• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How good is Abdur Rehman?

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Bowls second fiddle to Ajmal, does the dirty work of keeping it tight and does not play every game for Pakistan. But the amount of spin he puts on the ball is just mind boggling. Bowling at 55-60mph, he still turns it square when conditions suit him. Averages 28 with the ball too

How do you rate him?

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
as far as left arm orthodox, he's better than Jadeja but not as good as Herath. Probably just a touch below Ojha.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
While Rehman's record benefits from the fact that he plays mainly in conditions that warrant 2 spinners, he plays his role very well, classy spinner. However until I see him bowl in less friendly conditions without best mate Ajmal it's hard for me to make a judgement, he did take 9 for in a county game once though

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Wouldn't say those would be 'less friendly conditions' at all. And this isn't my usual CC sux troll thing ftr.

Ojha once took 6-8, Jeets does pretty well there, Kartik does better there than at home, Chawla did alright in his latest stint despite averaging 40+ at home for a few years etc. Some English guys who watch county cricket to shed some light.

Eds

International Debutant
While Rehman's record benefits from the fact that he plays mainly in conditions that warrant 2 spinners, he plays his role very well, classy spinner. However until I see him bowl in less friendly conditions without best mate Ajmal it's hard for me to make a judgement, he did take 9 for in a county game once though
Why does Ajmal bowling in the same game make a difference?

If anything, it's much, much easier to make a judgment as Ajmal can be used as the, er, benchmark.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Why does Ajmal bowling in the same game make a difference?

If anything, it's much, much easier to make a judgment as Ajmal can be used as the, er, benchmark.
Not really, because you only see Rehman bowl in certain conditions, also I'd imagine it's easier to bowl as a spinner when you have a world class spinner at the other end building pressure and really challenging the batsmen. So you get a decent idea of what he's like in spin friendly conditions partnering Ajmal, but you don't find out much else

Last edited:

mde203

Cricket Spectator
He was bloody good when he came over to play for Somerset a couple of years ago, unplayable at times. Although when you see him sat in full view on the balcony having a smoke between innings you get a little concerned.