Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Quickest bowler playing international cricket ATM?

U19 12th Man

Quickest bowler playing international cricket ATM?

Milne got up to an impressive 153kph. He's definitely amongst the fastest bowlers playing ATM. I don't think I've seen any quick deliveries this summer.

How fast are the other quick bowlers bowling at the moment?

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    Johnson sustained some serious pace for a serious length of time during the Ashes. It isn't often a bloke can do that. Milne was probably helped by knowing he only had to bowl 4 overs so could just steam in and go hell for leather.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Jeets doesn't really deserve to be bowling.
    Well yeah Tendy is probably better than Bradman, but Bradman was 70 years ago, if he grew up in the modern era he'd still easily be the best. Though he wasn't, can understand the argument for Tendy even though I don't agree.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

Dan
    Global Moderator / Cricket Web Staff Member Dan's Avatar
    A small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Betelgeuse
    Yeah, Johnson was averaging around 146-147km/h all through the series. Pretty sure he hit 153 or 154 on a couple of occasions.

Huge number of guys who operate in the high 130s to mid 140s for their stock delivery - Broad, Anderson, Harris, Steyn, Roach, Junaid etc. - but only a handful who can aim for that 150 barrier with any regularity. You'd probably have Johnson, Milne, Pattinson and Steyn as the only 4 playing international cricket with any regularity who can get there. Johnson definitely the one who is most consistently quick.

On top of a pile of money, surrounded by many beautiful women
    The quickest regular test bowlers are Steyn (in short bursts), Johnson and Morkel in that order. When Steyn really goes into psychopath mode he can get it up into the low-mid 150's, but Johnson would definitely have a faster average speed these days. Didn't see Johnson bowl any quicker than 150 in the ashes, but with that slingy low arm action he'd actually feel quicker to the batsmen who take longer to pick him up. Pattinson, Cummins and de Lange can (or could - hopefully their injuries haven't hurt their speed) also hit 150.
    Last edited by Bahnz; 12-01-2014 at 07:07 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I can think of a list of Sydney Grade posters who would contribute a better average post than Bahnz.
    Maow like no one can hear you maowing.

U19 12th Man
    The thing about Milne bowling is he doesn't look like he is exerting himself. He could well hit 160kph when he's at his prime.

Interesting you have Anderson in there - in England his pace is always hovering around 135kph, and the rest of the English lose a bit of pace too, but take them to Australia or New Zealand and they're regularly 138-142. It could be differences in the guns, but the paces of the spinners always stay pretty standard.

I've always wondered why either the guns show slower pace in general in England for pace or every bowler in England dials it back. #randomtangent

Quote Originally Posted by jonbrooks View Post
    The thing about Milne bowling is he doesn't look like he is exerting himself. He could well hit 160kph when he's at his prime.
    Heavily doubt it. He's already 21 and he's not bowling any quicker than he was when he was 18, so I don't think he'll get much faster than he is now. I do think he'll be able to sustain his top pace for longer periods of time as he gets stronger. When he was bowling in ODI's in SRL last year he was generally only in the 135-142 range.
    Last edited by Bahnz; 12-01-2014 at 07:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jonbrooks View Post
    Nah, only a rare few bowl that fast. Lee did it a little bit, and Tait and Shoaib at their quickest were there consistently. Milne is bowling 150+ because he's in good rhythm, and often when bowlers try to bowl as fast as they can they bowl slower than they otherwise would (hi Neil Wagner). Milne was told to let the handbrake off by Edgar so I think it's fair to say he was bowling at maximum pace. 150kph is pretty nice as is.

International Debutant ohnoitsyou's Avatar
    Heard that Milne got clocked at 156 a couple of years back? Any truth to those claims, not hard to imagine it was a lenient gun?

I reckon he will put on another couple of kmh in the next few years as he gets fitter and stronger, unless injury strikes of course.

U19 12th Man
    Quote Originally Posted by ohnoitsyou View Post
    Heard that Milne got clocked at 156 a couple of years back? Any truth to those claims, not hard to imagine it was a lenient gun?

I reckon he will put on another couple of kmh in the next few years as he gets fitter and stronger, unless injury strikes of course.
    I agree but others don't share our thoughts.

Probably Nuwan Kulesakara
    There are two colours in my head

Can't remember him ever hitting that speed, though I can't claim to have seen every ball that he's ever bowled.

History of Milne speeds:
    2010 Champion's League: Top speed of 146
    2010 T20's v Pakistan: Top speed of 151
    2012 ODI's v SRL: Top speed of 145
    2014 T20 v WI: Top speed of 153

International Debutant ohnoitsyou's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bahnz View Post
    Can't remember him ever hitting that speed, though I can't claim to have seen every ball that he's ever bowled.

History of Milne speeds:
    2010 Champion's League: Top speed of 146
    2010 T20's v Pakistan: Top speed of 151
    2012 ODI's v SRL: Top speed of 145
    2014 T20 v WI: Top speed of 153
    it was of a cricinfo comment, so a liberal dose of salt was used

it was of a cricinfo comment, so a liberal dose of salt was used
    Haha, you can basically flush that one then given that according to cricinfo posters Murphy Su'a was a class allrounder.

Btw has anyone been following Stuff's "submit your cricket World XI" thing that they've got going on atm? One person picked Darren Sammy, Matt Prior and George Bailey.

Duck Hunt Champion! Plops Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Bahnz View Post
    Haha, you can basically flush that one then given that according to cricinfo posters Murphy Su'a was a class allrounder.

Btw has anyone been following Stuff's "submit your cricket World XI" thing that they've got going on atm? One person picked Darren Sammy, Matt Prior and George Bailey.
    The George Bailey one made me giggle.
    Direbirds FTW!

Wellington will win the whole thing next year. Mark my words.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    I'll offer up my avatar to Athlai forever if Wellington wins the Champions League.
    President of T.I.T.S
    Tamim Is Talented Society

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information