• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Thanks for the memories, Kev!

GuyFromLancs

State Vice-Captain
For some reason, I had a sneaking suspicion KP would retire after the last Ashes. What I didn’t think is that he would be pushed – I guess being your team’s top run scorer in a terrible series isn’t enough to save you, but is enough to condemn you.

So KP's at times infuriating, and at times awe-inspiring, England career is over. The temptation is now to sum it all up in a neat little soundbite. “One of the best” “Good not great”. “Didn’t quite fulfil” etc etc.

I actually think (typically to KP) all of these contradictions could be true at once. He was, for me, still the best (or most enthralling) exhibitionist bastman in the game. A KP century is like an odyssey of destruction. I can’t remember seeing a cricketer whose personality is so outwardly and evidently manifest in the way he did, or didn’t, score runs. His shots – both great and poor- seemed to directly reflect his persona and mood. The way he elected to take on and beat Brett Lee’s short ball in the 05 Ashes was hardly a triumph of technique, but it was of will.

My favourite KP was the one that was born in 05, and lived until the end of the South Africa at home series in 2008 – a series in which he was outstanding. This series was probably the only time in cricketing history that I could claim KP was the best – not just the most exciting – but the number 1 batsman in the world.

But barring albeit significant degrees and exceptions, I feel his career began to decline after this. Besides India at home in 2011, I can’t recall him dominating a series, as opposed to a single match or more likely single innings.

The captaincy fiasco, a dreadful tour of the West Indies, an injury during the 2009 Ashes. The Indian series aside he was never the full KP again. Yet, in spite of this he played 2 of the best innings I ever saw. At home to South Africa in 2012, and his “reintegration” century in India at the back end of the same year.

Even his 227 against Australia in Adelaide in 2010, as entertaining as it was, didn’t carry the significance as some of his earlier efforts. The determination to string along consecutively very good performances seemed to have been exchanged with mediocre turns interspersed with moments of profound greatness.

But the KP I remember and always will, is the KP who if I heard scored a hundred on the radio, or via the news, I would clear my schedule to watch the highlights of. He was the only England player I have ever done this for. He’s the guy I’d delay visiting my mates for, delay doing some work out of hours, delay cooking my other half a meal … delay pretty much anything other than an event of the gravest importance.

Good, very good, or great – he is the one England batsman in my lifetime I’d go out of my way to see annihilate the other side.

So thanks for all the times you did this for me, Kev.

All the best.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
KaayPeee! KaayPeee! Thank you for making English cricket watchable, you ol' dog!! :) Go back to SA now, ass. Kallis just retired. It's time.

smash84

The Tiger King
Yep, Thank you KP for some really awesome knocks. The Ashes 2005 and the 2011 series against India will stand out.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
For me, his favorite innings is probably his 90 at Bristol against Australia before the 2005 Ashes and in tests, the 149 against Saf at Headingley.

That Headingley knock is the most dominant innings I've ever seen. While the pitch and conditions weren't as tough as some of his other innings, I have never seen any other batsmen look so authoritative at the crease as KP did that day. Three shots he hit off Steyn in quick succession will stay with me forever. First one was a quick short of a length ball outside off and he swivel caressed it through midwicket as though it was a dibbly dibbly 120 kph part timer bowling. Second was smashed back and almost took Steyn's head off. Third was a full, fast outswinger on off which most batsmen would've done well to defend but Pietersen launched it back over Steyn's head for six. Simply amazing.

If for nothing else, thanks for those three shots

Last edited:

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I had said two years ago that KP wouldn't play for England again after the ashes, wasn't expecting it to be like this though. I think I also predicted the top 6 would be Cook, Root, Trott, Bell, Taylor and Bairstow for a long time and if Trott hadn't had problems that may have been right.

Very sad it has ended like this but lets be honest did anyone expect him to go out in a sensible calm way after all that has gone on in his career? Perhaps the biggest shock is the fact that people who have in the past slagged him off for being a pain in the dressing room (Dominic Cork being a good example) are the ones saying it is the biggest joke of all.

We move on with memories of Headingley, Mumbai and Adelaide and many more and in time they will far outweigh the stupid dismissals that littered his career like the stupid one off Harris trying to get a ton at Edgbaston but we will never forget the worst innings by a top class ever at the same ground against Pakistan which was comedy gold in its badness. yes he was infuriating to watch but he was brilliant and entertained everyone so much. He was the one player after Flintoff to be worth watching on his own no matter what the situation and for that we say thanks.

I hope he enjoys the rest of his career and makes a packet as a global 20/20 player. It was fun while it lasted.

GuyFromLancs

State Vice-Captain
For me, his favorite innings is probably his 90 at Bristol against Australia before the 2005 Ashes and in tests, the 149 against Saf at Headingley.

That Headingley knock is the most dominant innings I've ever seen. While the pitch and conditions weren't as tough as some of his other innings, I have never seen any other batsmen look so authoritative at the crease as KP did that day. Three shots he hit off Steyn in quick succession will stay with me forever. First one was a quick short of a length ball outside off and he swivel caressed it through midwicket as though it was a dibbly dibbly 120 kph part timer bowling. Second was smashed back and almost took Steyn's head off. Third was a full, fast outswinger on off which most batsmen would've done well to defend but Pietersen launched it back over Steyn's head for six. Simply amazing.

If for nothing else, thanks for those three shots

I love that Headingley innings. You could actually see the embarrassment in Steyn's face as he was getting knocked around.

Although I loved his destruction of Steyn, my favourite moment was when Smith had Morkel bowl shortish around the wicket to suppress him, but he just stepped away to leg and battered him over long-on.

Just phenomenal stuff. I remember camera cutting to Smith's face afterwards, showing a kind of wry grin that said "you bastard".