Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Questions about rules.

International Vice-Captain BeeGee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Yeah that's right, needs to be removed from the ground.

A rule I didn't know until it happened to me in a match about four years ago now was the dead ball off a helmet rule.

I was facing a spinner, it was short and I flogged a pull shot into the head of the short leg fielder (who was wearing a lid), it popped up and was caught at square leg. I started walking off and was called back by the ump because it's a dead ball and couldn't be caught off the helmet.

Always wondered what would have happened if it went for four off the helmet.

Was lucky we had state level umps who know what was going on otherwise I wouldn't have been called back no doubt.
    Yeah, that's an interesting rule that kind of makes sense, but kind of doesn't also. What if the ball comes off the short leg fielder's box and is caught? Or shin guard? Or any other protective equipment?
    Last edited by BeeGee; 21-01-2014 at 04:45 PM.

International Vice-Captain Monk's Avatar
    Another thing that happened recently that made me curious was when I got a "5" (have played for years but this is the first time this has happened.

I hit a single, the fielder had a shot at the stumps but missed and his throw went to the fence.

Why isn't this just a four? Not that I was complaining, but yeh….

Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    Quote Originally Posted by Monk View Post
    Another thing that happened recently that made me curious was when I got a "5" (have played for years but this is the first time this has happened.

I hit a single, the fielder had a shot at the stumps but missed and his throw went to the fence.

It's over throws boi. I guess one of the reasons it's a rule is to safeguard against the unlikely event of a team running 5 and then the fielders just flinging it into the boundary to save a run.
    Parmi | #1 draft pick | Jake King is **** | Big Bash League tipping champion of the universe
    Come and Paint Turtle
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Kohli. Do something in test cricket for once please.

Thanks.

Law 19:7. Overthrow or wilful act of fielder

If the boundary results from an overthrow or from the wilful act of a fielder the runs scored shall be
    (i) any runs for penalties awarded to either side
    and (ii) the allowance for the boundary
    and (iii) the runs completed by the batsmen, together with the run in progress if they had already crossed at the instant of the throw or act.
    Yeh. Guess I'm gonna have to read a lot before I make it as an elite umpire.

International Coach
    Suicide Bob Champion!

You need to watch lagaan.

Dan
    Global Moderator / Cricket Web Staff Member Dan's Avatar
    A small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Betelgeuse
    Monk, didn't you see that 7 in the Ashes Test?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    Monk, didn't you see that 7 in the Ashes Test?
    Nup, but I read about, then recalled, Symonds getting an 8 a few years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Yeah that's right, needs to be removed from the ground.

A rule I didn't know until it happened to me in a match about four years ago now was the dead ball off a helmet rule.

I was facing a spinner, it was short and I flogged a pull shot into the head of the short leg fielder (who was wearing a lid), it popped up and was caught at square leg. I started walking off and was called back by the ump because it's a dead ball and couldn't be caught off the helmet.

Always wondered what would have happened if it went for four off the helmet.

Was lucky we had state level umps who know what was going on otherwise I wouldn't have been called back no doubt.
    BIB - the runs would have counted. The ball remains live but the catch would be disallowed.

I had a good one three years ago.

The batsman swung one to leg in the air.

The ball hit the fielder at short leg on the helmet and bounced down. The fielder flicked the ball on to the stumps, breaking the wicket.

On appeal my colleague (the strikers end umpire) gave not out as the batsman was in his ground.

The bowler turned to me and asked if it would have been out had the batsman been out of his ground.

I gave the correct answer.

What would you give?

Any runs already completed or in the act of being completed (defined as the batsmen having crossed) at the moment that the ball is thrown shall count in addition to the boundary 4. If the ball is deliberately kicked over he boundary 5 penalty runs would be added to those already scored.

It's amazing how many very good and very experienced players don't know that a stump being completely knocked from the ground (if the bails are already off) is sufficient for a run pout to be effected.
    Monk likes this.

International Vice-Captain BeeGee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Biryani Pillow View Post
    It's amazing how many very good and very experienced players don't know that a stump being completely knocked from the ground (if the bails are already off) is sufficient for a run pout to be effected.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information