• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cook to resign as ODI captain

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
So it seems. Floating about a few threads this one, seems worth having it's own thread.

I wonder if he will keep the test job

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Feel for the guy, there's been a ****load of criticism that's come his way (some unwarranted) and he must be under immense pressure both because of his form and his team's fortunes.

Would've liked to see a bit more fight though.

flibbertyjibber

Morgan to get ODI gig?

As for test captaincy well there aren't any real candidates other than KP and he may be getting dropped anyway. Guess Bell would get it as other senior man. Whoopee.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah would surely be Morgan. Can't see him giving up the Test gig though. Isn't ideal a year before a World Cup considering all the building up to it we've been doing, seems a rash move in general tbh.

YorksLanka

International Debutant
its a shame for the man but i think it will do him good in terms of test cricket and getting to his best..I think it should be Morgan as next captain although to be fair Bell is a decent player too so will be close between them i think...

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
You never know though, a move like this could galvanize the team. So many of us can't believe that Alex Hales can't get a game in your current setup, so replacing Cook with a batsman who is naturally aggressive to open the batting could improve the team. I'm only talking about ODIs here, Cook needs to stay on as Test Captain.

YorksLanka

International Debutant
i would agree..think that kieswetter didnt get a fair run either really...and luke wirght..for me rankin is not good enough, also tymal mills from essex should get a nod as a rapid leeft arm fast..buttler gets runs but always gets left withno time to bat..

Spark

Global Moderator
I don't think Cook is anywhere near as poor an ODI bat as some seem to think, but this is probably a good move.

benchmark00

For those who haven't watched the press conference, Cook has said he'll look at things when he gets home and that he doesn't know which way he'll go.

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain
its a shame for the man but i think it will do him good in terms of test cricket and getting to his best..I think it should be Morgan as next captain although to be fair Bell is a decent player too so will be close between them i think...
Bell is a ****e ODI cricketer, mediocre average and rubbish strike rate.

Cook should never have been ODI captain in the first place. I don't think he should be test captain either, best thing for England would be Cook focusing purely on his batting, and to bring back Mike Brearley in place of Root or some other young ****.

Last edited:

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
Bell is a ****e ODI cricketer, mediocre average and rubbish strike rate.

Cook should never have been ODI captain in the first place. I don't think he should be test captain either, best thing for England would be Cook focusing purely on his batting, and to bring back Mike Brearley in place of Root or some other young ****.
Yeah keep looking at his career average. He's improved radhaddinically since he was picked as an opener a couple of years ago, probably been second only to Trott as a batsman in that time frame.

Also yeah this is just speculation at the mo.

NasserFan207

Yeah keep looking at his career average. He's improved radhaddinically since he was picked as an opener a couple of years ago, probably been second only to Trott as a batsman in that time frame.

Also yeah this is just speculation at the mo.
He scores a bunch of slow, mediocre 30s, 40s, and occasionally 50s, then gets out leaving Morgan/Bopara to score the runs which actually matter. He doesn't score fast enough, doesn't win games, could be easily replaced by fresh blood.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah the criticism you can aim at him is that he hasn't scored big runs, doesn't go on enough etc. But there are much bigger problems in the team, it isn't like there's anyone else regularly going on and getting the scores (other than Trott, who may now be out for good). Bell stays.

theegyptian

I'd prefer Cook to give up the test captaincy rather than the ODI captaincy. Deciding to quit the ODI captaincy and not the test captaincy would be stupid. His main failure has been as test captain- not ODI

Cook initially shouldn't have got the ODI captaincy. He came from outside the team straight into the captaincy in a top order that was all very similar in terms of conventional strokeplay and approach to the game. It was a bad decision at the time. But since then he has been very good as a batsmen and actually has captained the ODI team ok. Not great but not much different from Strauss. He's done ok. This series he has been left with a team decimated from poor form/resting and retirments so he didn't exactly have a vast amount of options especially with regards to the bowling which was limited before you rest your best bowler for the first couple of games.

England reached the champions trophy final only last summer and have had plenty of good results home and away in his time as captain.

Home V Sri Lanka 3-2 win.
Home v india 3-0 win
Away v India 5-0 loss
Away v Pakistan 4-0 win
Home v WI 2-0 win
Home v Aus 4-0 win
Home v SA 2-2 draw
Away v India 3-2 loss
Away v NZ 2-1 win
Home v NZ 2-1 Loss
CT Finalists
Currently losing 3-0 in Aus

So in his time he has won 6 out of 11 bilateral series, drew 1 and lost 4 -. 1 in Aus, 1 to NZ before the champions trophy and twice in India. They've tailed off a bit in the last year but the emphasis has been on the ashes - and they still managed a CT final in that time.

He didn't deserve the captaincy in the first place because he barely warranted selection in the team. Now he has proved himself as a batsman and whilst he isn't great as captain he's done better in ODI cricket than test cricket as captain. I'd much prefer he quit test captaincy and stay on as ODI captain. ODI cricket is completely seperate from test cricket. Cook is losing 8-0 as captain currently but that's only 3-0 as ODI captain against the same team that just slaughtered you in the tests.

Now leaving Cook as ODI captain with a new test captain doesn't work great in theory especially considering the lack of options but Cook won't be thinking on that level. He's thinking we're losing again- must quit ODI captaincy.

Quit test captaincy, Quit both, but don't just quit ODI captaincy imo.

Last edited:

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Agree with that.

I think it would be a mistake coming a year before the World Cup and it would be a decison taken because of what took place in the test series rather than the ODIs. I can understand why such a harrowing tour would make Cook consider his position but captains can recover from these situations, think of Dhoni after the England and Australia tours and even Clarke just a few months ago. I think Cook should stick at it for now, see how the England summer goes before any decisions are made.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Yeah, a resignation would probably be mostly on emotion at this stage than any logic. I just hope if he does resign, he does it in April or May, just before the SL ODI's, instead of just after a series loss.

akilana

International 12th Man
And also similar to Kallis's SR but it was often said that was not good enough.

Last edited: