• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** 2014 Asia Cup

Sarun

U19 Debutant

2014 Asia Cup
Hosts: Bangladesh

Defending (2012) Champions: Pakistan
Most Successful Nation: India (5 Titles)
Most Appearances in the Final: Sri Lanka (10 Appearances, 4 Titles)
Debuting (for 2014 tournament) Nation: Afghanistan

# of Teams in 2014 Asia Cup: 5
Participating Teams: Afghanistan, Bangladesh, India, Pakistan & Sri Lanka

February 25 - Pakistan v Sri Lanka, Fatullah
February 26 - Bangladesh v India, Fatullah
February 27 - Afghanistan v Pakistan, Fatullah
February 28 - India v Sri Lanka, Fatullah
March 1 - Bangladesh v Afghanistan, Fatullah
March 2 - India v Pakistan, Mirpur
March 3 - Afghanistan v Sri Lanka, Mirpur
March 4 - Bangladesh v Pakistan, Mirpur
March 5 - Afghanistan v India, Mirpur
March 6 - Bangladesh v Sri Lanka, Mirpur
March 8 - Final, Mirpur

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I actually love the Asia Cup. Afghanistan playing this year makes it all the more awesome. I'd love to see it taken a little more seriously in general by the teams involved.

And yeah, good effort from India's selectors. It'll be interesting to see how Pujara fits into the team; if anything I think he should have Rohit's role as the anchoring opener, but Rohit batting four probably wouldn't work either.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
There are so many viable ways to play around with the batting atm.

Dhawan
Rohit
Kohli
Pujara
Rahane
Dhoni

Dhawan
Pujara
Kohli
Rahane
Rayudu
Dhoni

Dhawan
Rohit
Pujara
Kohli
Rahane
Dhoni

etc etc

Sarun

U19 Debutant
India squad for Asia Cup:
MS Dhoni (capt)
Shikhar Dhawan
Rohit Sharma
Virat Kohli
Cheteshwar Pujara
Ambati Rayudu
Ajinkya Rahane
Ravindra Jadeja
R Ashwin
Bhuvneshwar Kumar
Mohammed Shami
Varun Aaron
Stuart Binny
Amit Mishra
Ishwar Pandey

Source: espncricinfo

Last edited:

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
The pitches offered will make a difference to India's campaign. If they're belters, the Indian team will get belted around. They simply can't survive on a flat deck. They'll need sluggish, cracked pitches or even greentops to be competitive.

The bowling attack can have Pandey, Aaron, Shami and any two of Bucky/Jadders/BinnyJr/Ashwin/Mishra. Ironically, the best Indian spinner in the last five years, home or away, has been Mishra. Impressive strike rate, and economy quite good, he should have been a regular fixture, but Dhoni still prefers his own club/lobby/age-group choices.

I do hope Pandey plays across the whole tournament, because he's shaped up well in the last two domestic seasons and even carried his good form over to South Africa. Surely now, he's a much improved bowler from the one who got manhandled by Chris Gayle in an IPL fixture. Shami may go for plenty of runs, but that's likely, given his style of bowling and lack of height (which explains why his short balls get pasted), and the pace he generates is useful. I'm game for Varun Aaron getting to play the whole tournament. Let's give this bloke all the chances he needs, like they did Jadeja and Ashwin- although Pankaj Singh is still a better choice.

They may need a pinch-hitter to open the innings. I'm not keen on Rohit Sharma opening, because he's not technically equipped to open, nor can he score at a rapid rate. It left a soft spot at the top of the order lately. Vijay would have been ideal here, since he opens even in Tests.

smash84

The Tiger King
India favorites to win the Asia cup this time around.

No matter how much the opposition score, they can score more.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Bangladesh nearly won this the last time right? Pakistan Bangladesh final iirc.

sambha

Cricket Spectator
I am just glad that Ishant is out of the ODI team.....and he is already barking about it.
He is just a pathetic bowler in ODI's.

Glad this will give Varun Aaron more chances who genuinely bowls wicket taking deliveries unlike IsHANT who got wickets when the batsmen gifted them.

Last edited:

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Glad this will give Varun Aaron more chances who genuinely bowls wicket taking deliveries unlike IsHANT who got wickets when the batsmen gifted them.
I hope so too. However, Dhoni has little patience with wicket-taking bowlers who leak a lot of runs, and may opt for the slower and less effective Bhuvneshwar, which won't be a good idea. I too hope Aaron plays the whole tournament, but Pandey needs it more. Ideally, the pace attack should be Pandey-Aaron-Shami, in the lead up to the World Cup.