• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Road to the 2015 Cricket World Cup

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It's South Africa's year this time. AB, Faf, Amla, are 3 of the best in the format and don't seem chokey. Steyn in the last 2 years has become pretty much as good in ODIs as he is in tests, too.

GGG

State Captain
It's South Africa's year this time. AB, Faf, Amla, are 3 of the best in the format and don't seem chokey. Steyn in the last 2 years has become pretty much as good in ODIs as he is in tests, too.
Wasn't it Fav who ran out AB last world cup vs New Zealand when they were cruising?

long hop

Cricket Spectator
I personally don't think England have much of a chance but i would really like to see us try some more aggressive minded players such as Vince and Riley to see if they can adjust to international cricket. Not that the selectors will be brave enough before a world cup.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
There's still time for WPWB to claim his rightful place in the side.

I think Latham is the favourite to open with Guptill unless we play musical chairs with McCullum again or one of the others comes good. Ryder surely must have exhausted all his chances now and there's no way he'll make it from now to the end of the World Cup without doing something stupid, getting injured or having some kind of freak incident. Besides, do management really want to risk a Ryder bender right before a knock out match?
I just remembered that Neesham is being tested as the back-up opener.
New Zealand in West Indies 2014 : Neesham to be tested as opener in T20s | Cricket News | West Indies v New Zealand | ESPN Cricinfo

That means he's in the squad as cover for Anderson as well as the openers.

So we have 4 potential opening batsmen: Guptill, Ryder, Latham, Neesham. That's not bad.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
It actually belonged in the corny jokes thread. It meant WI are naturally of the dark skin tone and hence dark horses. Now you shouldn't have made me elaborate on that one :p
I find jokes about the colour of people's skin to be offensive. I reported your post and am dissappointed no action was taken. I suspect action would have been forthcoming had u targeted a different ethnic group.

smash84

The Tiger King
I find jokes about the colour of people's skin to be offensive. I reported your post and am dissappointed no action was taken. I suspect action would have been forthcoming had u targeted a different ethnic group.
What? I would honestly like to know why you find such jokes (especially the one that I posted on skin tone) to be offensive? I am genuinely perplexed.

I could have made a similar joke about white horses and it would not have changed anything.

Last edited:

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Are you for real? Not even a remotely offensive joke, was simply a pun based upon the fact that WI players have dark skin

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
yeah, I said it was pretty lame but taking offense at that is frankly ridiculous
Most adults upon learning they have said something that has offended someone typically apologize. Your swipes and ridicule at my sensibilities have been noted and while I was willing to move on from an ill thought through joke, I can't be friends with someone who is unrepentant for making politically incorrect jokes when they are brought to their attention.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
I ask this genuinely, why did Smali's comment offend you?

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Most adults upon learning they have said something that has offended someone typically apologize. Your swipes and ridicule at my sensibilities have been noted and while I was willing to move on from an ill thought through joke, I can't be friends with someone who is unrepentant for making politically incorrect jokes when they are brought to their attention.
Jeez Hurricane, sorry but I think you are way off here.........he asked you outright why he had caused you offense (well before he said it was ridiculous) and you still haven't answered him. And to be frank I think we'd all like to know because I can't see anything offensive about it at all.

Edit: Why would he appologise to you when you haven't seen fit to let him know what he has done wrong??

Last edited:

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I ask this genuinely, why did Smali's comment offend you?
You have asked me that politely so I will give an answer.

This is the google definition of racism
"The belief that all members of each race possess characteristics, abilities, or qualities specific to that race, especially so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races"

I don't agree with that definition and regard it as being too narrow - to me racism extends to differentiating between groups of people based on race.

Why can't we live in a world where people don't comment on what colour skin someone else has? Why does someone's skin colour need to be commented on at all in the first place? Why do we need to be conscious that we are actually sitting next to a "black" person on the train instead of just sitting next to a person.

They say that young kids now days in multi cultural schools are "there" and we aren't there. Apparently young kids aren't even conscious of skin colour and just know the other kids by name and personality.

My second reason is that I don't think you can pick and choose between race based jokes and say that some are harmless and some are not harmless. All jokes about skin colour should be verboten on an Internet forum with people from around the world. If you want to make jokes about black people with your own personal group of friends I won't stop you - just don't do it in front of me.

Finally - if Smali's joke is so harmless - would you feel comfortable going into a rum shop in the West Indies and turning around and saying that joke to someone next to you in a loud voice so everyone can hear?

And if you wouldn't feel comfortable saying it in the West Indies then why feel comfortable saying it online.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Jeez Hurricane, sorry but I think you are way off here.........he asked you outright why he had caused you offense (well before he said it was ridiculous) and you still haven't answered him. And to be frank I think we'd all like to know because I can't see anything offensive about it at all.

Edit: Why would he appologise to you when you haven't seen fit to let him know what he has done wrong??
I am out of here. I find discussions about racism bring out the worst in people. And I mainly interested in discussing cricket with you folks and not values or the definition of racism as we are likely never to agree.