• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Most classical and perfect batsmen i have ver seen

JBMAC

State Captain
Most of those pale into insicnifigance against the likes of Gower, G.Chappell, Kim Hughes,Peter May ,Ted Dexter, Colin Cowdrey,Paul Sheehan, just to name but a few. Do your homework gentlemen on the history of the game before making too wide statements

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Most of those pale into insicnifigance against the likes of Gower, G.Chappell, Kim Hughes,Peter May ,Ted Dexter, Colin Cowdrey,Paul Sheehan, just to name but a few. Do your homework gentlemen on the history of the game before making too wide statements
Thread was about the most classical and perfect batsmen he's seen. It wasn't meant to be a wankfest on who's seen the most players play or blown the most candles on a cake.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
None were as elegant as Mark Waugh.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
He wasn't perfect by any means but I loved to watch Carl Hooper bat. All class and beauty and all with minimal effort.

JBMAC

State Captain
Thread was about the most classical and perfect batsmen he's seen. It wasn't meant to be a wankfest on who's seen the most players play or blown the most candles on a cake.
For your information my ill informed rude chum. All the batsmen mentioned in that thread I have seen play:@

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
He's not denying that, he's saying it's ridiculous to suggest that younger members all ought to go "do their homework" on classy batsman from before their time when the thread is specifically about batsman one has seen. You've seen a lot of elegant batsmen bat, of which I am rather envious. I, and many others, have not seen such a range of batsmen.

I might very well think David Gower, Greg Chappell or Frank Worrell were the most elegant batsman of all time; that doesn't change the fact I never saw them bat because I wasn't alive and hence can't name them in this discussion.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Using the nomination of Phil Hughes and Heef's response as a guide, I'm beginning to think that MS Dhoni's elegance and classical strokeplay is unparalleled in the history of the game. The way he plays fast bowling on seaming decks is particularly attractive to the eye.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Using the nomination of Phil Hughes and Heef's response as a guide, I'm beginning to think that MS Dhoni's elegance and classical strokeplay is unparalleled in the history of the game. The way he plays fast bowling on seaming decks is particularly attractive to the eye.
I'm a big fan of his cover drive, though I'll let Uppercut take that one

ohnoitsyou

International Regular
Off current players, he's not exactly classical but Jesse Ryder. The most perfect current classical player would probably be Ian Bell, with Kallis's retirement robbing him.

Muloghonto

U19 12th Man
This is easy. The most classically correct Batsman I've seen is Gavaskar. A shade below him in classical perfection ( high elbow, front foot to the pitch of the ball, perfect backfoot balance, etc) is Tendulkar. A bit below him is Dravid, simply because Dravid didnt get to the pitch of the ball as consistently against spinners.
Everyone else has some flaw or another in their technique(that alone doesnt make them lesser batsmen mind you). Lara had too high a backlift and his blade did not come down straight, it came down angled ( part of the reason why BCL gave so many catches to wkt keeper/1st slip off of McGrath, Donald, Gough, etc).