• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ganguly gives Bucknor a Rating of very poor

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Patel (as he does) was appealing for absolutely anything. Wasn't it three nonsensical appeals in an over by Kumble to Katich just after Gilchrist had been dismissed?

I'd remonstrate with him, too.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
It's not the Captain's job to rate the umpires. I'm pretty surprised he's got away with saying this!

As for Ganguly, I rate him as very poor. IE he can't field, can't bowl, whenever I've seen him captain he's been very selfish, poor with his bowling choices and keeps picking players who arn't performing or just plain arn't good enough.

V Reddy

International Debutant
Rik said:
It's not the Captain's job to rate the umpires. I'm pretty surprised he's got away with saying this!

As for Ganguly, I rate him as very poor. IE he can't field, can't bowl, whenever I've seen him captain he's been very selfish, poor with his bowling choices and keeps picking players who arn't performing or just plain arn't good enough.
Rik , i think it is mandatory for a captain to rate the umpires after each test in their report to the ICC. It helps the ICC to find the emerging umpires and detiriorating ones. This time his report to the ICC was leaked.

Hehe Rik your anger on Sourav is visible there :D . I would just say that he has been the best ever captain of India and instilled the team spirit which has been lacking before.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
rajat said:
But he has soomething going against the Indians
A fallacy I'm sure - umpires giving bad decisions are just unfortunate, there's not malice in it - but over the course of a game, I bet players make one heck of a lot more mistakes than umpires do.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Pratyush said:
Bucknor made some pretty horrendous decisions and thats why the question about Bucknor was relevent.
So did Ganguly in his captaincy from what I've heard...

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
vishnureddy said:
Rik , i think it is mandatory for a captain to rate the umpires after each test in their report to the ICC. It helps the ICC to find the emerging umpires and detiriorating ones. This time his report to the ICC was leaked.

If they say anything to the press then I'm pretty sure it's up to their respective boards to remind them to keep their traps shut. I've never heard of this "rating of umpires" though.

Hehe Rik your anger on Sourav is visible there :D . I would just say that he has been the best ever captain of India and instilled the team spirit which has been lacking before.
Says a lot about India's history of captains. Ganguly makes a lot of mistakes, is amazingly selfish sometimes and I sure as hell wouldn't want him as captain for my team. A lot of the time I don't think he's deserved his place in the team either. But he's lucky in that he has the strongest Indian batting lineup for some time and until recently had quite a good seam attack. And who wouldn't win a few matches with Harbhajan and Kumble?

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
vishnureddy said:
Yep, it's Nasser's report that helped Asoka get more umpiring time.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Bravo Ganguly,

Frankly if an umpire is behaving unreasonably
then the captain is perfectly entitled to complain about him.
Are the umpires above criticism ?

Bucknor admonishing Parthiv was a bit rich given Gilchrist made some ridiculous appeals throughout the test series off Mcgill (particularly in the midst of a big Indian partnership) and not one word was said to him by the umpires.

Bucknor's criticism of Pathan running on the wicket was fair enough -- but he failed to do the same for Bracken who had similar problems in his latter spells of the Sydney test.

Bucknor did make some very poor decisions against India part. wrt to the lbw shouts -- Ganguly has to submit a match report to the ICC and evaluate the umpires (and on Bucknor'
s performance in this series I don't see how anyone could give him a glowing reference) -- so why blame Ganguly ?

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Ganguly gives Bucknor a rating of very poor
The original statement made about Ganguly giving Bucknor a rating of very poor hasnt been found any where on any official sources by me. Its not there on cricinfo or smh.co.au. Harsha Bhogle was saying yesterday while commentating on the match that its amazing how newspapers get these stories. Ganguly would be fiend heavily if he made such a public statement. Bucknor too would be penalised if he dvelged on some thing like this to the media. And I dont see any other source from which this can come from. So the authenticity of the original statement itself is highly in doubt.

It is true though that the umpires are rates by the captains after matches. However, I dont know how much the ICC thinks over these ratings as some bad umpires do manage to stick on. Saying that, I think the standard of umpiring has been improving tremendously all around the world at the moment.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
well Ganguly is the captain everyone loves to hate -- similar in a way to Arjuna Ranatunga.

Not surprising that Ranatunga actually thinks highly of Gangers.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
A fallacy I'm sure - umpires giving bad decisions are just unfortunate, there's not malice in it - but over the course of a game, I bet players make one heck of a lot more mistakes than umpires do.
So did Ganguly in his captaincy from what I've heard...

absolutley correct on both counts :)

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Hang on, Ganguly was asked to rate Bucknor, and he did. Did Bucknor have a poor series? Yes. Thus Ganguly did nothing wrong but give a truthful rating.

I love the fact everyone hates Ganguly, it makes him that much of a better captain. India have needed a captain like him for a long time. It's funny how people go out of their way and jump topic just to criticise Ganguly. Humorous.

rajat

School Boy/Girl Captain
Its funny that people dont know that the capatains have to submit a mandatory feedback report on umpires to the Match referee. So ganguly did the right thing by giving bucknor that rating. What if the report got leaked, only thr truth has come out.
And the truth is bucknor was very poor during the test series both in his umpiring and behaviour.

I wonder what rating would have steve waugh given to him.

I think they would have possibily given him a good rating.though that is wrong on the part of steve waugh, as bucknor simply had a bad performance in the Test series.

The article that appeared in THE TIMES OF INDIA(india's best newspaper):

MELBOURNE: Indian captain Sourav Ganguly , it is learnt, has given West Indian umpire Steve Bucknor a very poor rating for his performance in the Sydney Test which ended in a draw earlier this week.

In the mandatory captain's report to the ICC , Ganguly has sharply criticised Bucknor for both his conduct and his decision-making ability, highly-placed sources said tonight.

