• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** ICC Cricket World Cup Qualifier 2013/14

Kweek

Cricketer Of The Year
There isn't going to be an Intercontinental Cup for (at least) a little while because of the T20 and ODI World Cups coming up; the associate and affiliate teams want to focus on limited overs cricket for the next year and a bit. They'll be out of the top division of the WCL but the last ICup had a couple of teams that weren't in that; I'm not entirely sure how they decide which teams play in it but it definitely doesn't appear to be based purely on one day cricket.

It actually is the knock-out of Dutch cricket. With this terrible qualifying tournament The Netherlands have lost ODI status after the tournament.
Losing ODI status means losing most of the funding. (I guess about 80%) and the loss of ODI status and being kicked out of the English Pro 40 league means that the Dutch main sponsor ABN AMRO will probably pull out.

Loss of funding likely means the end of all youth recruitment at schools and winter indoor facilities. Summer camps, funding for youth tournaments. All gone.
Very ****ty as the numbers of active cricketers have been going down.

Last edited:

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Kweek! Good to see you.

It must be gutting to see the Dutch fall off the top table given their history and some of their players.

Energetic

U19 Cricketer
So who are the 6 new associate teams that will have ODI status? I know Ireland and Afghanistan already have them but the other 4???

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
And Kenya's ODI status very much in the balance going into Thursday's match against Scotland. Woe is we!

TimAngas

State Vice-Captain
Also, Ryan Ten Doeschate will now finish with the best ODI batting average ever, considering he only plays in WCs.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Whoa. The wheels have really come off PNG's campaign in the last couple of games. A shame, really - would have loved to see them at the World Cup.

TimAngas

State Vice-Captain
If Scotland lose by a medium sized margin using up almost all their 50 overs. HKs gun batting performance of 259 in 36.1 overs should get them over the line to qualify. What an effort.

Last edited:

TimAngas

State Vice-Captain
Or Taylor; either way. :p

Don't care what anyone says - Hong Kong progressing to the World Cup in place of Scotland would've been in no way good for cricket.
Hmm I'm not so sure. The thing about Scotland is that most talent tends to get gobbled up into the County system, and the current fringe "Scotland National Team", having been around WC Qualification for 20 years now, doesn't seem to be progressing much. The UAE, China, Nepal, PNG and Uganda, on the other hand really have untapped cricket potential and have risen meteorically in the past few years. Most I think are bound to fall back again like Kenya and the Netherlands have now but some I hope pull Afghanistans and Irelands push for places 11-12.

Last edited:

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
Hmm I'm not so sure. The thing about Scotland is that most talent tends to get gobbled up into the County system, and the current fringe "Scotland National Team", having been around WC Qualification for 20 years now, doesn't seem to be progressing much. The UAE, China, Nepal, PNG and Uganda, on the other hand really have untapped cricket potential and have risen meteorically in the past few years. Most I think are bound to fall back again like Kenya and the Netherlands have now but some I hope pull Afghanistans and Irelands push for places 11-12.
Speaking very specifically to the Uganda case. Much of the tapping of what potential they have is tied to the health of game in Kenya. Plenty of cross pollenation on that end. Same applies to Rwanda, who you can expect to see In whatever WCL format comes in from now on. Its pretty much similar to how South African cricket supports Namibian cricket.