Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 39
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Questions about rules.

  1. #16
    Global Moderator Prince EWS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Moving to Somalia
    Posts
    43,393
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    Alright, one that happened to me on the weekend.

    I'm batting and all of a sudden my glasses decide to fall apart - can't get the lens back in so can't really continue batting as normal (not being able to see and all). I have to leave the field.

    Am I retired not out/retired hurt or retired out? Is the glasses breaking comparable to an injury in this circumstance? Or is it like a bat or helmet breaking - replace it and get on with it, or deal without it?
    Would be a dog act from the opposition captain to insist you were out in any event, but I think it qualifies as an "unavoidable cause" so you'd be allowed to retire not out.

    9. Batsman leaving the field or retiring
    A batsman may retire at any time during his innings. The umpires, before allowing play to proceed, shall be informed of the reason for a batsman retiring.
    (a) If a batsman retires because of illness, injury or any other unavoidable cause, he is entitled to resume his innings subject to (c) below. If for any reason he does not do so, his innings is to be recorded as 'Retired – not out'.
    (b) If a batsman retires for any reason other than as in (a) above, he may only resume his innings with the consent of the opposing captain. If for any reason he does not resume his innings it is to be recorded as 'Retired – out'.
    (c) If after retiring a batsman resumes his innings, it shall be only at the fall of a wicket or the retirement of another batsman.
    ~ Cribbage

    Quote Originally Posted by Riggins View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by simonlee48 View Post
    Sanga has done well but Murali has done better. In my opinion, Murali is simply the best off spinner in history of cricket and I can't make that kind of statement for Sanga.
    Sanga isn't the best off spinner in the history of cricket? News to me.

  2. #17
    International Coach
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Not really needed on CW
    Posts
    12,536
    It's an injury because you came into the match knowing fully well that you were short/far sighted. Suck it Dan. You were out and your average will drop.
    Hurricane, andyc and Garson007 like this.

  3. #18
    International Vice-Captain Monk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    4,428
    Just found this in Law 28.

    a) The wicket is put down if a bail is completely removed from the top of the stumps, or a stump is struck out of the ground,

    (i) by the ball,

    or (ii) by the striker’s bat if he is holding it or by any part of his bat that he is holding,

  4. #19
    Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    Posts
    37,156
    Quote Originally Posted by Monk View Post
    Just found this in Law 28.
    Didn't I tell you this a day ago ffs?
    Parmi | #1 draft pick | Jake King is **** | Big Bash League tipping champion of the universe
    Come and Paint Turtle
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Kohli. Do something in test cricket for once please.

    Thanks.


  5. #20
    International Debutant
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Dunno. I say Marco you say Polo.
    Posts
    2,046
    Quote Originally Posted by Monk View Post
    A thread to discuss rules.

    Here is the situation. A batsman hits to the deep. He and his partner run a single. The fields-man collects the ball and throws to the keeper's end. As the ball travels in, the keeper accidentally knocks both bails off with his gloves. A split second later, the throw hits the stumps and knocks one stump completely out of the ground, while the batsman is still short of his ground.

    Should the batsman be out, or not out?
    Just do what WG did. Knock the stump back in and tell them people have come to see me bat not you bowl.

  6. #21
    International Vice-Captain Monk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    4,428
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Didn't I tell you this a day ago ffs?
    Yeh, but would've preferred it referenced.

    Never doubted you were wrong btw….

  7. #22
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    All Glory To The Nev
    Posts
    32,517
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
    It's an injury because you came into the match knowing fully well that you were short/far sighted. Suck it Dan. You were out and your average will drop.
    glasses breaking perfectly avoidable
    Indians can't bowl - Where has the rumour come from as I myself and many indian friends arwe competent fast bowlers ?

    With the English bid I said: Let us be brief. If you give back the Falkland Islands, which belong to us, you will get my vote. They then became sad and left

  8. #23
    Global Moderator nightprowler10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Madhouse on Madison
    Posts
    14,186
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    The rule is that if the bails are removed, the stump has to be removed from the ground, either by the fielder pulling the stump out of the ground with ball in hand or the ball removing the stump completely from the ground.
    I remember umpiring a game 3 years ago where the keeper's pad moved the stumps and knocked off a bail, but he just knocked off the other bail with the ball and started celebrating. Obviously I had to step in and explain why the batsman wasn't dismissed. The whole fielding team ganged up on me and I thought I was going to have to physically defend myself with the stumps. Thankfully a rather elderly gentleman from the other team stepped in, explained how they were being ****s and saved them the embarrassment of having to clean up after me.

    It's amazing how many heated arguments I've witnessed because of this rule, as a player and as an umpire.
    RIP Craigos

  9. #24
    Global Moderator nightprowler10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Madhouse on Madison
    Posts
    14,186
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Yeah that's right, needs to be removed from the ground.

    A rule I didn't know until it happened to me in a match about four years ago now was the dead ball off a helmet rule.

    I was facing a spinner, it was short and I flogged a pull shot into the head of the short leg fielder (who was wearing a lid), it popped up and was caught at square leg. I started walking off and was called back by the ump because it's a dead ball and couldn't be caught off the helmet.

    Always wondered what would have happened if it went for four off the helmet.

    Was lucky we had state level umps who know what was going on otherwise I wouldn't have been called back no doubt.
    I didn't know about it either until the Indo-Pak series (I think, might've been SA that same year) in '07 when the Pakistani silly mid-on (Farhat?) caught one. I think they spent the next 10 minutes watching replays to see first if it was indeed a Pakistani that caught a red ball and to see if the ball nicked the face guard first.

    Also didn't know until that year that if the ball hits a stray helmet on the ground the fielding side gets penalized 5 runs. We had a real problem in the league with empty water/gatorade bottles on the field so we extended the rule to stray bottles as well.

  10. #25
    Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Jason Koumas is having a party
    Posts
    48,131
    There was a tree at Kent (I think) that was 5 for hitting it iirc

  11. #26
    International Debutant
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Dunno. I say Marco you say Polo.
    Posts
    2,046
    Quote Originally Posted by nightprowler10 View Post
    I remember umpiring a game 3 years ago where the keeper's pad moved the stumps and knocked off a bail, but he just knocked off the other bail with the ball and started celebrating. Obviously I had to step in and explain why the batsman wasn't dismissed. The whole fielding team ganged up on me and I thought I was going to have to physically defend myself with the stumps. Thankfully a rather elderly gentleman from the other team stepped in, explained how they were being ****s and saved them the embarrassment of having to clean up after me.

    It's amazing how many heated arguments I've witnessed because of this rule, as a player and as an umpire.
    I thought you only had to knock down one bail so I'd have celebrated too. Assuming he hasn't made his ground what quirk of the rule allows the batsman to be in if you only knock off the remaining bail?

  12. #27
    State Vice-Captain
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    1,207
    (ii) by the striker’s bat if he is holding it or by any part of his bat that he is holding
    Itstl. So a broken bat or a bat slipping from the hand cannot be a hit-wicket.

  13. #28
    Global Moderator nightprowler10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Madhouse on Madison
    Posts
    14,186
    Quote Originally Posted by the big bambino View Post
    I thought you only had to knock down one bail so I'd have celebrated too. Assuming he hasn't made his ground what quirk of the rule allows the batsman to be in if you only knock off the remaining bail?
    I confused it with another incident where I was playing. In this instance both bails were off and the guy just slammed the ball into the stumps with no bails.

  14. #29
    Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    Posts
    37,156
    Sounds like the issue had you stumped.

  15. #30
    International Debutant
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Dunno. I say Marco you say Polo.
    Posts
    2,046
    Quote Originally Posted by nightprowler10 View Post
    I confused it with another incident where I was playing. In this instance both bails were off and the guy just slammed the ball into the stumps with no bails.
    Cheers for the clarification.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Rules questions
    By Lenzar in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-11-2012, 06:46 PM
  2. Two Questions
    By Sanz in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 57
    Last Post: 05-06-2010, 04:40 PM
  3. New Rules Gentlemen New Rules. . .
    By SJS in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 28-12-2009, 02:47 AM
  4. Questions... Questions That Need Answering
    By Stuartp in forum Fantasy Cricket
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 19-10-2006, 10:45 AM
  5. Questions...
    By R_Powell_fan in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 24-11-2002, 02:52 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •