• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Sri Lanka in Bangladesh 2014

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
The tour is almost certain to go ahead after SLC said they were satisfied with security arrangements in Bangladesh after concerns were raised following widespread political violence took place in the preceding months leading up to the tour.

Fixtures:

1st Test
, January 27-31, Mirpur
2nd Test, February 4-8, Chittagong
1st Twenty20
, February 12, Chittagong
2nd Twenty20, February 14, Chittagong

1st ODI
, February 17, Sylhet
2nd ODI, February 20, Mirpur
3rd ODI, February 22, Mirpur

Sri Lanka will be keen to build on an encouraging performance in the UAE while Bangladesh will look to maintain their good recent form at home in the tests. The limited overs leg of the tour will then give an indication of what may be to come as far as both the World t20 and Asian Cup are concerned, an important tour for both sides.

Note on venues in fixture - I don't think the first ODI will be held in Sylhet due to the security situation, pretty sure it will be held in Mirpur instead

Last edited:

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
Looking forward to the series. It should be a good one. Though not happy with Imrul Kayes being in the team. He is in a good form for the season but selectors should have let him play couple more before selecting him straight away into tests.

Energetic

U19 Cricketer
Anyway, I hope we pick this 11 - Tamim, Shamsur, Marshall, Mominul, Rahim, Shakib, Nasir, Mahmudullah, Gazi, Robiul and Al Amin.

I'd be shocked if the pitches were bowler friendly but really expecting tame draws on flat decks.

YorksLanka

International Debutant
i am disappointed that Sanga and Mahela were included for us- i am a fan of them but think that their places could be given to two youngsters to give them experience of top level cricket before the England tour..hopefully we will make use of Pradeep more in this series

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
i am disappointed that Sanga and Mahela were included for us- i am a fan of them but think that their places could be given to two youngsters to give them experience of top level cricket before the England tour..hopefully we will make use of Pradeep more in this series
Nah, Bangladesh at home can be a handful, Sri Lanka aren't really in a position to just leave out their two best batsmen for the sake of future building. Remember the last series in 2013? We drew the first test and then in the second they rode on a Sanga century after getting into trouble in the first innings - and that was at home.

As for Pradeep, depending on conditions we might see 2 spinner attacks, in which case Pradeep would probably be left out because he can't maintain his pace and penetration throughout a long test match yet going by the Dubai test

YorksLanka

International Debutant
Nah, Bangladesh at home can be a handful, Sri Lanka aren't really in a position to just leave out their two best batsmen for the sake of future building. Remember the last series in 2013? We drew the first test and then in the second they rode on a Sanga century after getting into trouble in the first innings - and that was at home.

As for Pradeep, depending on conditions we might see 2 spinner attacks, in which case Pradeep would probably be left out because he can't maintain his pace and penetration throughout a long test match yet going by the Dubai test
with all due respect to Bangaldesh, we should have enought strength in our ranks to win this series without these two and we need to plan for the future and this is an ideal opportunity..

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
with all due respect to Bangaldesh, we should have enought strength in our ranks to win this series without these two and we need to plan for the future and this is an ideal opportunity..
With all due respect to Sri Lanka, NZ is at least as good as your side and we didn't win our test series in Bangladesh (admittedly without Tim Southee) and if we'd removed our two best test bats (Taylor and Williamson) we would have lost. You shouldn't count any chickens prematurely especially after SL's most recent day of test cricket. If you want to plan for the future you have to make sure you don't drop out of the top 8.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
With all due respect to Sri Lanka, NZ is at least as good as your side and we didn't win our test series in Bangladesh (admittedly without Tim Southee) and if we'd removed our two best test bats (Taylor and Williamson) we would have lost. You shouldn't count any chickens prematurely especially after SL's most recent day of test cricket. If you want to plan for the future you have to make sure you don't drop out of the top 8.
nah NZ don't have a spin bowler even close to Herath's class, which is critical for a series played in Bangladesh. Also factor in that Southee was missing and that for some reason NZ picked Bracewell, Bruce Martin and Sodhi in the first test...which were all awful selections.

YorksLanka

International Debutant
you are right that NZ are just as good, however we are better players of spin and have better spinners whereas you have better quicks and play fast and swinging bowling better than us..given that Bangladeshi bowling strengths are spin, that gives us an advantage over you guys there..

Energetic

U19 Cricketer
Sri Lanka are obviously favourites and should be expected to win this 2-0. But it depends what the pitch is like which I'm expecting to be of the slower side. Weather has looked really good in Bangladesh even though its the winter season. Anyway, hope for a good series.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Sri Lanka have opted to bowl first, interesting, although pitches in Mirpur have been known to give less and less assistance to bowlers as the match goes on, I'm now anxiously awaiting the team announcements. Prasanna Jayawardene has gone home, father passed away, thoughts with him, but that throws up an interesting issue - who keeps? Chandimal probably, Vithinage will probably get a game now.

EDIT: PJ's father is ill, not dead, bloody cricinfo

Last edited:

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Ok, confirmed, Chandimal keeping (though I'm not sure he'll bat 7) and Vithanage in, they've gone in with Lakmal and Eranga as seamers and they didn't select Mendis thank God, kinda surprised Bnagladesh went with 3 seamers tbh, but I spose there's no real point selecting Abdur Razzak either against decent players of spin with Shakib and Nasir Hossain able to provide spin options

@Mods, could we perhaps sticky this and unsticky the UAE tour thread?

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think I agree with not playing Razzaq but still disagree with picking 3 seamers.