Steyn camp but to say it's not even close is just wrong.

Slifer

International Captain
Really??? This argument again?? I'm with those who think that there isn't much to chose between Steyn and Mcgrath. Because no matter what Mcgrath achieved in 2000-07, the fact is, over all he averages just one run less than Steyn but Steyn has a much better SR. Added to that, I sincerely doubt that the era that Mcgrath bowled in was that much more batsman friendly than the current, if at all. Just that Oz were the only team with an all time attack at the time and so his exploits got magnified. But still boundary ropes are still pulled in, bat technology are still evolving to give more advantage to batsmen, wickets are still flat etc etc etc.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Considering only players who debuted on or after 2000:

Steyn
Sehwag
Sangakarra
Clarke
ABdV
KP
Hussey
Flintoff
Younis Khan
Ajmal

Brett Lee debuted on Dec 26 '99. Conflicted about including him.:p

Last edited:

Red

Really??? This argument again?? I'm with those who think that there isn't much to chose between Steyn and Mcgrath. Because no matter what Mcgrath achieved in 2000-07, the fact is, over all he averages just one run less than Steyn but Steyn has a much better SR. Added to that, I sincerely doubt that the era that Mcgrath bowled in was that much more batsman friendly than the current, if at all. Just that Oz were the only team with an all time attack at the time and so his exploits got magnified. But still boundary ropes are still pulled in, bat technology are still evolving to give more advantage to batsmen, wickets are still flat etc etc etc.
Maybe they're both just really good?

Slifer

International Captain
Maybe they're both just really good?
No they both are really great, with Mcgrath (imo) ranking as arguably the greatest of all time. But he is not head and shoulders above Dale Steyn, for that matter none of the other great pacers are head and shoulders above Steyn. They're all in the same class more or less

Red

No they both are really great, with Mcgrath (imo) ranking as arguably the greatest of all time. But he is not head and shoulders above Dale Steyn, for that matter none of the other great pacers are head and shoulders above Steyn. They're all in the same class more or less
Which is what I meant. I should have said "maybe they're both really great" then.

Arguing over the top ten-fifteen quicks of all time is pretty pointless. In the end it might as well just come down to your favourites.

Slifer

International Captain
I agree. Maybe u should tell that to the poster(s) who concluded that no fast bowler post 2000 compared to Glenn Mcgrath, when Dale Steyn clearly does

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

So while no one facet of McGrath's bowling represents the absolute peak, he happened to be very good at absolutely everything. And it was the sheer quantity of very good deliveries piled on-top each other that eventually overwhelmed the very best batsman more often than not.
Reminds me of this quote from a Roebuck article on McGrath:

Some bowlers strike terror in the heart. Others dazzle. This blighter just took your wicket. Cheaply.
I think that sums it up. At the end of the day he was just very, very good at taking wickets regardless of the conditions or the batsmen.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Not between 2000 and 2007.

Slifer

International Captain
That's irrelevant. Mcgrath and Steyn are comparable end of story. Mcgrath is in no way head and shoulders above him.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator

Dan to post about Matt Henry.