• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England squad named

Craig

World Traveller
England has named an unchanged Test squad to the West Indies with Johnson out and Kirtley dropped. Simon Jones (surprise, surprise) is on standby and is an option to be added to the squad. Richard will be annoyed Robert Damien Bale Croft is left out and Rik will be peeved off that Rikki Clarke is still picked. The Duck will make some joke or something like he usually does.

England Test squad to tour West Indies

Michael Vaughan (Yorkshire, Capt) James Anderson (Lancashire) Gareth Batty (Worcestershire) Mark Butcher (Surrey) Rikki Clarke (Surrey) Paul Collingwood (Durham) Andrew Flintoff (Lancashire) Ashley Giles (Warwickshire) Stephen Harmison (Durham) Nasser Hussain (Essex) Matthew Hoggard (Yorkshire) Geraint Jones (Kent) Chris Read (Nottinghamshire) Marcus Trescothick (Somerset) Graham Thorpe (Surrey)

England one-day squad to tour West Indies

Michael Vaughan (Yorkshire,Capt) James Anderson (Lancashire) Gareth Batty (Worcestershire) Ian Blackwell (Somerset) Rikki Clarke (Surrey) Paul Collingwood (Durham) Andrew Flintoff (Lancashire) Ashley Giles (Warwickshire) James Kirtley (Sussex) Anthony McGrath (Yorkshire) Chris Read (Nottinghamshire) Andrew Strauss (Middlesex) Marcus Trescothick (Somerset)

http://aus.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/CRICKET_NEWS/2004/JAN/039796_ENG_07JAN2004.html

Disscuss.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
They've got it dead right.

If Jones comes through the Duleep Trophy he will, not might be added, while there will be two further seamers added to the ODI party.

And McGrath never got dropped from the ODI squad, so how can he be back? :)

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Leaving James Kirtley out of the Test Squad has got to be one of the most stupid choices ever made. The guy wins a match for England, on his Test Debut no less, against South Africa! Plays another Test and gets dropped for Bangladesh, gets into the Test Squad in Sri Lanka due to James Anderson's injury and is easily the best seamer there, and gets dropped again. What's more, he gets picked in the ODI squad AGAIN even though it's Tests in which he's made his mark!

If someone performs they ignore him...:rolleyes:

Craig

World Traveller
I agree wholeheartly with you Rik.

I also cant believe they would add Simon Jones to the list and put him ahead other people when he hasnt played much cricket of late.

Kabir Ali or Martin Sagger might have been a better bet then Jones who hasnt played much of late.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Rik said:
Leaving James Kirtley out of the Test Squad has got to be one of the most stupid choices ever made.
from the little i have seen of him (also judging by what i have seen of the other bowlers) i have to agree

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Craig said:
I agree wholeheartly with you Rik.

I also cant believe they would add Simon Jones to the list and put him ahead other people when he hasnt played much cricket of late.

Kabir Ali or Martin Sagger might have been a better bet then Jones who hasnt played much of late.
Simon Jones still has to prove his fitness - and hopefully will do so in India (which will also hopefully get rid of the ring-rustiness too).

Kabir Ali just hasn't proved himself to be anywhere near making the step-up - another season of CC cricket might put that right. I whole-heartedly agree about Saggers, though.

I must confess to being quite surprised over Kirtley - but really nothing surprises me too much where the England set-up is concerned nowadays (thinks : has it ever?)

Craig

World Traveller
Hasnt Kabir Ali played about two or so seasons of CC full time? Perhaps even 3.

I'm not saying he is good enough, I just cant quite work out how Simon Jones worked himself up the pecking order when he hasnt done much at international level. To be fair if he learnt to slide he would of played more.

If you are going to slide keep your feet in the air.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Craig said:

I'm not saying he is good enough, I just cant quite work out how Simon Jones worked himself up the pecking order when he hasnt done much at international level. To be fair if he learnt to slide he would of played more.

If you are going to slide keep your feet in the air.
1. Yes
2. Pace
3. Yes

Craig

World Traveller
Dont know about pace, he is 10km per hour slower then Brett Lee at peak pace. Stephen Harmison would be the quickest of the Englangish pace bowler.

So my estimation is that Jones is fast medium?

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Craig said:
Yes, he has and he also has a very good record. I rate him as a real rising star.

He also has 5 test wickets, at an average of 28, in his 1 test in the summer.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Craig said:
Dont know about pace, he is 10km per hour slower then Brett Lee at peak pace. Stephen Harmison would be the quickest of the Englangish pace bowler.

So my estimation is that Jones is fast medium?
That makes him about as quick as Brett Lee anyway (because Lee is about 10km below his own peak pace anyway).

Well, on his debut against India he bowled a few balls which were witheringly quick - and remember, he didn't get the new ball. His first-innings dismissals weren't much to write home about (Ratra and AA) but he did for them both with fast, short deliveries. In the second innings, he came on first change and straight away blasted Sehwag out with one of the fastest balls I've seen by an Englishman since Alan Ward (you won't remember him).

His second test was the one he got injured in, having just got rid of Langer and bowled just one spell as first change.

Where do you get your information on his speed from? Is it because Cricinfo describe him as 'medium fast' on his player page?

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
halsey said:
Yes, he has and he also has a very good record. I rate him as a real rising star.

He also has 5 test wickets, at an average of 28, in his 1 test in the summer.
At Headingley, where he was by no means the worst.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
No Martin Bicknell? I think the last match in which he played was good for him, since he picked 4 wickets in the last innings. He can also get some runs. Or is he too slow on those pitches in the WI?

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
luckyeddie said:
At Headingley, where he was by no means the worst.
Unfortunately he was almost scapegoated, and Vaughan refused to show any faith in him, despite the fact that, while he was bowling quite a few 4 balls, he was bowling unplayedable deliveries too. He was playing the strike bowler quite well.