• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Will we ever see an overseas series broadcasted on free to air tv in Australia?

slowerball

Cricket Spectator
Apart from overseas ashes tours...
it would be good...but its a shame that rights and all that are involved (?) I would love it... to be able to watch cricket in footy season, just to mix it up a little

thoughts? :)

cheers

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Apart from overseas ashes tours...
it would be good...but its a shame that rights and all that are involved (?) I would love it... to be able to watch cricket in footy season, just to mix it up a little

thoughts? :)

cheers
No, I can't ever see it.

Sad fact of life today is if you love your sport you have to fork out and get pay TV. I haven't succombed as yet but the time is coming where I know I'll have to bite the bullet and cross to the dark side.

And we are pretty lucky in Australia with what we do get in the way of sport on free to air TV.........no cricket at all on FTA in the UK.

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
I'm in the US and would love to have a decent pay option but its all crap or super expensive. So be glad you have options.

robelinda

International Vice-Captain
Nothing to do with rights, ch 9 get offered the overseas stuff and always refuse, i'm sure its a token offering anyway as Fox will always accept it. From memory the last non-Aus series (inc World Cups etc) to be shown on FTA here was England vs Pakistan in 1992.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
And we are pretty lucky in Australia with what we do get in the way of sport on free to air TV.........no cricket at all on FTA in the UK.
Truth. I couldn't have lived without pay TV in NZ, but happily do so here with the amount of Test/ODI, Big Bash, Tennis, Footy etc on FTA here.

BC_fan_abored

School Boy/Girl Captain
This South Africa series seems perfect for TV given a 10am start in SA equals a 6/7pm start in the east coast of Australia. Weird that they don't think that it could make some money

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
This South Africa series seems perfect for TV given a 10am start in SA equals a 6/7pm start in the east coast of Australia. Weird that they don't think that it could make some money
Agreed, the Aus/Saffer series is definitely the premier test event of this year but I think it still only appeals to the real cricket tragics. The English Ashes series can be shown on (close) to prime time in Oz because it appeals to the casual fans as well......sadly I think for most Aus/Eng folk that's the case, it is only the Ashes that can reach that wider audience in the test format.

Most cricket tragics that you find on a forum like this would I imagine have pay TV (I'm the exception to this rule)

GirtBySea

U19 12th Man
As a kid in 94 or 95 I remember 9 showing the Ashes Test (hosted by Benaud*) and an Australia A against Zimbabwe (hosted by Ritchie*) on the same day (one-day game went into night). Can you ever see that happening again.

*Richie Benaud and Greg Ritchie were the one in two hosts.