• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Questions about rules.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
The rule is that if the bails are removed, the stump has to be removed from the ground, either by the fielder pulling the stump out of the ground with ball in hand or the ball removing the stump completely from the ground.
I remember umpiring a game 3 years ago where the keeper's pad moved the stumps and knocked off a bail, but he just knocked off the other bail with the ball and started celebrating. Obviously I had to step in and explain why the batsman wasn't dismissed. The whole fielding team ganged up on me and I thought I was going to have to physically defend myself with the stumps. Thankfully a rather elderly gentleman from the other team stepped in, explained how they were being ****s and saved them the embarrassment of having to clean up after me.

It's amazing how many heated arguments I've witnessed because of this rule, as a player and as an umpire.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Yeah that's right, needs to be removed from the ground.

A rule I didn't know until it happened to me in a match about four years ago now was the dead ball off a helmet rule.

I was facing a spinner, it was short and I flogged a pull shot into the head of the short leg fielder (who was wearing a lid), it popped up and was caught at square leg. I started walking off and was called back by the ump because it's a dead ball and couldn't be caught off the helmet.

Always wondered what would have happened if it went for four off the helmet.

Was lucky we had state level umps who know what was going on otherwise I wouldn't have been called back no doubt.
I didn't know about it either until the Indo-Pak series (I think, might've been SA that same year) in '07 when the Pakistani silly mid-on (Farhat?) caught one. I think they spent the next 10 minutes watching replays to see first if it was indeed a Pakistani that caught a red ball and to see if the ball nicked the face guard first.

Also didn't know until that year that if the ball hits a stray helmet on the ground the fielding side gets penalized 5 runs. We had a real problem in the league with empty water/gatorade bottles on the field so we extended the rule to stray bottles as well.

the big bambino

International Captain
I remember umpiring a game 3 years ago where the keeper's pad moved the stumps and knocked off a bail, but he just knocked off the other bail with the ball and started celebrating. Obviously I had to step in and explain why the batsman wasn't dismissed. The whole fielding team ganged up on me and I thought I was going to have to physically defend myself with the stumps. Thankfully a rather elderly gentleman from the other team stepped in, explained how they were being ****s and saved them the embarrassment of having to clean up after me.

It's amazing how many heated arguments I've witnessed because of this rule, as a player and as an umpire.
I thought you only had to knock down one bail so I'd have celebrated too. Assuming he hasn't made his ground what quirk of the rule allows the batsman to be in if you only knock off the remaining bail?

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
I thought you only had to knock down one bail so I'd have celebrated too. Assuming he hasn't made his ground what quirk of the rule allows the batsman to be in if you only knock off the remaining bail?
I confused it with another incident where I was playing. In this instance both bails were off and the guy just slammed the ball into the stumps with no bails.

BeeGee

International Captain

A rule I didn't know until it happened to me in a match about four years ago now was the dead ball off a helmet rule.

I was facing a spinner, it was short and I flogged a pull shot into the head of the short leg fielder (who was wearing a lid), it popped up and was caught at square leg. I started walking off and was called back by the ump because it's a dead ball and couldn't be caught off the helmet.

Was lucky we had state level umps who know what was going on otherwise I wouldn't have been called back no doubt.
Yeah, that's an interesting rule that kind of makes sense, but kind of doesn't also. What if the ball comes off the short leg fielder's box and is caught? Or shin guard? Or any other protective equipment?

Last edited:

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Another thing that happened recently that made me curious was when I got a "5" (have played for years but this is the first time this has happened.

I hit a single, the fielder had a shot at the stumps but missed and his throw went to the fence.

Why isn't this just a four? Not that I was complaining, but yeh….

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Another thing that happened recently that made me curious was when I got a "5" (have played for years but this is the first time this has happened.

I hit a single, the fielder had a shot at the stumps but missed and his throw went to the fence.

It's over throws boi. I guess one of the reasons it's a rule is to safeguard against the unlikely event of a team running 5 and then the fielders just flinging it into the boundary to save a run.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Law 19:7. Overthrow or wilful act of fielder

If the boundary results from an overthrow or from the wilful act of a fielder the runs scored shall be
(i) any runs for penalties awarded to either side
and (ii) the allowance for the boundary
and (iii) the runs completed by the batsmen, together with the run in progress if they had already crossed at the instant of the throw or act.
Yeh. Guess I'm gonna have to read a lot before I make it as an elite umpire.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!

You need to watch lagaan.

Biryani Pillow

U19 Vice-Captain

BIB - the runs would have counted. The ball remains live but the catch would be disallowed.

I had a good one three years ago.

The batsman swung one to leg in the air.

The ball hit the fielder at short leg on the helmet and bounced down. The fielder flicked the ball on to the stumps, breaking the wicket.

On appeal my colleague (the strikers end umpire) gave not out as the batsman was in his ground.

The bowler turned to me and asked if it would have been out had the batsman been out of his ground.

I gave the correct answer.

What would you give?

Any runs already completed or in the act of being completed (defined as the batsmen having crossed) at the moment that the ball is thrown shall count in addition to the boundary 4. If the ball is deliberately kicked over he boundary 5 penalty runs would be added to those already scored.

It's amazing how many very good and very experienced players don't know that a stump being completely knocked from the ground (if the bails are already off) is sufficient for a run pout to be effected.