• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Personal Testomonial XIs

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
If your National cricket board were to allow you to chose XI players to play for you, either dead or alive who woud they be?

Mister Wright's Testomonial XI

M. Hayden
M. Vaughan
B. Lara
S. Waugh
A. Border
I. Botham
I. Healy
W. Akram
P. Taylor
C. McDermott
W. Younis

Last edited:

Linda

International Vice-Captain
Hayden
Langer
Ponting
Martyn (2 of him ;) )
Clarke
Lehmann
Gilchrist
Gillespie
Lee
McGrath
Warne

:P

deeps

International 12th Man
S.Afridi
H.Gibbs
R.Ponting
S.Tendulkar
S.Waugh
R.Dravid
A.Gilchrist
B.Hogg
W.Younis
M.Hughes
C.Ambrose

deeps

International 12th Man
Mister Wright said:
If your National cricket board were to allow you to chose XI players to play for you, either dead or alive who woud they be?

M. Hayden
M. Vaughan
B. Lara
S. Waugh
A. Border
I. Botham
I. Healy
W. Akram
P. Taylor
C. McDermott
W. Younis
i think waqar would b offended to see mcdermott batting above him

Sudeep

International Captain
Matthew Hayden
Sachin Tendulkar
Sir Don Bradman
Brian Lara
Steve Waugh
Sir Garfield Sobers
Adam Gilchrist
Wasim Akram
Shane Warne
Glenn McGrath
Shane Bond

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
Mister Wright said:

M. Hayden
M. Vaughan
B. Lara
S. Waugh
A. Border
I. Botham
I. Healy
W. Akram
P. Taylor
C. McDermott
W. Younis
Peter Taylor, grrrr:!(... I was at a dinner where he was guest speaker and he said Courtney Walsh was a chucker :!( (he also said the same about Murali and Brett Lee).

My Testimonial XI

1. Mark Taylor (c) - Determined when he needs to be, laid-back when he wants to be. Not the most exciting batsman, but i've always liked him, probably 'cause he's a lefty like me :P
2. Michael Slater - Can't think of Taylor without Slater really.
3. Brian Lara - My fav. batsman and another lefty. Everything he does is exciting, even his backlift.
4. Mark Waugh - Batting never looked so easy. To me he's the ultimate proof that averages never tell the whole story.
5. Rahul Dravid - Batting at no. 3 ahead of Tendulkar must be a largely thankless task. Hopefully Rahul "most double-centuries by an Indian" Dravid will now get the recognition he deserves.
6. Ian Botham - Better throw in an allrounder and a Pom, and Botham's the best in the business.
7. Tatenda Taibu (wk)- As enthusiastic a 'keeper as any i've seen, and as good.
8. Abdul Qadir - I've only seen brief footage of him bowling, but it's utterly mesmerising.
9. Michael Holding - I envy anyone who's seen him bowl. Even the descriptions of his action are thrilling.
10. Curtly Ambrose - "Curtly talk to no man." :P Surely the most intimidating bowler of modern times.
11. Allan Donald - I couldn't stand watching him get clobbered in the 2003 WC, it was such an unfitting end for one of the most awe-inspiring bowlers i've ever seen.

I would be pretty proud if I could get these guys to play for me :P A solid batting lineup, with a good mix of aggression and defence to put up a big total. As for the bowlers, there's Whispering Death, White Lightning and Curtly Ambrose, with the wiles of Qadir to finish it off, but the real beauty of it for me is that I would enjoy watching this team play even if they lost every game :)

Last edited:

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
A testomonial XI would mean players 'I' wanted to watch. So this squad will obviously have biost for my favourite players and may not be the best team ever. I would chose only the alive players as they have been the ones I have enjoyed watching.

A.Gilchrist
S.Tendulkar
B.Lara
G.Vishvanath (I have only watched him in a masters match but loved his technique)
R.Dravid
M.Azharuddin
H.Cronje (captain)
Kapil Dev
C.Ambrose
Shoaib Akhtar
S.Mushtaq

I believe they wont reward me a 4 or 5 day match as a testomonial and Gilly and Tendulkar would open the oen dayers pretty well. These are my favourites and couldnt think of any test opener I like more than the top 6 batsmen. It would be a pleasure to watch Gilchrist, Tendulkar and Lara bat together. Similarly watching Vishwanath and Dravid - the two best technical batsmen together wuold be awesome. Azhar's flicks have no comparisan. Cronje is the best tactical captain I have seen. Kapil used to give 100% in the field and loved to see him play. Ambrose - the most deadly bowler I saw. Saqlain and Shoaib are masters at their craft and simply too talented.

I notice 2 match fixers and one alleged one is in the side. Never mind, I chose them for their talent in the respective fileds for which I liked them. I am watching cricket since 1991 and only Vishwanath is a player of the 70s. The team has personal biost as I said but that would be my XI :)

Sudeep

International Captain
Pratyush said:
A testomonial XI would mean players 'I' wanted to watch. So this squad will obviously have biost for my favourite players and may not be the best team ever. I would chose only the alive players as they have been the ones I have enjoyed watching.
Yes... even I have tried to pick those who are alive (exception: Sir Don)... I guess I'll end up being the only one to pick Shane Bond. But I just love to seem him bowl. And thats why he's on my list. I have tried to stick to players whom I have seen playing live (live as in live on TV not personally on a ground). I only made an exception for Sir Don because from as many clips I have seen of his batting, he sure would have been a treat to watch. Similar applies to Sir Gary.

Last edited:

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I only made an exception for Sir Don because from as many clips I have seen of his batting, he sure would have been a treat to watch. Similar applies to Sir Gary.
I wanted both of them in my team but couldnt drop any of the XI players I chose for my team. It would be a treat to watch these XI play together for me. I read Gary Sober's auobiography and its fascinating. Ill choose Sobers as the 'coach' as he always wanted to help out the Windies in their cricket but no one asked him to. Bradman was a great cricket administrator too so he would be manager :D

Langeveldt

Soutie
Good thread this!

LANGEVELDTS TESTIMONIAL XI

1. Daren Ganga (I love watching him bat, I model myself on him looking like a million dollars then getting out foolishly)

2. Herschelle Gibbs - The most cheerie guy in cricket.. Worth it just for the laughs

3. Shivnarine Chanderpaul

4. Michael Vaughan (Elegant batsmen rule)

5. Jacques Kallis

6. Neil McKenzie

7. Grant Elliott (SA A and Gauteng, personal bud.)

8. Alec Stewart

9. Brian McMillan

10. Phill Tuffnell (again, great laugh)

11. Allan Donald (absolute inspiration.. Almost single handedly stopped test cricket seeming like a boring game for me.)

ALSO PRESENT...

G Smith, P Symcox, R Russell, M Dillon, C Gayle, J Rudolph

Last edited:

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
G Smith
M Waugh
R Ponting
M Vaughan
J 999
A Stewart
S Pollock
A Agarkar
B Bedi
P Tuffnell
M Ntini

Notes-
Openers

Smith had a great summer and Mark Waugh as good if not a better batsman than his brother

Middle Order

Ponting and Vaughan 2 of the great batsman of the last 2 years IMO

See im the only person to include myself in the XI:)

Wicket Keeper

Stewart who else

All Rounders

Pollock the best all rounder ever and AA the Cricket Web link.

Bowlers

Bedi wanted someone out of my aLftA India team.

Tuffers, joker in the team

Ntini great English summer

PY

International Coach
1. Graham Gooch - saw him make a ton at Colchester when I was younger....plus watched his 333 :D
2. Michael Atherton - him and Goochie were the 'biz'
3. Brian Lara - he is awesome and brilliant to watch.
4. Steve Waugh - ugly batter but the best at grinding them out and pretty good captain too.
5. Graham Thorpe - maybe a wet paper bag when on tour but still best batter of the 90s for England IMO.
6. Andrew Flintoff - not a great by any stretch of the imagination but still his style of batting is exciting ie Lords and The Oval in Summer '03.
7. Mark Boucher - he's my favourite wicketkeeper in memory.
8. Ian Botham - Beefy is my king.
9. Curtly Ambrose - correct attitude and QUALITY bowler
10. Jim Laker - First man to take 10 wickets in an innings in a Test.
11. Courtney Walsh - partnered with Curtly, I used to dread their first 10 overs against England.

Feel free to comment/criticise!! :)

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Michael Vaughan
Herschelle Gibbs
Gary Kirsten
*Brian Lara
Rahul Dravid
Andrew Flintoff
+Tatenda Taibu
Shane Warne
Shoaib Akhtar
Muttiah Muralitharan
Stephen Harmison

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Adamc said:
Peter Taylor, grrrr:!(... I was at a dinner where he was guest speaker and he said Courtney Walsh was a chucker :!( (he also said the same about Murali and Brett Lee).
Well first of all it is my team and he is someone I loved to watch play. I loved his bowling action - 1 of a kind!

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Atherton
Stewart
Lara
Richards (V)
Botham
Flintoff
Russell (wk)
Marshall
Agarkar
Warne
Ambrose

Weakish from 5 down, but play I don't care!

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
A Chopra
T Gripper
M Goodwin
G Flower (wk)
P Collingwood
M Vermeulen
O Banks
Cr White (c)
A Hall
V Drakes
S MacGill

As for Grant Fkiwer keeping, I know he is not a keeper (his brother is), but I picked my team and it didnt have a keeper in it and hes the only one in the lineup I would even think about giving cloves to.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
hmm, so hard, ohh well here goes

N Harvey
M Slater
B Lara
D Bradman(*)
V Richards
A Gilchrist(+)
I Botham
Murali
DK Lillee
J Gillespie
M Marshall

woulde have loved to see Bradman and richards bat in the flesh, and marshall and lillee bowl.

hourn

U19 Cricketer
this would be players i like watching too, not neccesarilly a best team ever

Matt Hayden
Herschelle Gibbs
Don Bradman
Viv Richards
Steve Waugh
Adam Gilchrist
Wasim Akram
Malcolm Marshall
Shane Warne
Curtley Ambrose
Clarrie Grimmett

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I wouldn't pick any pre-madonna's in that team..i.e. players who would throw the towel in after taking some tap.

Players like Steve Waugh, Mike Atherton, Richard Hadlee, Viv Richards etc are guys who really put their hands up when other players couldn't handle it.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Prince EWS said:
As for Grant Fkiwer keeping, I know he is not a keeper (his brother is), but I picked my team and it didnt have a keeper in it and hes the only one in the lineup I would even think about giving cloves to.
What about Gripper?