• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Can a spinner rival Murali and Warne without getting 600+ test wickets?

WindieWeathers

International Regular
Just thinking...is it mainly the test wicket records that seperate them two from the rest or the fashion in which they dominated? both were innovative and had an aura around them...but if someone like Ajmal was only around 28 right now and had another good four of five years which allowed him to reach about 450 test wickets..would he be rated alongside those two?

With short series stuff happening with more regularity these days i wonder if a good spinner could even play enough tests to achieve 600 plus wickets in the current climate?

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
He'd have to be English, Australian or Indian to play enough Tests you'd have thought. And somehow I can't see him being English :(

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The great Nathan Lyon is well on the way with over 100 test match wickets. Still in his mid-20s despite looking like a recently uncovered Egyptian mummy; and with an action which rightly won't lead to an asterix being placed next to his name in the record books, the WPNCOS will probably carry all before him into cricketing immortality.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
The great Nathan Lyon is well on the way with over 100 test match wickets. Still in his mid-20s despite looking like a recently uncovered Egyptian mummy; and with an action which rightly won't lead to an asterix being placed next to his name in the record books, the WPNCOS will probably carry all before him into cricketing immortality.
#greatestoffspinnerofalltime

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
WW, I think 450 Test wickets will be enough for someone to be ranked in the class of Murali and Warne. One of the things that I think they must absolutely do is average under Warne's average. Given Warne's style and aura as you say, people wont ever realistically think a player is that level unless his average is better/lower.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
WW, I think 450 Test wickets will be enough for someone to be ranked in the class of Murali and Warne. One of the things that I think they must absolutely do is average under Warne's average. Given Warne's style and aura as you say, people wont ever realistically think a player is that level unless his average is better/lower.
Yeah good point...i'd also think they'd have to be able to do well away from home too...that is another thing that seperated Warne and Murali from the rest. To many spinners these days struggle away from their own tracks...Ashwin being a prime example.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
To do it in lesser number of wickets, the stats should be devoid of any holes that Murali and Warne have.

the big bambino

International Captain
I haven't checked but I think neither qualified at 450 wickets either. I see what you are getting at though, but just think the standard a little too exacting.

Last edited: