• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Bracewell and Ryder break team protocol again - end of the road?

Blakey

State Vice-Captain
Ryder has had more chances than Bracewell and could blame his poor decision making on residual effects of being put in a coma.

What's Bracewell's excuse?

Click link to read article.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
There's much more depth for Bracewell's position than Ryder (fitness issues with some of the alternatives notwithstanding) and Bracewell didn't deserve to be in the squad in the first place. Wouldn't be surprised to see Ryder dropped for Latham and Bracewell will have to be replaced anyway, and in comes Henry or Bennett (I assume).

Blakey

State Vice-Captain
Some people might question how BC's management allowed this to happen but it's not their responsibility to hand-hold these guys.

His poor ODI series will not help his cause (Ryder).

If the guy can't sort things out he's going to be dropped for good and find himself mid-30's with very few prospects for future employment.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
What a couple of idiots. Worse than that actually, when both are relied upon as injury reserves before the start of a match and there was plenty to suggest neither should have been reserves in the first place.

Jesse - pyjama cricket only from now until the World Cup
Dougee - see ya later. It's hard to see someone who's not taking it seriously retain his place in the pecking order against the handful of other promising bowlers coming through.

Mike5181

International Captain
I hope Baz/Anderson continue to score runs. Ryder doesn't deserve to play test cricket. Bracewell won't have much of an international career from now on anyway with so many talented bowlers coming through.

Woodster

International Captain
It's very difficult to work out the mindset of players from all sports that are so fortunate to be in the position of playing the sport of their choice as a career and earning decent money along the way. I'm a fan of both these players when they're on their game, admittedly I haven't seen as much as many posters on this thread, but it is clear they need to have a serious look at their professionalism. Ryder's obviously endured a tough time of late but trouble and broken curfews have followed him around for years and there comes a time where no matter what talent/potential someone may have it isn't enough when weighed up against their negative impact.

I'm surprised people are as quick as they are to write off Bracewell. Again maybe I am not as informed about his misdemeanours an many others on here, and it is clear he needs to address his outside of cricket issues, but at 23 he is still young but needs to learn quickly. I had high hopes for him as a bowling all-rounder, kind of in the Bresnan mold, if not a consistent wicket-taker at least a workhorse that can hold an end up while delivering a heavy ball.

Flem274*

123/5
Ryder is going to be such a "what if?" isn't he?

Should be as good as Taylor. In fact while growing up wasn't Ryder viewed as the better since Taylor played cricket like it was hockey back then? Such a shame, and we're not a country who can afford to lose quality batsmen, even if they're not in the side at present.

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
Somewhere in a deep dark cave in the swampy Waikato, Anton Devicich is doing double fist pumps.

T20WC here I come ...

Howsie

International Captain
I'm surprised people are as quick as they are to write off Bracewell. Again maybe I am not as informed about his misdemeanours an many others on here, and it is clear he needs to address his outside of cricket issues, but at 23 he is still young but needs to learn quickly. I had high hopes for him as a bowling all-rounder, kind of in the Bresnan mold, if not a consistent wicket-taker at least a workhorse that can hold an end up while delivering a heavy ball.
Southee copped the same treatment from a lot of New Zealand fans. He was playing test cricket early on and struggling while other young bowlers were back home dominating domestic cricket. So naturally they're all better and he would be lucky to be playing first class cricket. He's hit a big rough patch but I have no doubt he'll be back. Far too talented with bat and ball not to make it as an international cricketer.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Not writing Bracewell off for good, but happy to see not much of him for a few years until he decides he really wants to be an international cricketer and works out how he's going to go about achieving that.

Howsie

International Captain
well it doesn't help those same young bowlers keep outbowling him in domestic cricket too
Meh. Bracewell had a terrible record before he made his test debut anyway. Doesn't really strike me as a guy who is going to go back down and pick up 6fers and stuff. He gets that swing back and he's the third best seamer in the country period, add in his batting ability and he's a big time player for New Zealand.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
There are way too many good young bowlers in NZ to say that Bracewell will definitely work his way back into the team. Henry, Milne, Small, Wheeler all are at least at his level, and then there are the young guys who haven't yet made their domestic teams.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Matheson on Jesse Ryder - Audio Player - Audio - RadioLIVE

A DRUNK Jesse Ryder was taken out of a swanky Auckland bar and put into a taxi at 3am on January 26 – just hours before New Zealand Cricket named him in their test squad to take on India.

Matheson Sports Media can confirm that Ryder “celebrated” the Black Caps’ tie with India at Eden Park at Auckland’s exclusive 1885 Britomart bar.

The tied game was played on Saturday January 25. Ryder began drinking that night with teammate Jimmy Neesham.

At 3am on Sunday January 26, Ryder was so drunk that Neesham ******ed him to a taxi to take him back to the team’s hotel.

Matheson Sports Media has been told that Neesham was acting as Ryder’s “minder”.

A NZC spokesperson confirmed that version of events this morning to Matheson Sports Media.

What is unclear is when Black Caps management was made aware of the incident.

The test side was named on the Sunday morning with Ryder in the squad as cover for champion batsman Ross Taylor.

What is clear is that management knew of the 1885 Britomart incident as they built up to the Waitangi Day test in Auckland - but Ryder was not disciplined.

The lack of action backfired when it was revealed today that Ryder was out drinking late again – this time with teammate Doug Bracewell on Wednesday - the night before the start of the Eden Park test.

Black Caps manager Mike Sandle has described the latest incident as, “totally unacceptable.”

Matheson Sports Media has been told an investigation into both incidents is “on-going” but will ramp up once the test match against India – into its third day of a scheduled five – is complete.

Ryder has a long history of alcohol related incidents while on duty with New Zealand.

Aaron Klee – Ryder’s highly respected manager – was unavailable for comment.

It is understood he is “considering” advising his charge to withdraw from Black Caps duty for the rest of the summer.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
This is worse than any other incident he's done IMO.

The night before a Test match in which you're reserve batsman. Just totally, absolutely unacceptable.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
This is worse than any other incident he's done IMO.

The night before a Test match in which you're reserve batsman. Just totally, absolutely unacceptable.
Indeed - players get injured all the time the morning of the match. He is goneburgers. He is obviously still an alcoholic.