• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** ICC Cricket World Cup Qualifier 2013/14

alvarez

First Class Debutant
Apologies if there is already a thread for this, I couldn't find it.

This starts in New Zealand in a few days.

GROUP A

Nepal
UAE
Hong Kong
Scotland
Canada

GROUP B

Kenya
Netherlands
Namibia
PNG
Uganda

My understanding is that the top two teams qualify for the 2015 World Cup and the top 6 teams gain ODI status. Not sure how many of you follow associate cricket, but thought I'd post anyway.

I'm backing Netherlands and Kenya for the top 2 spots.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The Dutch should be the best team here, but group A looks a tough proposition for Scotland & Canada. Nepal, UAE and Hong Kong have all been improving recently, whilst Namibia don't seem to have made much progress and PNG and Uganda look noticeably weaker than the Dutch.

Still, who will prefer NZ conditions? Do the Dutch have Peter Borren in their team? If so, then a bit of home town advantage there. Canada to recall Geoff Barnett and Ian Billcliff.

alvarez

First Class Debutant
The Dutch should be the best team here, but group A looks a tough proposition for Scotland & Canada. Nepal, UAE and Hong Kong have all been improving recently, whilst Namibia don't seem to have made much progress and PNG and Uganda look noticeably weaker than the Dutch.

Still, who will prefer NZ conditions? Do the Dutch have Peter Borren in their team? If so, then a bit of home town advantage there. Canada to recall Geoff Barnett and Ian Billcliff.
Borren is captaining The Netherlands.

Kenya have recalled some veterans in Steve Tikolo, Thomas Odoyo and Lameck Onyango.

HeathDavisSpeed

Is there a fixture list anywhere with locations where the matches are being played? Might go and see one or two if there are any locally.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
That is insane. And, while not quite as bad, Mt Maunganui's a bit out of reach for a day trip for Aucklanders too.

alvarez

First Class Debutant
Bloody hell. Nearest match to me is in New Plymouth.

Whilst Christchurch gets games, as well as additional matches held locally in Rangiora and Lincoln.

This is the only match I could reasonably drive to:

Sunday, 19th January: 12th Match, Group B - Netherlands v Papua New Guinea
Pukekura Park, New Plymouth

Tempting...
That'd be a decent match. I wouldn't be surprised to see PNG do well in this. They have been playing in the Premier Cricket League in Adelaide. I can only assume Australian pitches are similar to those in NZ, although obviously weather conditions are different.

HeathDavisSpeed

That'd be a decent match. I wouldn't be surprised to see PNG do well in this. They have been playing in the Premier Cricket League in Adelaide. I can only assume Australian pitches are similar to those in NZ, although obviously weather conditions are different.
Hrmm. Pitches in NZ are markedly different, in general.

But yeah, Netherlands vs. PNG should be a decent game, even though the Dutch will be firm favourites. Plus Pukekura Park is one of the best grounds in the world to watch cricket,

uvelocity

International Coach
most of the roads i went on the south island were bewdy, except the really steep ones around akaroa

HeathDavisSpeed

most of the roads i went on the south island were bewdy, except the really steep ones around akaroa
Yeah, they can be a bit hit & miss. Definitely better than Tasmanian roads, which were awful. South Island East Coast roads are decent enough, but West Coast is pretty hard yakka, but the scenery is stunning.

If we're talking reality though, then New Plymouth is a 5 hour drive one-way from Wellington, which given there are plenty of great cricket grounds in between seems a little harsh on the cricket fans of Wellington. Especially when the Basin is available and not getting used for the World Cup proper.

alvarez

First Class Debutant
Some warm up games today.

Canada defeated Netherlands by 39 runs
Namibia defeated Nepal by 4 runs
Hong Kong defeated Kenya by 2 runs
Scotland defeated PNG by 7 wickets
UAE defeated Uganda by 73 runs.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Nepal was getting dominated when I last checked, good to see they actually caught up and put up a fight.

The African nations really haven't improved at all have they.

alvarez

First Class Debutant
Nepal was getting dominated when I last checked, good to see they actually caught up and put up a fight.

The African nations really haven't improved at all have they.
It appears not. Kenya are going backwards. Their young opener Irfan Karim did carry his bat for 130 today, pity those around him didn't do so well.

alvarez

First Class Debutant
Final warm up games today.

Kenya d Nepal by one wicket.
UAE d Netherlands by 6 wickets
Scotland d Namibia by 63 runs
PNG d Hong Kong by 42 runs
Uganda d Canada by 71 runs.

Some mixed results in the warm ups. If they are any indication of anything, Scotland and UAE look strong.