• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ganguly gives Bucknor a Rating of very poor

rajat

School Boy/Girl Captain
Ganguly gives Bucknor a Rating of very poor in his feedback to the match referee.

I think he was right in doing so considering the fact that he was too bad in his umpiring and rude in his behaviour especially towards parthiv patel

Any views?

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
In the final test there was a time when Bowden walked over to Bucknor, and Bucknor appeared to be telling him to go away, im not sure if that was the case.

krkode

State Captain
I've always felt Bucknor was the best umpire out there, but hearing of some of his recent decisions saddens me that he's losing touch.

I really have no comment on Ganguly's rating of him, though.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
My father, who hardly ever watches test cricket, watched a bit of the etst match from Sydney and in 15 minutes made this judgement - 'This umpire has taken money' Its not some thing I thought of Bucknor but to think of it, Bucknor is such a good umpire. How could he have missed such calls? Maybe he had taken money. The decisions were certainly biost against India.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
well he can give him whatever rating he wants, he is still for me one of the best umpires going around, so he made 1 or 2 mistakes recently, so what, everyone does

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Bucknor is still one of the best when you compare him to some of the other umpires currently.

Im sure the umpires felt the pressure of the occassion just like the players did.

krkode

State Captain
Nobody has to jump to the conclusion that he's taken money. :rolleyes:

He obviously just made a mistake.

rajat

School Boy/Girl Captain
Ya that's for sure he hasnt taken any money.

But he has soomething going against the Indians

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Well at least with someone like Asoka, he's poor on both teams..so then there's no way anybody can complain about bias.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Ya that's for sure he hasnt taken any money.
While I never accused Bucknor of taking money, we can never be sure about any one since Cronje. I am not suggesting a big conspiracy theory here but the way Buvknor's umpiring and attitude was biost against India was certainly very strange coming from such an experienced umpire (the umpire to have umpired in most tests in cricket history!)

hourn

U19 Cricketer
it's just as harsh being an umpire and a player these days.

he had a poor series, but like players, umpires have them too, and he'll be back to his best. He is one of the best umpires in the world. So is Bowden for that matter. Interestingly one of the other better umpires Dave Sheppard copped a bit in the paper for his decisions in his latest series.

Craig

World Traveller
Unless you have proof dont go saying Bucknor has taken money or anything of the like.

If he finds out about this comment he may view it as slander and maybe tempted to take legal action against James as he is the admin or take down this forum.. And guess what, there would be no Cricketweb for you to post on.

Extreme yes, but quite a few other sporting forums have been closed down to this.

Want proof, go here

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Unless you have proof dont go saying Bucknor has taken money or anything of the like.
I did not say Bucknor took money. I said my father said it and he doesnt watch much cricket. And I felt it was certainly vey biost coming from such an experienced umpire and does makes you wonder. Its not wrong to wonder about this. Even the ICC wonders about some suspect matches and puts a committee to find out whether some certain matches are fixe (like Pakistan vs Bangladesh 1999 world cup). I dont think Paksitan or Bangladesh take legal action against the ICC. I did not say Bucknor takes money. So I dont think I am wrong at all.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
what a load of rubbish that Bucknor is against India...he just gave them a very generous wide & hasn't really looked like going out of his way to go against India.

Bucknor has been around for years, why throw away a great umpiring career?

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Bucknor, Shephard and Venkat have been the best three umpires of the last 6-8 years. He has been making some bad decisions right now though and his career isnt exactly being thrown about. Every one accepts his past track record but he has being going through a very bad phase suddenly.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
People forget that Umpires also go through periods of form like players do...some days they'll call every decision correctly and other days it just won't go their way & they'll make a few blunders.

Bucknor does sometimes cause confusion by suddenly raising his finger when everyone presumes to stop appealing but he's never been consistently bad enough for ppl to remember it & think well he's never any good.

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
Pratyush said:
Bucknor, Shephard and Venkat have been the best three umpires of the last 6-8 years. He has been making some bad decisions right now though and his career isnt exactly being thrown about. Every one accepts his past track record but he has being going through a very bad phase suddenly.
So what's the big deal then? Umpires go through bad patches, just as players do. No one accused Tendulkar of throwing his wicket when he was out of form, and no one wanted him dropped from the team either. I don't know what the umpiring equivalent of a double-century is, but Bucknor will find 'form' again and put an end to all this nonsense.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Bucknor will find 'form' again and put an end to all this nonsense.
Bucknor made some pretty horrendous decisions and thats why the question about Bucknor was relevent. He hasnt had a great last few series. When umpires make bad decisions, they are bound to get scrutinised as these decisions can be crucial in matches. Its not entirely nonsense.

V Reddy

International Debutant
Adamc said:
So what's the big deal then? Umpires go through bad patches, just as players do. No one accused Tendulkar of throwing his wicket when he was out of form, and no one wanted him dropped from the team either. I don't know what the umpiring equivalent of a double-century is, but Bucknor will find 'form' again and put an end to all this nonsense.
Though i agree with you that the taking money allegation was bit over the top, the thing which is angering is his on-field behaviour. I remember when Ganguly wanted the new ball during the Sydney test, Bucknor was ignoring Ganguly and turning his back on him. His warning to Patel i don't think was given in the manner it should have been. Tendulkar was heavily criticized when he was out of form and so i see no reason why Bucknor shouldn't. Also comparing Bucknor to Sachin really. Sachin is an all-time great while Bucknor is good but not great. Sachin is comparable more to Dickie Bird than him. Also Russel Tiffin and Ashoka received the same criticism as he is getting now. Comparing the umpiring of Bowden, Taufel and Dar to Venkat, Shep and Bucknor over the last year makes me think that young umpires are more consistent than their elders.