• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** ICC Cricket World Cup Qualifier 2013/14

alvarez

First Class Debutant
Kenya just chased down 266 in 36 overs to knock the Dutch out of the tournament and 2015 World Cup. Crazy run chase.

Hong Kong look really good, and Scotland hitting their straps. PNG the big surprise topping group B.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Aga really cooked up an important innings there. Bit of a shock in the Namibia game too.

Hat trick for Haseeb Amjad for Honkers in their game. That looks like the only current match which could be close one.

alvarez

First Class Debutant
I always thought Aga would be able to dominate at associate level. Finally it looks like he is definitely capable of delivering. Irfan Karim looks like a run machine.

The Netherlands not qualifying is a huge surprise.

HeathDavisSpeed

Looks like a win for Hong Kong will basically send them through, whilst Group B is wide open to anyone other than Uganda.

alvarez

First Class Debutant
I always thought Aga would be able to dominate at associate level. Finally it looks like he is definitely capable of delivering. Irfan Karim looks like a run machine.

The Netherlands not qualifying is a huge surprise.

alvarez

First Class Debutant
Would Tom Cooper, ten Doeschate or Nannes make themselves available if the Dutch qualify for the World Cup?
They probably would, but that loss today knocks them out of contention. Today was the last of the round robin matches before the super 6 stage. Top 3 from each group advance.

HeathDavisSpeed

Well, then they've effectively valued the Big Bash/HRV Cup ahead of playing in the World Cup, which is a bit of a shame, but I guess there's more money in it for 'em. Shrug.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Would Tom Cooper, ten Doeschate or Nannes make themselves available if the Dutch qualify for the World Cup?
Not sure about Nannes; he only plays T20 cricket now so he might not be interested, but as for the rest - yep. Timm van der Gugten too, who is generally just way too quick for associate bats.

They're only skipping this tournament because they're busy playing domestic cricket in Australia/NZ. As I said before, it'd probably be better for the World Cup as a spectacle if they qualified due to that, but at the end of the day these players haven't been poached by other countries - they were developed in other countries and represent the Dutch on heritage grounds, so it's hard for them to complain all that much.

HeathDavisSpeed

So, we're looking at Namibia and PNG from group B with 2 out of Hong Kong, UAE and Scotland from group A.

A bit of a turn up for the books, I'd say.

alvarez

First Class Debutant
PNG, Namibia and Kenya go through from Group B.

Scotland, Hong Kong and UAE from Group A, group A final standings will come down to the 2 ongoing matches between Canada v Scotland (Scotland are trouncing them) and UAE V Hong Kong.

HeathDavisSpeed

Top 3 from each group? Why bother with a group stage in the first place if you're letting more teams through than you're kicking out?

Go Honkers & PNG!

alvarez

First Class Debutant
Top 3 from each group? Why bother with a group stage in the first place if you're letting more teams through than you're kicking out?

Go Honkers & PNG!
Yes, top 3 from each group. They now go on to a Super 6 stage, which has been used at the actual World Cup previously. I think they play 3 matches each in the super 6 stage, with the top 2 teams qualifying for the 2015 World Cup, and the top 4 teams gain ODI status. So as far as I'm aware, Netherlands and Canada are no longer ODI teams.

Oh and each team carries their current points into the Super 6 stage.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Netherlands will probably be annoyed with missing Timm van der Gugten more than anyone else really, for two reasons. Firstly, there's no way Ragheb Aga would've got beyond 20 having to face him. Secondly, he took the tournament off because he has a Big Bash contract, but he hasn't been selected for a single game in any format of Australian domestic cricket this season, so it was all for nothing.

BC_fan_abored

School Boy/Girl Captain
Wow good on PNG, they were the real big surprise for me. They definitely have my support going forward. I like the fact that they are much less reliant on South Asian expats, means they are really developing a cricket culture of their own and not just relying on immigrants and talent from other countries to prop up the game as can be seen with Canada, the Netherlands and the UAE. Also will be rooting for Namibia as they have also looked good throughout and most likely have a rosier outlook for improvement being in that South African cricket comp.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
This means The Netherlands is out of the Intercontinental cup right? Huge.
There isn't going to be an Intercontinental Cup for (at least) a little while because of the T20 and ODI World Cups coming up; the associate and affiliate teams want to focus on limited overs cricket for the next year and a bit. They'll be out of the top division of the WCL but the last ICup had a couple of teams that weren't in that; I'm not entirely sure how they decide which teams play in it but it definitely doesn't appear to be based purely on one day cricket.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
Have I been vindicated about Irfan Karim? I certainly think so! :wub:

Last edited: