• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Which England players are going to the IPL?

Woodster

International Captain
Yep, he's just not experienced in the format.

Honestly though, if he just played tests as if it was limited overs, he'd probably do fine. Certainly better than recent middle order players.

Its disappointing to see fans who don't want him near the test setup, c'mon guys, at least he'd be entertaining. The cupboard is pretty empty right now
Yes I think now KP's been omitted it does open up an opportunity for him but he really needs to understand his own game in first-class cricket. I think a positive approach may well be the best idea for him and he has to stay strong when he does get out to a very un-Test cricket-like dismissal, just as KP has. It's finding the right tempo for him to bat in this format and constructing a long innings, which he can do, but obviously it has to be far more consistent. I'm pleased he's giving first-class cricket his main focus for now but he can't expect too much too soon.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Looked a lot stiller at the crease in his ODIs and T20s over here, rather than that big squat he had going a while ago.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
It was significantly less prominent in the first bit of cricket he played post UAE. I didn't really watch much of the most recent series, so not sure if it's a sudden improvement. The thing is though, Morgan hasn't even been that great in the ODI's since he was in the test side. I know he had a good series just gone, but he was pretty meh in the home summer and the winter before it. That, plus a few random Championship games here and there averaging 30, and well, it's not really smashing the door down, even if the cupboard is bare.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Thing is, it got him moving so much and his bat through the ball that it could actually make him a more destructive player when he decided to "go". Just didn't put him in a nice neutral position to move in response to the ball, rather it was to help him meet the ball and deposit it.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I do think the bareness of the cupboard is slightly exaggerated anyway. England's batting faltered in the Ashes because their established players failed, not because their backup options were proven hopelessly out of their depth and need to be discarded ASAP. Ballance didn't score many but he only played one Test and didn't look out of his depth, plus he looked well organised in the one dayers, and Stokes was England's best player. Those are your Trott and Pietersen replacements right there. I'd be pretty disappointed if Morgan suddenly leap-frogged Ballance for no good reason.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
In all fairness it's not just one top six spot we need to fill.

Assuming Trott still isn't right for June, only really Cook, Bell and Stokes are nailed on for the first test.

Far from inconceivable both Morgan & Ballance could get a gig, with AN Opener (Robson?) to partner the skipper.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
They'll both probably play, but if they put Root back up top and ditch Carberry there's still a spot open.

Or if they reshuffle and put Stokes at 7. Depends who the keeper is I guess.

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain
I'm not even convinced Bell is a cert batting wise. Its literally just Cook followed by question marks.

Obviously Stokes and Bell are likely, but things could change in a couple of games.

FBU

International Debutant
Kevin Pietersen
Craig Kieswetter
Ian Bell
Alex Hales
Ravi Bopara
Luke Wright
Dimi Mascarenhas
Samit Patel
Rikki Clarke
Jade Dernbach