In the column of the captains' report where an umpire is judged on his conduct and his decision-making - marked as very good, good, average, poor and very poor - Ganguly has given the West Indian umpire very poor numbers.

The Indians were peeved with the 57-year-old Bucknor for turning down appeals against Justin Langer and Damien Martyn on the final day which they believe were clear-cut cases of leg-before decisions.

Langer survived the shout from Ajit Agarkar while Martyn benefitted from Bucknor's largesse after left-arm spinner Murali Kartik had hit him in front of the stumps
The Indians also have not taken kindly to his hauling of young wicketkeeper Parthiv Patel with a pointed finger in front of thousands of spectators at the Sydney Cricket Ground and millions on television.

It is a tradition in Australia that rival captain and his players visit the home side's dressing room at the end of the Test series.
Indian vice-captain Rahul Dravid , opener Aakash Chopra and left-arm spinner Murali Kartik too visited the Australian dressing room at the conclusion of the game.

However, Sourav Ganguly and Sachin Tendulkar did not pay the courtesy call. But an Australian cricketer was not reading too much into it. "The dressing room, inside and outside, was extremely chaotic at the end of the Test with all those emotions surrounding Steve Waugh . I would not read too much into it," said the cricketer.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Indian captain Sourav Ganguly , it is learnt, has given West Indian umpire Steve Bucknor a very poor rating for his performance in the Sydney Test which ended in a draw earlier this week.
Thats why I am saying this. The newspaper (I have read Times of India and I believe this story is there in other newspapers as well)
says 'it is learnt'. It does not quote any official source. Neither Bucknor, nor Ganguly have gone on record about this statement. Ganguly may or may not have given a poor rating. But how the newspapers all around the world can publish some thing like this is questionable. Cricinfo doesnt mention this news and I am sure Ganguly or Buvknor would have been fined if they had some thing like this to the media. The 'other' sources from where they got the news is some what mysterious. How can the newspapers NOT quote the people with a story like this.

But an Australian cricketer was not reading too much into it. "The dressing room, inside and outside, was extremely chaotic at the end of the Test with all those emotions surrounding Steve Waugh . I would not read too much into it," said the cricketer.
Now notice again they dont mention the name of the cricketer. We all saw Tendulkar and Ganguly appreciating Steve Waugh in the most match presentation by Tony Greig. Being disappointed after not winning the series is understandable. But why would some one make a huge issue of players not visiting the dressing room 'if' they didnt. The two teams played the matches in great spirit. Thats more important than paying heed to such unauthenticated facts/rumours

Last edited:

V Reddy

International Debutant
Jono said:
Hang on, Ganguly was asked to rate Bucknor, and he did. Did Bucknor have a poor series? Yes. Thus Ganguly did nothing wrong but give a truthful rating.

I love the fact everyone hates Ganguly, it makes him that much of a better captain. India have needed a captain like him for a long time. It's funny how people go out of their way and jump topic just to criticise Ganguly. Humorous.
Yup. What i fail to understand is the amount of criticism on Ganguly. He is supposed to give a rating and he gave it very poor. Most people who had seen that match would have given poor but the on-field incidents must have forced Ganguly to give very poor.

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
Pratyush said:

Now notice again they dont mention the name of the cricketer. We all saw Tendulkar and Ganguly appreciating Steve Waugh in the most match presentation by Tony Greig. Being disappointed after not winning the series is understandable. But why would some one make a huge issue of players not visiting the dressing room 'if' they didnt. The two teams played the matches in great spirit. Thats more important than paying heed to such unauthenticated facts/rumours
No one is making a 'huge issue' about it. The unnamed player said that it should not be an issue. Clearly, the newspaper or the newspaper's source included this allegation to stir up some controversy where none existed. I have not heard anything about the 'issue' outside of the newspaper report so I can't imagine that anyone else is trying to make it an issue.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
No one is making a 'huge issue' about it.
Well to have some thing like that from an 'unnamed' player in a credible Indian newspaper is issue in itself. I am trying to point the irresponsible journalism existing when people are not quoted and stuff written in the papers. The fact that the Ganguly rating is there in so many newsppaers in both India and Australia is pretty irrespnsible journalism by the media.

V Reddy

International Debutant
Jono said:
The other day on Cricket Show on ESPN , Bhogle asked him how do you cope up with being the most hated Indian player abroad and he replied in his typical style saying that he doesn't give a damn to what others think of him as long as his own players respect him. He also added that as this series moved on he noticed a change in the Aussies towards him and that they started respecting him more. Is it b'coz the Aussies notice an Aussie type attitude in him?:lol:

agodleman

Cricket Spectator
Pratyush said:
'This umpire has taken money' Its not some thing I thought of Bucknor but to think of it, Bucknor is such a good umpire. How could he have missed such calls? Maybe he had taken money. The decisions were certainly biost against India.
Just like the quote says, Bucknor is a good umpire. So he may have made a couple of mistakes... but he's only human. To say he accepted money is extremely cynical. As for the comment that he is biassed against India: after reading your comment I was far from surprised to read that you live in India yourself.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Pratyush said:
Well to have some thing like that from an 'unnamed' player in a credible Indian newspaper is issue in itself. I am trying to point the irresponsible journalism existing when people are not quoted and stuff written in the papers. The fact that the Ganguly rating is there in so many newsppaers in both India and Australia is pretty irrespnsible journalism by the media.
Can you give any instances of RESPONSIBLE journalism in the cricket media recently?

At the moment, I'm hard-pushed to think of any (my mind goes straight back to Sri Lanka and Angus Fraser's 'economy with the truth' regarding the match referee 'allegedly' calling for tapes on Murali).

For shame, those of you accusing Bucknor of 'taking money'. If you mean it, you are an utter disgrace.