• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Lehmann to replace Waugh

Tyke

Cricket Spectator
There is speculation in Yorkshire (Lehmann's English county) that Darren will replace Waugh at #5, and play in the ODI's. Is there any truth to that since it would mean he would miss most of July for Yorkshire. If you have ANY news please post it on our cricket site: The White Rose Cricket site (Lehmann is "God" in Yorkshire)

http://www.network54.com/Forum/274761

G'day mates...

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
There is no news from me but it will be a huge surprise if Lehmann doesnt come back to the Aussie test side after his injury. He had established himself in the test side before he was injured in the bried period that he did play test cricket for Australia and I dont see aussies chosing Katich, Hussey, Love, Bevan or even Hodge over a Darren Lehmann based on his past performances with the national squad, Lehmann's ability to play spin and bowl too.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
yeah providing lehmanns fit in time for the touring squad announcement he should tour Sri Lanka, after that, who knows, depends how he goes i spose.

also i think lehmann might just bat at 4 in the test side and martyn 5

Hero_Don

School Boy/Girl Captain
Thats just stupidity, Clarke would come before Lehmann, Lehmann is too old. Clarke is by far the better alternitive

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Hero_Don said:
Thats just stupidity, Clarke would come before Lehmann, Lehmann is too old. Clarke is by far the better alternitive
Clarke won't get picked, doesn't take a genius to work that out.

Lehmann is the better alternative, he has a hell of a lot of experiance, is more consistant, has a better record, his bowling has actually been used with success in FC Cricket, and he's come back into the side after a long time away and pushed his average to over 50. He deserves to come back in since he has done nothing wrong, and it would benefit the side. Picking Clarke would be supidity, he's shown no consistancy this year, and how could picking a raw and rather rash youngster benefit the team? You need someone who's got experiance and won't crack when the pressure gets too much, and that's Lehmann in one for me.

mavric41

State Vice-Captain
Rik said:
Clarke won't get picked, doesn't take a genius to work that out.

Lehmann is the better alternative, he has a hell of a lot of experiance, is more consistant, has a better record, his bowling has actually been used with success in FC Cricket, and he's come back into the side after a long time away and pushed his average to over 50. He deserves to come back in since he has done nothing wrong, and it would benefit the side. Picking Clarke would be supidity, he's shown no consistancy this year, and how could picking a raw and rather rash youngster benefit the team? You need someone who's got experiance and won't crack when the pressure gets too much, and that's Lehmann in one for me.
Actually I think Clarke, with a reasonable season behind him, will be picked to tour but won't be first choice in the test team. It will be part of his ongoing cricket education. Lehmann will be first choice to replace Waugh. If the tour was going to a pace focused place then Love would get picked over Clarke but I think that the selectors will bend to public pressure (and pressure from some ex-Test cricketers who are now commentating)

Last edited:

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
While there is no questions about Lehmann not getting selected if he is not injured, the extra batting slot in the team will be fough hard between Clarke, Love, Hussey, even Hodge and Bevan as Trever Hohns had mentioned Beven is an option they are looking. Now Clarke is a talented youngster with potential but doesnt have enough consistency to keep a place against Love specially. Love isnt as talented as Clarke and certainly not as young but he doesnt throw his wicket away. I have seen Clarke throw his wicket a few times. There are the one dayers for him to gain experience after which he would be a good choice in the team. The selectors have shown age is not such a huge criteria for the test team by picking Lehmann when no one expected him to be selected even though he was absolutely rampaging in both Australian and English cricket with the runs.

It would surprise me if Clarke does get picked in the end. He has potential but not enough consistency or a gr8 track record compared to the players he is competing against at the moment.

Last edited:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Hero_Don said:
Based on what?

Lehmann super player of spin.
Lehmann proven to be able to do it in Tests.
Lehmann a far better support bowling option.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
Based on what?

Lehmann super player of spin.
Lehmann proven to be able to do it in Tests.
Lehmann a far better support bowling option.

all true, 1 thing though - assuming Katich gets picked, Lehmann really wont be doing much bowling :)

hehe Katich would also get relieved of short leg duties :lol: :lol:

Craig

World Traveller
Well at least standing there in short leg you are always in the game or if you are a bulletproof head like Brian Close then that's the spot for you.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I dont think there is any doubt at all that Lehmann will get picked for Australia. He is only out becuase he is injurred, and judges from what the selectors id with Damien Martyn, Lehmann will go in without any discussion really needed.

Damien martyn was injurred and was automatically put in the side by the selectors, and they had to frop a players who had just made 100* to do it. In Lehmann's case, they dont even need a player to be dropped, so really the replacement for Steve Waugh is Simon Katich.

In fact I think even if Steve Waugh hadnt retired then Lehmann would still be looked at to come back, at teh expense of either Martyn or Katich, but teh slectors would actually have to think for that one.

As good as he is, I dont think Clarke has any hope at all of making the side. He is a few spots back in the pecking order.

1. Lehmann

2. Love
3. Clarke
4. Bevan/Hussey/Hodge

I dont really agree with this, but I think this is how the selctors would see it.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Tyke said:
There is speculation in Yorkshire (Lehmann's English county) that Darren will replace Waugh at #5, and play in the ODI's. Is there any truth to that since it would mean he would miss most of July for Yorkshire. If you have ANY news please post it on our cricket site: The White Rose Cricket site (Lehmann is "God" in Yorkshire)

http://www.network54.com/Forum/274761

G'day mates...
If I get to hear anything, I will place it HERE, or in Cricket Web's news page, but I will gladly post a link on the Yorkshire website.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
age_master said:
all true, 1 thing though - assuming Katich gets picked, Lehmann really wont be doing much bowling :)
You reckon?

I'd have him ahead of Katich any day of the week, Katich couldn't even do much against English County batsmen!

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
And Lehmann most certainly has...
If he doesn't immidiately get his place back then it will be a gross miscarriage of justice. To pick a totally unproven player like Clarke instead would, quite simply, defy all logic.
You just can't argue with Lehmann's average in his last few games (can't remember whether it's 5 or 6). Love deserves a mention but if Clarke even gets in the Test-squad he's damn fortunate.

Prince EWS said:
Damien martyn was injurred and was automatically put in the side by the selectors, and they had to frop a players who had just made 100* to do it.
Given the opposition it was a safe bet either way.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Zimbabwe came closer than remember in Sydney. There were still three results possible in the last session of day 4, and 2 at the start of day 5.

But really thats irrelevant. The selectors picked Martyn because he had done nothing to deserve to be dropped, and Love wasnt really in the team, he was only filling in.

So really under taht logic which I think the selectors took, the current members of the team are : Hayden, Langer, Ponting, Martyn, Lehmann, GIlchrist, Warne, Lee, Gillespie, McGrath, and with Waugh retirin, it then brings in the pecking order thinking which gives Katich his place.

Now there are always going to be exceptions with this eg. Katich probably wouldnt have gotten dropped for Lehmann, but it really brings in teh simple question of: would you drop Lehmann on current (his last appearances) form? I think not.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Prince EWS said:
I dont think there is any doubt at all that Lehmann will get picked for Australia. He is only out becuase he is injurred, and judges from what the selectors id with Damien Martyn, Lehmann will go in without any discussion really needed.

Damien martyn was injurred and was automatically put in the side by the selectors, and they had to frop a players who had just made 100* to do it. In Lehmann's case, they dont even need a player to be dropped, so really the replacement for Steve Waugh is Simon Katich.

In fact I think even if Steve Waugh hadnt retired then Lehmann would still be looked at to come back, at teh expense of either Martyn or Katich, but teh slectors would actually have to think for that one.

As good as he is, I dont think Clarke has any hope at all of making the side. He is a few spots back in the pecking order.

1. Lehmann

2. Love
3. Clarke
4. Bevan/Hussey/Hodge

I dont really agree with this, but I think this is how the selctors would see it.
Honestly I don't think Clarke is even that high! The selectors seem to bow to public opinion on Clarke, by picking him in the ODI side and in Australia A to keep them happy. But to be realistic, he is nowhere near the Test side at the moment.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Prince EWS said:
Zimbabwe came closer than remember in Sydney. There were still three results possible in the last session of day 4, and 2 at the start of day 5.

But really thats irrelevant. The selectors picked Martyn because he had done nothing to deserve to be dropped, and Love wasnt really in the team, he was only filling in.

So really under taht logic which I think the selectors took, the current members of the team are : Hayden, Langer, Ponting, Martyn, Lehmann, GIlchrist, Warne, Lee, Gillespie, McGrath, and with Waugh retirin, it then brings in the pecking order thinking which gives Katich his place.

Now there are always going to be exceptions with this eg. Katich probably wouldnt have gotten dropped for Lehmann, but it really brings in teh simple question of: would you drop Lehmann on current (his last appearances) form? I think not.
And Lee would get picked over Bichel on current form?
OK, Bichel's been exposed in recent matches, but not quite as badly as Lee has!