• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

ICC considers a Relegation and Promotion system for Test Cricket

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
ICC news : ICC mulls two-tier Test cricket | Cricket News | Cricinfo ICC Site | ESPN Cricinfo

World cricket's custodians are to consider a revolutionary proposal to bring relegation and promotion to Test matches as a partial sop to the imminent death of the World Test Championship (WTC).

The ICC executive board is expected to consider the proposal at the next round of meetings later this month, the same gathering expected to end any hopes for the WTC due to the reluctance of broadcasters and the lack of certainty around the format of an event that was postponed from its original 2013 launch date and re-launched for 2017 last October.
ESPNcricinfo understands that the board will instead entertain the promotion/relegation plan, which will open up the possibility of nations like Ireland and Afghanistan earning their way into Test matches while at the same time placing the likes of Zimbabwe and Bangladesh on the precipice. It will be introduced on the "no disadvantage" condition that none of the current ICC Full Member nations would lose that status and its financial advantages.

Instead, the Associate nations will have the chance to press for spots at the Test match table on the basis of performance against the lower-ranked Full Members. This would provide a strong incentive for nations currently playing Test matches to improve themselves while also offering opportunities for Associates to compete at the highest level of the game.

Precise details of how promotion and relegation from Test cricket would work in practice are yet to be revealed, but the concept of play-offs for Test status every four years is believed to be one of the options under consideration. The idea of dividing Test cricket up into two tiers has been debated for some time, with various noted voices on the game expressing opinions on its merits.

In 2013, the former England captain Michael Vaughan suggested that the incentives provided by promotion and relegation would also add context and value to Test cricket, perhaps to the point of dissuading some players from fringe nations prioritising the IPL over representing their country at that time of year.

"Just imagine if New Zealand have to come to England and win one out of three Tests to stay in the first division or win promotion," Vaughan wrote in the Telegraph. "If there is a proper financial incentive to playing in the first division, like there is in football's Premier League, then players would be less likely to choose the IPL instead."

In addition to promotion and relegation, the ICC is expected to consider increasing the financial rewards on offer to teams earning the No. 1 spot on the Test rankings, for which the Test Championship Mace is currently awarded on an annual basis. It is also likely that regulations requiring all teams to play each other regularly will be relaxed - a state of affairs that has already begun to exist.

There have been an increasing number of diversions from the Future Tours Programme, as nations make bilateral agreements that flout the authority of officially agreed schedule. India recently reduced their tour of South Africa to the minimum two Test matches while adding two unscheduled home fixtures against the West Indies, while this week it was confirmed that Pakistan's series against Australia in October would be downsized from the earlier agreed three Tests to two.

The ICC has previously flagged that promotion and relegation will become part of the landscape for ODIs, coming into effect following the 2019 World Cup.

I just hope for NZ's sake there are more than 6 teams in the top division :p

Last edited:

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
Think you missed the asterisk

* as agreed to by the ECB, BCCI, and CA - England, India and Australia will be permanent members of the top group. All the rest can gfy.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Must admit that I'm against it.

I can see the day in 30 years when people are saying that Mominul Haque (for example) can't be the best batsman of all time despite averaging 75 because he never batted against Dale Steyn and bullied Ireland and Afghanistan.

I also wonder what will happen with ODI and T20 series - will they also only be between teams in the same division? I guarantee Australia (for example) won't like having to only play minnows in T20s.

Test cricket is actually quite competitive at the mo. I wish the ICC would rather:

-make all test series 3 matches long (who cares what the Poms and Aussies think)
-play four day (day/night) tests (108 overs a day)
-make teams honour the future tours programme

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Am not a fan at all. I've no doubt that the idea of having play-off Test or Test series and the excitement (read: money) that would accompany it is a large factor in the ICC's considerations, but the idea that you need the threat of relegation or promise of promotion to provide teams with an incentive doesn't make much sense to me. Playing Tests for your country should be incentive enough and if it isn't, that's an issue with the players or the specific board rather than the Test structure as is.

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
Terrible idea. Would only lessen interest in the game because relegated countries will switch over to football or rugby codes or something. England, Australia and India will never allow themselves to be relegated either. Some rushed legislation would save them at the last minute.

Garson007

State Vice-Captain
I love the idea. :wub:

Promotion/relegation is the only league format that works in any sport. It would be a significant step into turning test cricket into a league of sorts.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Most promotion/relegation sports have more than 8-9 teams. That is what test cricket in reality has.

Garson007

State Vice-Captain
Most promotion/relegation sports have more than 8-9 teams. That is what test cricket in reality has.
Test cricket is also played over 5 days and with multiple matches at a host's stadiums. Having more than 8 teams just doesn't make sense.

Let's consider a four year period with 8 teams. If every team is forced to play between three and five matches against each opponent home and away they'll need to play four series a year. That is (4*3*5=)60 to 100 days a year. That's a lot for test cricket, but conceivably doable. How the rankings are done will have to change a bit. ODIs and T20s would form part of the series if they so wish, but the rankings will be done as they are now. Ultimately 8 teams might just prove too many; five, six or even seven makes for a better number.

Edit: It will improve the traction for lower ranked teams (tier two/three test divisions) because they get to play their peers and have some fluidity. I also absolutely love the WCL, without which Afghanistan wouldn't even be on the map.

Last edited:

morgieb

Unless they give Test status to Ireland/Afghanistan/whatever then I'm opposed to this proposal.

Garson007

State Vice-Captain
Unless they give Test status to Ireland/Afghanistan/whatever then I'm opposed to this proposal.
The top two tiers are likely to keep their test status (under my proposal). If they go with 8-10 top tier teams, then only those will have test status and the second tier is likely to not be. The problem with an 8-10 team tier is that nations will continue to be ignored - so it won't solve any problems; it's just too large for a proper league.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
If this provides a clear pathway for teams like Ireland to move into full test status, then I'm all for it.

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
It's all doomed really. I wouldn't like to be the guy with the job of keeping test cricket going. Corrupt or self interested boards. Dwindling interest from fans. Limited number of nations.

How exaclty are countries like Zimbabwe or New Zealand meant to keep up with India? Then once there is a two tier system the divide becomes much greater and teams like NZ or WI who are left playing inferior teams slowly die.

Wish it would end now and I won't have to watch the next however many years as it slowly dissolves away.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Not particularly wrapped about it, only silver lining would be if it means longer Test series.

I don't think that the requirement to play all sides home and away over a period is necessarily the way to go though.

OverratedSanity

Hate this idea. The only way teams like Zimbabwe and Bangladesh and Afghanistan can get better is by playing more matches regularly against test class opposition, atleast against the lower ranked ones like west indies and NZ. But this doesn't mean we need a separate tier altogether. It'll benefit no one.

Just let it be one tier... Atleast give the minnows one off tests against the better nations regularly.

Last edited: