• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

All time Australian ODI team

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
I guess down the order it will be a toss up between Watson and Symonds for the allrounder spot but I'd give that to Roy too as I don't like naming players out of their normal positions in ATG teams. Twatto has played 90 odd of his 150 ODI's as an opener so if he doesn't get in as an opener he doesn't play...........+ he's a ****.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Crazy talk if you're having Symonds bowling 10.
McGrath Lillee Lee and Warne plus an all star fielding lineup will get every other team out inside 45 overs, so Symonds just needs to bowl around 5 overs :)

Although Adders is correct that Watson has played most of his matches as an opener, its because he isn't playing in an all time lineup. He showed in one of the World Cups that he has a good ability to bat down the order so if everyone is happy with him bowling 8-10 overs on a regular basis, he has to bat down the order, because I think Gilly needs an opening partner who can rotate the strike and bat for long periods, against good attacks.

watson

Banned
I guess down the order it will be a toss up between Watson and Symonds for the allrounder spot but I'd give that to Roy too as I don't like naming players out of their normal positions in ATG teams. Twatto has played 90 odd of his 150 ODI's as an opener so if he doesn't get in as an opener he doesn't play...........+ he's a ****.
The 5th bowler doesn't have to bowl all 10 overs. Much of the time the attack is made up of 6, or even 7 bowlers. Mark and Steve Waugh commonly shared the bowling, as did Symonds. Here is a match against England in which Symonds got smashed during his 3 overs, and where Mark Waugh took over. Waugh ended up with more economical figures during his 8 overs (only 27 runs) than the frontline bowlers;

3rd Match: England v Australia at Bristol, Jun 10, 2001 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

Last edited:

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
M Waugh/ Watson
Gilchrist
Ponting
Jones
Symonds
Bevan
Hussey
O'Donnell/ S Waugh
Warne
Lillee
McGrath

Would also have Tom Moody, Bracken, Bruce Reid and Lee around the squad somewhere

Riggins

International Captain
Watson was actually ****ing good at coming in at the death and clearing the fence. That 07 world cup where he'd just come in at the end and hit sixes was amazing.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Gilchrist and Watson.

Watson must absolutely be in the team. Doesn't necessarily have to open I suppose but he has to be there.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Watson was actually ****ing good at coming in at the death and clearing the fence. That 07 world cup where he'd just come in at the end and hit sixes was amazing.
He was terrible at it for ages, and I think the focus he gave to that given it was his role really took away from his First Class batting at the time. But yeah, he did get quite good at it towards the end.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
As andyc has pointed out, you coudn't get away with Symonds as your fifth bowler at this level of cricket. Australia were always pushing it a little bit when they did it even in regular ODIs which is why they were so keen on developing Watson into a one day player in the first place (he was really unnatural in the format in general at the start of his domestic career, somewhat ironically). At a level above against other nations' ATG sides Symonds would really be exposed. Awesome sixth bowler to fill in a few of someone else's overs when they're having a bad day, especially since he could bowl both pace and spin, but that's the extent of his bowling.

The way I see it, in terms of the top seven; Ponting, Bevan, Hussey, Gilchrist, Symonds and Watson must all be there. I'm not too fussed where Watson bats but he has to play, so if you want to play Hayden or open with Mark Waugh then it means Bevan bats four. Like andyc though, I'd be looking at:

1 Gilchrist
2 Watson
3 Ponting
4 -
5 Symonds
6 Bevan
7 Hussey
8 Warne
9 Lee
10 -
11 McGrath

I think I'd lean towards Lillee and Greg Chappell for the two spots left, but I'm not all that fussed really - could just as easily be Jones, Waugh, Martyn, Hayden with a reshuffle, Bracken, McDermott etc.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
It is scary how good an Australian all-time ODI team would be. Would just **** every team up.
Watson
Gilchrist
Ponting
Clarke
Bevan
M. Hussey
Symonds
Lee
Warne
Bracken
McGrath

subs: Hayden, Mark Waugh, Jones, Hogg, Tait, Lillee...

ridiculous.

edit: for those wondering why Clarke's there, I'm basically taking the 2007 team and improving it. So Watson gets bumped up to open, Bevan comes in and Warne and Lee come in for Hogg and Tait. Clarke and Symonds circa 2007 were a pretty decent 5th bowling option and that's before we consider that we've got McGrath, Lee, Bracken, Watson, Warne and even Bevan as bowling options.

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
He wasn't really, he managed it quite successfully once in the 2007 World Cup where he scored 65 (32) against someone but Watson was a joke ODI cricketer until someone had a brainwave and stuck him up to open.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I'm surprised that there are teams being named without Dean Jones. He was an absolutely brilliant performer, that he wouldn't look out of a place in a World ODI XI.

watson

Banned
Gilchrist and Watson.

Watson must absolutely be in the team. Doesn't necessarily have to open I suppose but he has to be there.
Not sure about 'must absolutely'. I'll be a monkey's uncle if he is a more effective bat than Mark Waugh, and I can't see how his bowling would keep the likes of Viv Richards in a difficult mood any more quiet than Symonds or either of the Waughs.