• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Muirhead and Offie's V Leggie's

John73

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I probably shouldn't make comment since the guy has hardly played first class cricket let alone half a handful of international T20's. Does anyone remember Warne spinning the ball this far during his first couple of games? Anyone have any idea if Muirhead is getting coaching from Warne?

And onto the Offie (if that is how you spell it?) V Leggie debate, who would you prefer to watch? It will always be a leg spin bowler for me, they just seem to always have about 200% more turn on the ball. It's possibly unfortunate for Lyon because he has been bowling really well, but it Muirhead keeps this up there is generally only one spot available for the spin bowlers in Australian teams short of another tour of India.

I'm probably getting way ahead of myself, it was a couple of T20 games, but by God did Muirhead look like a good leggy

Last edited:

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Wow, settle down, we can't comment too much given it's only a couple of t20s, I'll reserve my judgement until he's got some more FC cricket under his belt, in much of the short form cricket he's played this season he's done well and taken wickets though. His last FC outing against the Eglish tourists was also pretty impressive.

Usually I enjoy watching a wrist spinner bowl more than a finger spinner, the revs and unpredictability is always good to watch

YorksLanka

International Debutant
saw him for the first time today and was very impressed by how much he was spinning it..an aussie mate of mine reckons that he was taken under the wing by a certain Mr Warne...seems a great prospect for Aus...

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Could someone who is into that sort of thing do his family tree

............ just in case

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah, Warne definitely spun it as much or more. In his first Test, he beat the bat of Shastri what seemed every over even whilst being taken for 100+. In fact, one of the big criticisms of Warne's early work was that he was all about big spin and little else.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Warne's had bits and pieces to do with him, from the same club as him so he'll be pumping up his tyres soon enough.

adub

International Captain
Last name not the same as a cooling alcoholic beverage, Warne will be less wholehearted in his praise.

Blocky

Banned
I don't know if I'd rate Warne capable at coaching another leggie, he found the most difficult thing about leg spin pretty easy - consistently landing big ripping leg breaks where he wanted to land them and building variations in off of there. The reality is, most of his tactics, field set and mentality worked against batsmen because he could tie them down with great accuracy, not something many other leggies possess.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
I always loved to see wrist spinners bowl than boring finger spinners. But that was till Saqlain burst in to the scene and Murali got his variations going. Today I think an able finger spinner is a better wicket taker than s wrist spinner.Finger spinners have easily outnumbered wrist spinners in variations and have become mysterious as well. A mystery spinner at crease possibly the best site in cricket.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Murali wasn't exactly a finger spinner, tbh. Much more use of the wrist than a traditional offie.

I loved watching Graeme Swann bowl in recent times, though leggies > offies as respective classes solely because of middle overs dart bowlers. Yes I'm looking at you, David Hussey.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Watching Tahir bowl half trackers and full tosses isn't exactly appealing though, would rather watch a decent finger spinner anyday than him most of the time

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
For me, quality wrist-spin is the most thrilling sight in cricket. Watching Warne and Murali spinning the ball miles and the batsman with no clue as to which way it is going to turn was just brilliant. I enjoy finger-spinners as well, but it's kind of a similar difference to that between watching a quality fast-medium swing bowler and an out and out raw pace bowler. You know both involve tremendous skill and concentration but the later just tends to grab you more.