• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

India team in VB tri-series?

jpatel1508

Cricket Spectator
Hi, does anybody here know the team that is selected for the ODI against Australia and Zimbabwae?

Also, will Ambati Rayudu will be making his debut for the national team?

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Here's the squad that was announced.

*Sourav Ganguly
Rahul Dravid
Sachin Tendulkar
Virender Sehwag
VVS Laxman
Yuvraj Singh
Rohan Gavaskar - added 4th Jan
Mohammad Kaif - withdrawn 1st Jan
+Parthiv Patel
Ajit Agarkar
Anil Kumble
Murali Kartik
Irfan Pathan
Ashish Nehra
L Balaji
Sanjay Bangar
Hemang Badani

I really wanted to see if Kaif could lift his game on this tour but unfortunately he's out :(

NikhilN

International Regular
*Sourav Ganguly
Rahul Dravid
Sachin Tendulkar
Virender Sehwag
VVS Laxman
Yuvraj Singh
Rohan Gavaskar - added 4th Jan
Mohammad Kaif - withdrawn 1st Jan
+Parthiv Patel
Ajit Agarkar
Anil Kumble
Murali Kartik
Irfan Pathan
Ashish Nehra
L Balaji
Sanjay Bangar
Hemang Badani

jpatel1508

Cricket Spectator
Thanks for the quick reply guys, but when do you think Rayudu will get selected. Didn't Yuvraj start his international cricket career at 18?

krkode

State Captain
Yuvraj strikes me as a very good batsman. I've only seen him very little (including his magnificent batting debut against Australia) but what I've seen of him is impressive.

I hope he pulls through well in this series...

V Reddy

International Debutant
krkode said:
Yuvraj strikes me as a very good batsman. I've only seen him very little (including his magnificent batting debut against Australia) but what I've seen of him is impressive.

I hope he pulls through well in this series...
You must have seen him against Pakistan in the WC. It was a superb knock under pressure.

Rayudu has been inconsistent in the Ranji Trophy and hasn't done well when he was picked for India A. He looks to me like a Sehwag type player who goes for his shots. He needs to pile up some hundreds before he can be considered.

ReallyCrazy

Banned
Yes Yuvraj is good but he is good only in patches. He is very inconsistent. He is c.r.a.p against spin, ok against pace.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
You really wouldn't want to be a batsman in Indian at the moment would you? In the test team you will find it hard to get into that middle order - Dravid, Tendlukar, Ganguly & Laxman still have plenty of years left in them. I mean they only selected Ramesh & Dasgupta as extra batsman on the tour - both openers (Dasgupta was replacement keeper aswell). Only really Chopra's place is in question - but he bats well with Sehwag and they are a consistent opening pairing.

And the 1D team is just as bad (i mean good) - Tendukar, Sehwag, Ganguly, Dravid, Youvraj, Laxman, etc. are all pressing. very tough for Indian batsman.

What do you guys think they should do with their 1D keeping situation? Should they play Dravid as keeper and play an extra batsman or will they play Patel? I think Patel is good enough now to play as a 7th batsman.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
ReallyCrazy said:
Patel should improve quite a bit before he becomes the regular 1D keeper. They should still go with Dravid.
Dravid is nowhere near Patel's level with the gloves - but the question is whether a 7th batsman will add more than him keeping.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Rayudu was quite special for India U19s in England in 2002 but he doesn't seem to have made the steps onwards from that.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Dravid's keeping could cost India a lot. Plus it tires him out more thus possibly affecting his tremendous batting. I think they should play Patel.

Tendulkar
Sehwag
Dravid
Ganguly
Laxman
Yuvraj
Patel
Agarkar
Kumble
Pathan
Nehra

That's the team I'd play considering Zaheer Kahn is out and I'm sure they'll play 3 pace bowlers. But if Nehra isn't up to standard and is still feeling the effects of his ankle injury then they may play Balagi.

Bazza

International 12th Man
Neil Pickup said:
Rayudu was quite special for India U19s in England in 2002 but he doesn't seem to have made the steps onwards from that.
So making the assumption the guy's no older than 20, he has plenty of time to improve so that he can take his chance when the time comes?