• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Right Armers ATG vs Left Armers ATG

salman85

International Debutant
Just an idea that struck me.I dont think theres been a thread along these lines before so i thought ill make one.

As the title suggests, you have to come up with one ATG of all right handers, and the other ATG team of all left handers, and then decide which one is stronger according to each member.I dont think theres a possibility of a left handers team being better than the right handers team because of the sheer number of more ATG players being right handers, but lets see what teams people come up with.

Only two conditions :

1) No bradman in the right handers ATG side,just to make things slightly even.

2)Players who bowl right handed and bat left handed or vice versa can only be selected in the left handers ATG side.

watson

Banned
01. Bill Lawry
02. Roy Fredericks
03. Neil Harvey
04. Graeme Pollock
05. Garry Sobers
06. Brian Lara
07. Adam Gilchrist
08. Alan Davidson
09. Wasim Akram
10. Hedley Verity
11. Bill Johnston

Last edited:

watson

Banned
01. Jack Hobbs
02. Sunil Gavaskar
03. Viv Richards
04. Greg Chappell
05. Sachin Tendulkar
06. Jacques Kallis
07. Alan Knott
08. Imran Khan
09. Malcolm Marshall
10. Dennis Lillee
11. Bill O'Reilly

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Heh okay. I'll post up my process as I go along in my post because I'm sure you're all so interested. I'm only going to consider Tests for this.

My Test ATWXI irrespective of handedness would be something like this:

1 Hobbs
2 Hutton
3 Bradman
4 Tendulkar
5 Hammond/Headley
6 Sobers
7 Gilchrist
8 Imran
9 Hadlee
10 Marshall
11 Murali

Sobers, Gilchrist and Hadlee batted left handed. The rest of them were all batted and bowled right handed. Bradman's been banned so I'm left with:

Pure right handers:
1. Hobbs
2. Hutton
3. Headley
4. Tendulkar
5. Hammond
8. Imran
10. Marshall
11. Murali

I'll fill in the empty spots with Miller, Knott and Barnes.

Pure right handers final XI:
1. Hobbs
2. Hutton
3. Headley
4. Tendulkar
5. Hammond
6. Miller
7. Knott
8. Imran
9. Marshall
10. Barnes
11. Murali

Left handers/mixed XI:
1. Worrell
2. Lawry
3. Lara
4. Harvey
5. Border
6. Sobers
7. Gilchrist
8. Wasim
9. Davidson
10. Hadlee
11. O'Reilly

Opening batsmen were hard to the point of me cheating a bit, although Worrell did open in a few Tests and made 191 once in the position.

Last edited:

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Left handers/mixed XI:
1. Worrell
2. Lawry
3. Lara
4. Harvey
5. Border
6. Sobers
7. Gilchrist
8. Wasim
9. Davidson
10. Hadlee
11. Bedi

Opening batsmen were hard to the point of me cheating a bit, although Worrell did open in a few Tests and made 191 once in the position. I considered S Pollock in for Bedi just so I could stick Hadlee at 11 and feel like a beefy boy would absurd batting depth but Bedi adds more.
Worrell and Pollock were left handed? Not sure if Worrell bowled left hand arm but Pollock was definitely all right handed

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Worrell and Pollock were left handed? Not sure if Worrell bowled left hand arm but Pollock was definitely all right handed
Yeah I confused myself with the Pollock thing; l was considering putting him in the right handers side at one pioint, ignore me. :p

Worrell bowled left arm spin and pace though.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'd go:

Right XI:

Hobbs
Hutton
Richards
Tendulkar
Ponting
Botham
Knott
Imran
Warne
Marshall
Mcgrath

Left XI:

Smith
Lawry
Lara
Graeme Pollock
Harvey
Sobers
Gilchrist
Davidson
Shakib :ph34r:
Wasim
Hadlee

Went for Shakib coz I :wub: him and Bedi is a ****. Also, looking for a third left arm seamer is so difficult. Didn't want to select Hadlee because his primary discipline is right arm. Bill Voce ? No one else really comes to mind. Vaas maybe?

watson

Banned
The selection of Hadlee feels like cheating even though is isn't. What is odd though is that that in the whole history of cricket there isn't a third left-arm fast bowler that can realistically challenge Hadlee's spot. I'm pretty sure that even Bill Johnston would agree.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
According to the op's conditions, Hadlee and Ambrose can get selected in left handed XIs. Why is no one picking them?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
According to the op's conditions, Hadlee and Ambrose can get selected in left handed XIs. Why is no one picking them?
I picked Hadlee. Ambrose completely crossed my mind though; don't tend to think about his batting as such. :p

Howe_zat

Audio File
Heh okay. I'll post up my process as I go along in my post because I'm sure you're all so interested. I'm only going to consider Tests for this.

My Test ATWXI irrespective of handedness would be something like this:

1 Hobbs
2 Hutton
3 Bradman
4 Tendulkar
5 Hammond/Headley
6 Sobers
7 Gilchrist
8 Imran
9 Hadlee
10 Marshall
11 Murali

Sobers, Gilchrist and Hadlee batted left handed. The rest of them were all batted and bowled right handed. Bradman's been banned so I'm left with:

Pure right handers:
1. Hobbs
2. Hutton
3. Headley
4. Tendulkar
5. Hammond
8. Imran
10. Marshall
11. Murali

I'll fill in the empty spots with Miller, Knott and Barnes.

Pure right handers final XI:
1. Hobbs
2. Hutton
3. Headley
4. Tendulkar
5. Hammond
6. Miller
7. Knott
8. Imran
9. Marshall
10. Barnes
11. Murali

Left handers/mixed XI:
1. Worrell
2. Lawry
3. Lara
4. Harvey
5. Border
6. Sobers
7. Gilchrist
8. Wasim
9. Davidson
10. Hadlee
11. Bedi

Opening batsmen were hard to the point of me cheating a bit, although Worrell did open in a few Tests and made 191 once in the position.
Bull**** you'd pick Bedi over O'Reilly. Who are you and what have you done with Cribb

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
They've gotta bowl left armed if they're in the LA XI surely! Reckon Mitch sneaks in now, particularly with the steadiness of Davo and Sobers in the team.

- Lawry
- Taylor
- Lara
- Border
- Sobers
- Harvey
- Gilchrist
- Wasim
- Johnson
- Davidson
- Johnston

- Hobbs
- Hutton
- V. Richards
- Tendulkar
- G. Chappell
- Miller
- Knott
- Imran
- Marshall
- Lillee
- O'Reilly

salman85

International Debutant
Im pretty surprised no one has picked Hayden so far,and also that Gower and especially Border arent automatic picks for the left handers side.

Last edited:

the big bambino

International Captain
Not a big fan of seeing righties in a lefty line up. I'd limit it to their dominant skill which means the likes of Hadlee qualify as righties for mine. Plenty of left arm fast bowlers to make the righties hop about. Johnston, Davidson, Reid, Mitch, Foster, Voce and Akram. No need to pinch righties to make up numbers. My 3 would be Davidson, Akram and Foster as they all offer a bit of batting.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Im pretty surprised no one has picked Hayden so far,and also that Gower and especially Border arent automatic picks for the left handers side.
Hayden doesn't deserve a spot.

Border does, but Gower is not going to be selected over a middle order of Lara, Border, Harvey and Sobers by anyone.