• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Big 3 XI v Small Boards XI

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
Big 3 XI v Small Boards XI

Big 3:

Cook
Warner
Pujara
Pieterson
Clarke (c)
Kohli
Haddin (wk)
Ashwin
Johnson
Broad
Harris

Small Boards XI:

Smith
Amla
Sangakkara (c)
R Taylor/Younis
De Villiers (wk)
Misbah/Chanderpaul
Du Plessis
Philander
Steyn
Boult
Ajmal

Would be an interesting match

Last edited:

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I actually think the other way around. The big 3 batting looks rather weak with Pietersen at 4 and Cook opening.

Harris, Johnson, Broad is a lot less new-ball reliant than Philander, Boult, Steyn. I'd probably stick Junaid in there instead of Boult as he doesn't rely on the new ball so much and is a bit better on dead pitches.

TimAngas

State Vice-Captain
I actually think the other way around. The big 3 batting looks rather weak with Pietersen at 4 and Cook opening.

Harris, Johnson, Broad is a lot less new-ball reliant than Philander, Boult, Steyn. I'd probably stick Junaid in there instead of Boult as he doesn't rely on the new ball so much and is a bit better on dead pitches.
Or Roach, would be another option instead of Boult as well as Morkel (although that's probably not allowed considering that's just the Saffer pace attack).

I reckon Chanderpaull at 6, and Misbah att 7 would work just fine. Can't split Taylor and Khan. On overall career Khan but on current form Taylor would be my pick.

Second spinners? For Big Three either Ojha or Lyon, and for the other boards Herath for sure.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!

Big 3 bat deep. Even Harris isn't bad.

In the small board XI I wouldn't have Taylor or Younis. Misbah at 4 and Chanders at 6.

Last edited:

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
The cheek to suggest that the Big 3 might debase themselves by playing a cricket match against a lowly second tier side. Have you no idea of class.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member

In the small board XI I wouldn't have Taylor or Younis. Misbah at 4 and Chanders at 6.
That's a lot of stone walling, tbh. I'd definitely take Taylor ahead of either of those. Maybe not Younus though.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
True.

Big Three (IMO)

Warner
Vijay (purely on current form. long term obviously Cook)
Pujara
Kohli
Clarke
Stokes (again, a pure form selection)
Haddin
Johnson
Broad
Harris
Ojha

Small Boards:

Smith
Silva (real slim pickings here)
Amla
Taylor
Younis Khan
De Villiers
Shakib
Philander
Steyn
Roach
Herath

Prensel

U19 Cricketer
Based on ICC rankings :ph34r:

1. Smith (rank 9)
2. Petersen (rank 28)
3. Amla (rank 4)
4. Taylor (rank 3)
5. de Villiers (wk) (rank 1)
6. Chanderpaul (rank 2)
7. Misbah-ul-haq (rank 6)
8. Philander (rank 1)
9. Steyn (rank 2)
10. Herath (rank 4)
11. Boult (rank 10)

1. Rogers (rank 13)
2. Warner (rank 14)
3. Pujara (rank 5)
4. Kohli (rank 11)
5. Clarke (rank 8)
6. Bell (rank 15)
7. Haddin (wk) (rank 24)
8. Ashwin (rank 7)
9. Broad (rank 10)
10. Siddle (rank 6)
11. Harris (rank 3)

Flem274*

123/5
Alviro > than other small board openers and Southee/Boult > Roach. Junaid is too.

Roach makes the squad though.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I agree that Southee and Boult are better than Roach, but they offer nothing with the old ball. Considering Steyn and Philander would be taking the new ball, neither of them can be selected.

It's a toss up between Junaid and Roach, IMO.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
the big 3 attack is pretty much Australia too though. Splitting hairs between Siddle and Broad, IMO.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
I reckon the Small boards XI would win comfortably due to the excellence of the South Africans. Would be more competitive to pick a small boards xi sans South Africa (although who knows who the openers would be - might just play two middle order bats there as heaps of middle order options and hope they come off)

The big three have only got 2 batsmen in the top 10 at the mo - Pujara and Clarke (although lots between 11-20)

Last edited: