• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Questions about rules.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
A thread to discuss rules.

Here is the situation. A batsman hits to the deep. He and his partner run a single. The fields-man collects the ball and throws to the keeper's end. As the ball travels in, the keeper accidentally knocks both bails off with his gloves. A split second later, the throw hits the stumps and knocks one stump completely out of the ground, while the batsman is still short of his ground.

Should the batsman be out, or not out?

Red

Can you say why? As I understand the rule, if the wicket is broken and the bails are off, the keeper or a fields-man has to remove a bail with the ball in hand. However, in this instance the stump was actually knocked out of the ground by the throw after the bails had been knocked off.

This happened in a lower grade self umpired game and the central umpire overruled the square legs call of out, and there was some heated debate. No one knew the actual rule here though…

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The rule is that if the bails are removed, the stump has to be removed from the ground, either by the fielder pulling the stump out of the ground with ball in hand or the ball removing the stump completely from the ground.

Red

Which team were you on Monky? Batting or bowling?
Fielding team. We won the game (just) but I think there might have been some issues had we lost.

So, the fielder's throw removed the stump, meaning it was out, but if it hadn't have come out (and just leant over) the correct ruling would've been not out?

Cricket's a funny game. I've played a fair few games in my life and there's always something new cropping up! I'd never seen this situation before!

Red

Can you say why? As I understand the rule, if the wicket is broken and the bails are off, the keeper or a fields-man has to remove a bail with the ball in hand. However, in this instance the stump was actually knocked out of the ground by the throw after the bails had been knocked off.

This happened in a lower grade self umpired game and the central umpire overruled the square legs call of out, and there was some heated debate. No one knew the actual rule here though…
Sorry, meant stump in that post...

Spikey

never heard that.

benchmark00

Fielding team. We won the game (just) but I think there might have been some issues had we lost.

So, the fielder's throw removed the stump, meaning it was out, but if it hadn't have come out (and just leant over) the correct ruling would've been not out?

Cricket's a funny game. I've played a fair few games in my life and there's always something new cropping up! I'd never seen this situation before!
Yeah that's right, needs to be removed from the ground.

A rule I didn't know until it happened to me in a match about four years ago now was the dead ball off a helmet rule.

I was facing a spinner, it was short and I flogged a pull shot into the head of the short leg fielder (who was wearing a lid), it popped up and was caught at square leg. I started walking off and was called back by the ump because it's a dead ball and couldn't be caught off the helmet.

Always wondered what would have happened if it went for four off the helmet.

Was lucky we had state level umps who know what was going on otherwise I wouldn't have been called back no doubt.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Alright, one that happened to me on the weekend.

I'm batting and all of a sudden my glasses decide to fall apart - can't get the lens back in so can't really continue batting as normal (not being able to see and all). I have to leave the field.

Am I retired not out/retired hurt or retired out? Is the glasses breaking comparable to an injury in this circumstance? Or is it like a bat or helmet breaking - replace it and get on with it, or deal without it?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Alright, one that happened to me on the weekend.

I'm batting and all of a sudden my glasses decide to fall apart - can't get the lens back in so can't really continue batting as normal (not being able to see and all). I have to leave the field.

Am I retired not out/retired hurt or retired out? Is the glasses breaking comparable to an injury in this circumstance? Or is it like a bat or helmet breaking - replace it and get on with it, or deal without it?
Would be a dog act from the opposition captain to insist you were out in any event, but I think it qualifies as an "unavoidable cause" so you'd be allowed to retire not out.

9. Batsman leaving the field or retiring
A batsman may retire at any time during his innings. The umpires, before allowing play to proceed, shall be informed of the reason for a batsman retiring.
(a) If a batsman retires because of illness, injury or any other unavoidable cause, he is entitled to resume his innings subject to (c) below. If for any reason he does not do so, his innings is to be recorded as 'Retired – not out'.
(b) If a batsman retires for any reason other than as in (a) above, he may only resume his innings with the consent of the opposing captain. If for any reason he does not resume his innings it is to be recorded as 'Retired – out'.
(c) If after retiring a batsman resumes his innings, it shall be only at the fall of a wicket or the retirement of another batsman.

Daemon

It's an injury because you came into the match knowing fully well that you were short/far sighted. Suck it Dan. You were out and your average will drop.

Red

Just found this in Law 28.

a) The wicket is put down if a bail is completely removed from the top of the stumps, or a stump is struck out of the ground,

(i) by the ball,

or (ii) by the striker’s bat if he is holding it or by any part of his bat that he is holding,

the big bambino

International Captain
A thread to discuss rules.

Here is the situation. A batsman hits to the deep. He and his partner run a single. The fields-man collects the ball and throws to the keeper's end. As the ball travels in, the keeper accidentally knocks both bails off with his gloves. A split second later, the throw hits the stumps and knocks one stump completely out of the ground, while the batsman is still short of his ground.

Should the batsman be out, or not out?
Just do what WG did. Knock the stump back in and tell them people have come to see me bat not you bowl.